Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" Brake Upgrade - Tips and Lessons Learned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 4:49pm

Rick, I hope you put a cotter pin in your tie rods that connect to the knuckle arms!!!!
[/QUOTE]

John the pin is installed. 
Thanks for the concern Brother!!
Rick
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 5:18pm
Muley don’t forget to put that cotter pin in tie rod. 

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

Muley don’t forget to put that cotter pin in tie rod. 

Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 1:16pm
Great information guys, keep it coming, and embedded photos that won't be lost in time.

I've been looking closely at the 11" self adjusting upgrade kits from Herm, Woodys4x4 and The Jeep Guy. None of their web sites have the detailed information I'd like to know. Each kit is similar, but they don't all contain the same parts. I'll probably have to call each one to get clear answers. Here are my lingering questions:

-Wheel cylinders, angled or straight port, what thread?
-S or Z lines used or just rubber hoses?
-what model and year are they from?
-does the hub go inside or outside of the drum?
-what length new studs should be used for stick wheels?
-are detailed instructions included with the kit?

I'm leaning towards the kit from Woodys 4x4 because it seems to be the most complete. 

#WOODBKF11S - $389.00 

Has anyone used this kit?

Thanks
Steve

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 7:50pm
1) -Wheel cylinders, angled or straight port, what thread?
2) -S or Z lines used or just rubber hoses?
Standard 10" Wagner wheel cylinders are going to have 45* angle ports requiring "Z" tubes with 1/8" flare nut fittings.
Standard 11" Bendix wheel cylinders are going to  have 45* angle ports requiring long hoses attached direct to cylinders.
If you want "S" tubes you will need special cylinders (not Jeep) without angled ports.
3) -what model and year are they from? 
Original 10" Wagners are from 1966 through 1971 CJ having the  Dauntless V-6 engine option.
Original 11" Bendix are simplest to source if from 1972 and later CJ's.
The front CJ 11" Bendix drum brakes have a different baking late than rear CJ 11" Bendix brakes.
Rear backing plates are intended for use with park brake cables.
If you do not want rear wheel park brakes you can use front backing plates at the rear.
1972 and 1973 CJ's were standard with non finned drums 1974 and all later CJ's had finned drums.
Finned drums are not needed on these small jeeps and may be a problem with wheel fitment.
4) -does the hub go inside or outside of the drum?
All 10" and 11" drums fit out board of the hubs
5) -what length new studs should be used for stick wheels?
Standard length studs are required

I much prefer to build my own from original and NOS components. 
That way you can get them exactly as you desire.

For example: 
My 10" Wagner drums weigh much less, ride higher and are sealed better than the 11" Bendix drums . 
Plus these drums fasten direct to the  (1953-1971) hubs using the 3 original countersink screws.
10" are plenty of brake for a little flatty  with 134 engine and no trailer.

Edited by oldtime - 04 Mar. 2018 at 7:59pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 11:38pm
Thanks oldtime, great info.

It seems 11" brake kits are getting scarce. Today I checked with Herm the OD guy and Ryan, the jeep parts guy. Both are out of stock. I called Woody's 4x4 and was told they have a it. They will pull the order, then call me in the next day or two to confirm. I suppose the backing plates are getting harder to find. 

As many Jeep parts as they reproduce, and as popular as the 11" upgrade is, its a little surprising that the backing plate is not being reproduced.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 11:56pm
The problem is that very few old jeeps hit the salvage yards. Someone always wants to fix them up and run them. If there are no jeeps to salvage, then there are fewer salvage items out there to buy. Every part in my 11" brake kit I got from Willys Jeep Parts at Yuma Arizona was brand spanking new EXCEPT the backing plates. The ones in the kit had been totally reconditioned to like-new but they were in extremely good condition, sandblasted and painted.

I might mention that the drum on the '46 Willys truck 11" brake setup that I bought goes inboard of the hub.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 05 Mar. 2018 at 11:59pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 11:56pm
I buy every set of backing plates I find, only to pass them on to others. It has gotten harder to find them and they are usually farther away. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 1:29am
Ryan told me he had 7 or 8 people on a waiting list for 11 inchers. So I was surprised when Woody's said he had one. But I'll keep holding my breath until he confirms it. If not, I may need to start looking for a set of backing plates.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 3:22am
Waiting for backing plates WITH the e-brake is even harder. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 10:35pm
I found a donor front axle from a 74 CJ with 11" backing plates located in Tampa ,FL on C/L in the auto parts section search "CJ5". Maybe he would sell just the backing plates and mail them to someone. I have done that before. I live about 8 hrs north of him so a road trip is out. They do fit into a large flat rate USPS box. 

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 11:39pm
That reminds me of a similar, local ad I saw the other day. If Woody's 4x4 doesn't come through, I may ask this guy about 11"brakes.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 2:48pm
I just stumbled upon a set 11" of backing plates on ebay, haven't seen any there in a long time.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

I just stumbled upon a set 11" of backing plates on ebay, haven't seen any there in a long time.

Got a link to them?
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Got a link to them?

Check your inbox

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 1:07pm

I found a donor front axle from a 74 CJ with 11" backing plates located in Tampa ,FL on C/L in the auto parts section search "CJ5". Maybe he would sell just the backing plates and mail them to someone. I have done that before. I live about 8 hrs north of him so a road trip is out. They do fit into a large flat rate USPS box. 

I texted him and he was glad to remove the backing plates and ship them to me for a reasonable price, my tip you y'all is to beat the brush and think outside the box for the backing plates. 
 My point is i just found 2 front axle sets and can build up from there. Dorman sells the brake shoe retainer plates and the wheel cylinder links, and most any auto parts supplier can get the brake shoes, springs, cables, etc. 
 Just have to keep lookin'

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 11:53pm
Great score.

I have a full kit coming from Woody's 4x4. It should be here by the end of the week. But I'll keep my eyes open for good deals on others.
724wd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 724wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 5:01am
I've got a set of '71 axles (30 & 44) and am doing a disc upgrade on the front. That leaves me with the 11" to put on the rear, BUT no ebrake. AND the '71 44 has the flange that isn't directly swapable with the 11" backing plates (though I hear it's not a difficult conversion?). or I leave the 10" in the back and do a T/C disc brake parking brake like the ones Tom Woods markets. Discs on the front and 10" in the rear with >33" tires should be fine... In which case I'll have a set of 11" brakes to sell. decisions, decisions!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>