Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" Brake Upgrade - Tips and Lessons Learned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

It never crossed my mind. Don't all CJ2As have the parking brake on the back of the transfer case?

Yes unless it has been removed. With E brakes in the Rear wheels I see no reason in my case to have the mass of the Transfer mounted E brake using up HP or dragging its weight around. SO when Richard Darr built my Transfer case for me I did not have him put anything connected with the E Brake on it. Knowing my Dana 44 with 11" brakes from a 68 Wagoneer would already have E brakes built into the Wheels like a modernish vehicle.

Ahhh, I see - thanks for the clarification!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 11:18pm

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

It never crossed my mind. Don't all CJ2As have the parking brake on the back of the transfer case?

Yes unless it has been removed. With E brakes in the Rear wheels I see no reason in my case to have the mass of the Transfer mounted E brake using up HP or dragging its weight around. SO when Richard Darr built my Transfer case for me I did not have him put anything connected with the E Brake on it. Knowing my Dana 44 with 11" brakes from a 68 Wagoneer would already have E brakes built into the Wheels like a modernish vehicle.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 1:11am
Huh? some of us  guys just wanna swap the 9" drums for 11"s plain and simple..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 4:43am

OK so I read through this whole thread and I still haven't ever anywhere read a write up of how people are connecting their 11" brakes with E brakes. I have seen a number of threads that talked about using Lokar or Vega or Mustang II brake levers mounted on the tunnel. I am hoping someone has actually gone to the effort to figure out a good way to connect to the Original Dash mounted Cane handle.

I have cables that fit the Brake end of the deal and reach right to the front edge of the PTO hole. And I have a new Stock Cable coming down from the Cane Handle just curious what people might be doing to connect them and where to run the cables in relationship to the Transfer/Tranny stuff.

The Lokar type setup is not an option for me as I will have a combo CB, 10 meter, Stereo, Gun safe, document storage, Emergency Radio and jump battery, Phone charger and cup holder console built between the seats.

Or are you all waiting for me to figure it out LOL.

Bolding mine.

You guessed it! Smile
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 5:18am
I did not put my Lokar lever on the floor,  I put it in the toolbox . .  works great.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 8:19am
Yep that would work great just not with a console on top of it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 2:50pm
Update on my 11" brake install.  Sorry But I really didn't take hardly and photos but there are plenty here.
 It's nice and easy (although more $$) to order the pre-assembled kit. Everything was either new or cleaned and painted.
Assembly was very straight forward aside from the day I was pressing out the old studs I was in blizzard conditions because my 30t press is outside Unhappy. I'm not sure what the problem is with pressing the studs out without cutting them first. I just backed up the drum around the head with a 1-1/4" deepwell 3/4" drive impact socket. The little swedge just sheared off as a little ring.

15" Rims-- Although Lee at Woody's said I would only need to grind a little off of the back side of the centers where they are riveted to the rims for clearance when I measured it up it would have been more like 1/2" ! That's not going to happen on my watch.  But with a set of 1/2" billet machined wheel spacers
and new 2" studs they work out great!
I used the flex hoses at the steering knuckles but left the old line guards in place. I did grind the back side flange down about 1/4" and gave them a nice smooth edge. The hoses clear just fine and don't rub on anything.
 Just like was mentioned here  by another member  " Stopping is more of a command than a suggestion now!"

John

49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 3:46pm
Yesterday the 11" brake parts came in from Rock Auto, so I was able to assemble them. These will go on the rear, I just need to make time to do it.

Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 1:43pm
Did you get the backing plates from them, also?
1946 CJ2A 14098
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

Did you get the backing plates from them, also?

No, I bought the backing plates from a fellow here on the forum, then ordered the parts to build them up.

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 2:30pm
Good-correct set up w/long shoes to the rear.Thumbs Up
Bad-you're missing the brake shoe guides that hang on the top pin before the adjuster cable terminal and springs. These parts don't come in any of the rock auto kits. heres a napa link.

Edited by RICKG - 30 Apr. 2018 at 2:40pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Good-correct set up w/long shoes to the rear.Thumbs Up
Bad-you're missing the brake shoe guides that hang on the top pin before the adjuster cable terminal and springs. These parts don't come in any of the rock auto kits. heres a napa link.

Well, dang - I missed that completely.  Thanks Rick, I'll pick up a pair at NAPA and re-do them.  Glad I posted the photo - thanks!

Edit: They seem to be a scarce item.  There isn't a NAPA within 400 miles that has them in stock.  But I called a couple other FLAPS and O'Reilly can have them tomorrow. They are Dorman #13896.

Edited by ndnchf - 30 Apr. 2018 at 3:42pm
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:31am
i bought the oreillys brake shoe retainers. They work fine as they are not brake diameter specific. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:31pm
Its been a couple months since I installed the 11" brakes on the front of my CJ2A.  Every time I drive it I'm reminded what a huge improvement they made. I have a set of 11" brakes ready to install on the rear, but I'm so pleased with how it is with just the upgraded fronts, that I haven't been in a hurry to take the jeep out of service to install the rear ones.  So that will probably be a project this fall.

I would encourage anyone who drives their jeep in traffic to do the upgrade (or discs).  For those who mostly drive off road or in rural areas, the 9" brakes may be just fine.  But in my populated area, it was the best improvement I could make.  I sure appreciate everyone's advice and tips.

Steve
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:25am
My 9in brakes were terrible. Did the disc swap and the car is wonderfully drivable. I'm in the city with heavy traffic. No problems anymore. Prior to the swap I would not drive it down the street.

Glad the 11-inch work out for you. Congrats
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:56am
I have the discs on the front and 11 inch drums on the back and like the setup more than the 9 inch drums.  The jeep though almost stops too well for the weight and wheel base.  I will take a guess that a lot of the 9 inch setups don't do well not only because of adjustments but also the drum being turned at one time.  I guess the 9 inch drum has to have matched shoes etc for optimum performance. 
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 5:41am
Steve, just a point of clarification,  I see a picture of your drive hub mounted with the new DORMAN 610-032 studs pressed in, but the drum is not yet pressed on.

So, after you pressed in the new studs into the hub did you use the same 20 ton press to press the brake drum on to the hub and studs?  
It would seem to me that you would want to press the new lugs thru the hub and the drum in one go.  How'd you do it?
And, did you attempt to line up the splines on the new studs with the old splines in the drive spindle, or did you just randomly press them home?
My new set of front 11" self adjusting brakes just arrived from Woody's, so I am getting ready for the same install you did.  
Good thread, all!
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 7:54am
On 11" brakes the drums sit on the outside of the hub like modern brakes (which they are) No need to remove the hubs to service the brakes)
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>