Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easter Jeep Safari 2018 - Event Date: 24 Mar. 2018 - 01 Apr. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Easter Jeep Safari 2018
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 8:42pm
Hi All,

I've been getting a few PMs from members about EJS so I figured I'd start the thread.

I plan to be there Friday night March 23rd, but if my schedule allows, I'll be there a day earlier.

I heard that the Friday Flat Fender Fun Run is the Pickle this year.

If anyone is coming, I'm staying at the Canyonlands campground in town so c'mon by. Just look for an army jeep in the back row by the school.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 11:56pm
jpet,

Thanks for starting this thread and I plan on being there starting the 24th unless I can get out of work earlier.  I have a place to stay but I'm new to the EJS event.  I'm driving my 2012 JK 2DR and plan on towing my 1946 CJ2A.  I will likely switch between the two jeeps throughout the week but I'm interested in taking the '46 out on some of the trails.  I have a couple of questions.

1.  For the flat fenders, are you signing up for particular trails each day via the www.rr4w.com site or is there an informal plan for each day?

2.  I don't have a roll bar for my cj2a, is that a problem?

3.  What type of radios are the flat fender members using - the CB or the FRS channels?

4.  Lastly, my cj2a is stock so do you have any recommendations on trail levels for a stock 2A?  I just received my EJS 2018 book in the mail today so I'm still researching the variety of levels and trails.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to the event.

Dave
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 12:41am
Dave,
Don’t want tp speak for Jeff, but we are sharing a camping spot and will probably be on the same trails together all week. 

The Red Rock guys that put EJS and guide all the sanctioned trail rides (the ones on the schedule in your book and on their web page) require roll bars and seat belts. So your flattie, like mine, won’t be allowed on any of their rides. 

Jeff and I are mostly planning to play it by ear as to what we do. Jeff’s Bam Bam is properly equipped so if he signs up for one of the red rock rides then I will probably ride shotgun with him.

The Flat Fender Fun Run is on the last Friday. It will be a challenge for your stock flattie on the Pickle but lots of fun. There will be other stock rigs there. Everyone helps and cheers on each other.

Swing by the Canyonlands campground. As Jeff said, our camp spot is on the very back near the fence between the campground and the high school.

Edited by smfulle - 14 Jan. 2018 at 12:43am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 12:54am
Originally posted by dluber dluber wrote:

1.  For the flat fenders, are you signing up for particular trails each day via the www.rr4w.com site or is there an informal plan for each day?
I am signing up for Poison Spider on Thursday because nivrat is gunning on the trail. Other than that, I’m just winging it.
Quote 2.  I don't have a roll bar for my cj2a, is that a problem?
It is a problem if you flip over . If you want to sign up for an official rr4w trail, a roll bar is required. For some trails, 33” or even 35” tires are required. On some trails, lockers are required. You need to register your JK on rr4w.com. You can pre-register now. The rr4w Magazine will tell you what the trail requirements are.

If you just show up and go wheeling., (Like I am every day but Thursday), you can run without a roll bar so long as rr4w is not using the trail that da y. There is a trail grid in the magazine that shows you what days the trails are being used:

Quote 3.  What type of radios are the flat fender members using - the CB or the FRS channels?

Im bringing my FRS radio but I’m the past, the group has been so small we didn’t need them.
Quote 4.  Lastly, my cj2a is stock so do you have any recommendations on trail levels for a stock 2A?  I just received my EJS 2018 book in the mail today so I'm still researching the variety of levels and trails.

lots of trails can be done with open differentials. You may need to bypass some stuff or take the JK. It’s all in he book although I think we have proven that the recommended tire sizes are overkill.

Look forward to hooking up with you Dave!

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2018 at 12:56am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 12:58am
..... also, Quadratec puts on a BBQ on Wednesday Tuesday evening. Last these we parked our flattys together at the event.

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2018 at 11:06am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 1:40am
Thanks for the additional details and I'm glad to hear there are trails open outside of the official event.  I've been to Moab a few time before with my JK, but it's always been on the beginner trails - still great scenery.  (potash rd, shafer switchbacks, long canyon, white rim, chicken corners..).  I made a few upgrades to the JK since my last visit, so I will probably try some more difficult trails with that setup (35" tires & 3.5" lift).

I will put the BBQ on the calendar and look for the group.  I will also swing by the campground once I arrive.

Thanks,
Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:02am
BTW, if you enjoy photography too, there are usually some good opportunities to capture the Milky Way at night in either Arches or Canyonlands National Parks. This is from Arches a couple of years ago...

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:08am
The BBQ tickets are free, but you have to register to get them. If I were you Dave, I'd pre-register your vehicle now:

https://rr4w.com/site-registration.cfm

Then trail registration is on Jan 23rd.

Let's see some pics of the JK. Does it have lockers?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:17am
Jpet,

I preregistered my jeeps today and I will have a plan together before the 23rd on which official trails I will register for.

Here are a couple shots of the JK - one flat towing my column shift '46 and the other on Long Canyon trail before the lift.  No lockers at this time but I may have them installed before EJS.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:26am
This is the '46 I plan on bringing to EJS. 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:28am
Very cool! I'm chomping at the bit to get there!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 4:30am
Glad to see you're going to be there Dave. Our group of Flat fender guys have a pretty fun time. Friday's Flatfender run is really something. 
Pretty sure the BBQ is Tuesday evening Jeff. The Boy Scouts also have a fundraiser dinner on Thursday night. It is there only fundraiser for the year. Nice to support the locals who open up their town to us. Will be signing up for Poison Spyder on Thursday also to hang out with Mike.
I will be there Saturday to Saturday. Staying at Canyonland's also, pretty close to Stan and Jeff.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 11:05am
Yup. BBQ is Tuesday. Not sure what I was thinking
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 7:17pm
Just a reminder, If you want to sign up for a RR4W trail, registration starts tomorrow at 10:00 MST. The trails can fill up quickly. I'm signing up for Poison Spider on Thursday..... if I can.

Again, you don't have to sign up for any trails to come.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 1:05am
Jpet,

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to make my final selects tonight so I can be ready tomorrow.  I think I will signup for the RR4W trails with using my 2012 JK and look for other opportunities for my flat fender outside of the scheduled events. 

I've been getting the flat fender ready - installed a new flywheel ring gear, pilot bearing, and clutch kit this weekend.  Almost back together.

Dave

Edited by dluber - 23 Jan. 2018 at 1:07am
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 2:59am
We are joining in on the fun! Our plan is to arrive Sunday evening and depart after the flat fender run on Friday. We have a couple tent sites reserved at Canyonlands and will try to sign up for the Poison Spyder run taking place on Thursday. Looking forward to it!       
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

We are joining in on the fun! Our plan is to arrive Sunday evening and depart after the flat fender run on Friday. We have a couple tent sites reserved at Canyonlands and will try to sign up for the Poison Spyder run taking place on Thursday. Looking forward to it!       

Yea! Yea! Yea!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 3:59am
That is rockin’ awesome!! Who all is “we”?

Looks like the “Qwaaazy 8’s” will be invading Moab!!

Now let’s talk Bob W into coming too!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>