Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My M416 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 7:02pm
The only problem with that is, do I match the axle to the 2A, the TJ, or the JKU?  The TJ is the real off roader, the JKU is the real road tripper with some off roading, and the 2A...  Well, it won't be going on many overland expeditions.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Back to the expedition trailer dream...

Watching all these youtube vids of expedition trailers has my brain swimming!  So cool.  My wife and I used to go backpacking until it took a toll on her knees.  So primitive camping isn't a big deal.  Weekend Jeep camping get aways are pretty awesome...
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 9:44pm
My brother-in-law helped me build my blast booth today.  It's 8'x8'x12'.  I am going to start on the fenders this evening.  I have to admit, I'm pretty stoked.  I'll be using this for the trailer of course, but the trailer is just for practice.  (And fun and to have a cool trailer.)  But this will also be used for the 2A after the trailer is done.  So excited right now.  I feel like a little kid with a new toy.  Big smile  Heading out to start sand-blasting.  See ya later!

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 3:49pm
*Cough**Cough*  Never let your excitement get the better of you and underestimate the need for ventilation.  Will be adding to this booth before blasting any further.  LOL.  Should be blasting again by the weekend, time permitting...
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 1:49pm
Stev:

The trailer you described is called the M416-B1.  It was made specifically for the Mighty Mite.  Roughly about 2000 of these trailers were made and all were manufactured in 1965.  You can tell them apart from the regular M416 by their Mighty Mite wheels and the welded hand brake on the far left corner of the A-frame.  I have one of them trailers.  Not restored YET! but will be in due time.  

Here's a picture of my B1....

Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 4:49pm
Canorisa,  Yes that is the trailer.  I don't think we still had them when I was with the Second Marines in the 1980s and I don't remember anything about the wheels being different from the M151A2 wheels.  I will have to look at my old photos.  There were a few just flat bed still around but not with the boxes.

The M416s really pull well with a standard style pintle and not the ball style pintle.  Our 1946 has a Nato turning style pintle with a M151 style safety chain mount.  It is great setup for a CJ2A.

Do you have aluminium top for the M416-B1?  I never had one on any my trailers in the Fleet but there were a few trailers with aluminum tops at LeJeune when we were called up for Storm in 1991.  They look like a nice addition if the trailer is going to be stored out side.  I am assuming most of them got left in the Gulf after Storm turned to Shield.

Thanks for your service!

Semper Fi

Stev

Edited by Stev - 30 Jan. 2018 at 4:53pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 10:32pm
Stev:

Did you served in the Marine Corps during Desert Storm/Desert Shield back in 1991?  I DID TOO!!!!  I was with 1st FSSG, Headquarters Bn, Comm Company while stationed at Camp Pendleton.  After we left country and into Saudi Arabia I was with 7th Engineers Bn, Comm Co.  I was a 2512...Field Wireman.

THANK YOU for your service Dog!!!  Good to hear from someone who has been there done that.

Any hoot!!!!  Going back to the trailer thing.  Yes, the B1's all had Mighty Mite wheels on because the B1's were specifically made for the Mighty Mite.  These trailers were made that way so that in case the Mighty Mite lost a wheel you could easily borrow one from the trailer and use it on the Mighty Mite.  

The same idea was made for the regular M416 and the M151.  The wheels were interchangeable.  Check it out.  Weird but all to true on that fact.  All B1's were manufactured in 1965 and there were about 2000 trailers made.

The only thing I don't like on my B1 is that Bubba went ahead and cut a tailgate on it.  The PO, who bought it from Bubba, took it to a fabricator and had it completely fixed.  The whole thing looks like it was made out of the factory, you know.  So, I purchased this trailer as is and the tailgate has grown in me now.  I think it's perfect for a complete restoration to put a RTT on it.

If you haven't seen it, there is a SWAG Off Road video on YouTube where they took a M416 and did a whole bunch of modifications to it.  Well, the lid they made for it it's exactly what I'm looking for.  Check-out that video.  It's pretty good.  You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Let me know,

r/s,

Joel

Edited by canorisa - 30 Jan. 2018 at 10:41pm
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 2:53am
Joel,
They did a good job on the trailer modification.  Yes, I was a Marine Captain (Infantry and MP) with the Reserve Training Battalion during Storm and Shield.  We mobilized and demobilized the Marine Reserve and IRR.  Probably not something we should get into on the page here.  Thank you for your service.

Semper Fi!

Stev  
Stev
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:56am
Picked up my replacement back wall last night.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:01am
Great progress!, nice to see your fixing the back bringing it back to its former glory, now, weld it up good so it's water tight, they make a nice boat as well!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 2:47am
Due to the cold, progress has slowed down some but has not stopped.  I went out to the shop tonight a tore the axle down.  I was able to remove the hubs and brake assembly.  The axle is stripped down ready to de-grease sand blast.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 2:47am
I was able to get out to the shop for a bit tonight and work on the trailer.  I decided to tackle the frame holes.  If you remember, the shock mount holes opened up to the point that I was able to pull the bolt heads right through.  I got out the wire wheel and cleaned up the area.  I forgot to take a picture of that first, so I took this quick pic after cutting out the holes.

I then cut a filler plate and welded it in.  Of course, I forgot to stop and take pictures, but you guys have seen ugly welds before.  So here's the first plate welded in.  This is as far as I got tonight.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
coolpool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:02pm
Looking good! Wonder what would have caused those particular areas to split open, were the shocks seized up?

BTW, I'm a grinder.....not a welder too :-)
Canadian Forces 1986-2006
1952 M38 Cdn
1953 M100 Cdn
1952 M100 US
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:15pm
The shocks don't seem to be seized up, but the PO did say he used it for a wood hauler.  So maybe over-loaded??  Not sure, but it's fun cutting and welding a little.  And the grinder makes things prettier.  Big smile
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:19pm
The mounts are sandwiched into the frame so if any water creeped in and then the corrosion process or freezing took place...
The primer area in the pictures is the original frame and I just used a cut off wheel to remove them from the frame sections. If you look at the center where the stud is welded to the actual frame it could have also been torn in something heavy was dropped in the tub and literally ripped them loose.

These trailers could have been through some really rough abuse while still in service.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 4:06am
I went out tonight and took the wire wheel to it for a bit.  I am going to sand blast it, and started out by just cleaning some of the flaking and gunked up areas.  That way there would be less to blast off and less to contaminate the black beauty blasting material.  I am sifting it and reusing it.  After doing that, I just kept going with the wire wheel.  The bed is cleaning up nicely.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 9:40pm
Freedom21 - How is the trailer build going?  You might try a sanding flap wheel on your grinder.  Easier on the arms and will give you better control than a wire cup on a 4" angle grinder.  You can also use the flap wheel to clean up any welds.
Stev
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 9:41pm
Well, I got my fenders blasted.  But it was taking longer than expected.  My blaster works well, but my limited available time to get to it is the problem.  So I caved in and took my tub and frame to my wife's shop and they made quick work of it.  I'll still blast the small stuff, but the big stuff will be left to the pro's.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>