Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" Brake Upgrade - Tips and Lessons Learned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 1:39am
Plan B is good! Bet they planned it that way!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 7:07am
Installed the left front today. Will need to see what to do to fit the 15" wheels though.
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 8:44am
I used a regular grease gun with the cornhead grease.  The cartridge slid right in the gun.  Took a lot of pumping to get the grease into the knuckle, but it got in without too much mess.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I used a regular grease gun with the cornhead grease.  The cartridge slid right in the gun.  Took a lot of pumping to get the grease into the knuckle, but it got in without too much mess.

A grease gun would have been less messy, but a lot slower. My grease gun is a pistol grip pump type. Pumping all that grease would have been a real workout. One of those air powered grease guns would be just the ticket!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Wrongway Wrongway wrote:

Installed the left front today. Will need to see what to do to fit the 15" wheels though.

I've read that some 15" wheels will fit over 11" drums, some won't. Are you using the drums without fins? My jeep has 16" wheels so no problems.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I've read that some 15" wheels will fit over 11" drums, some won't. Are you using the drums without fins? My jeep has 16" wheels so no problems.

I ran into that on my '75 CJ5.  The 15" rims that were on the ground cleared the stock brakes (which I'm pretty sure were the 11" drums).  But the spare that came with it didn't fit.  I was glad to find that out in my driveway!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 12:27am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

One of those air powered grease guns would be just the ticket!

D'OH!!  I have one of the air-powered ones!  It was among the things my father left me.  I had forgotten all about it until just now, long after it would have helped me out!  I hope I can remember I have it next time I need to fill a knuckle...  Embarrassed
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 7:41pm
I finished the 11" front brake upgrade and took it out for a test drive this afternoon. A very nice improvement. Stepping on the brake pedal now feels more like an command than a request. Got the Dualmatic hubs cleaned up and installed with new gaskets and those awful locking tabs. What a pain they are.

I have another set of 11" backing plates coming for the rear. Question for the group: what rear wheel cylinders should I order? Is there one that has a straight in brake line connection like stock? It would be nice to be able to use the existing brake lines, but I can make new ones if needed. Cylinder bore size? 15/16", 1"?  

I think I've found the part numbers for all the other parts, just not sure about the cylinders. I'm going to order from Rock auto.

Thanks guys!
Steve

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 10:13am
just order the stock rear wheel cyls for a 73 cj5

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

just order the stock rear wheel cyls for a 73 cj5

The problem is those have an angled port:

I'd prefer to find a straight port cylinder so I can use the stock brake lines.  But if there isn't one that will work, I'll go that route. Thanks.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 12:33pm
I do not have any numbers for a straight port for the rear wheel cylinder, it needs to be a 15/16" diameter, post the number if you find a part number. I'll look too.  I wonder if you could gently bend the brake line to work for the slightly canted cylinders for a 72-75 CJ 5

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 12:56pm

I do not have any numbers for a straight port for the rear wheel cylinder, it needs to be a 15/16" diameter, post the number if you find a part number. I'll look too.  I wonder if you could gently bend the brake line to work for the slightly canted cylinders for a 72-75 CJ 5

Not sure if there is enough line to re-bend and still reach, but its a possibility.  For new lines I like using the copper-nickle type, its just a few dollars more than steel, but bends MUCH easier.  I'd use that if I need to make new ones.  But a straight port, 15/16" would be ideal.  Still searching...
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:00pm
Look here  15/16ths dia  straight 3/8-24 inlet size   straight port!
part number W78734 crosses to a WC37325

rockauto has them, but see if your local parts house can get you one today to check fitment and make it easier to return if it won't work.

Edited by jeeper50 - 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:09pm

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:22pm

Look here  15/16ths dia  straight 3/8-24 inlet size   straight port!
part number W78734 crosses to a WC37325

rockauto has them, but see if your local parts house can get you one today to check fitment and make it easier to return if it won't work.

That could be a winner.  I found one similar but with a slightly down angle port, Dorman W101610.  If the cylinder position on the 11" backing plate is a little higher than on the 9" backing plate, then bending the line up slightly might make the down angle port a better match. 

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:39pm
Still won't reach, I recall that very issue when I installed mine, it's all coming back to me now larger diameter brakes = new rear brakelines. Probably better to order the jeep angled ports since the new brake lines will eliminate that issue anyway! One less p/n to write down in your manual for future ref, that way all your parts are from a '73 CJ5  

I replaced my rear brake lines when I installed my 11"ers too, have you replaced your flex hoses on both axles (frame to axle) already too?

Edited by jeeper50 - 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:43pm

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:45pm
The value of experience!  Thanks.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 3:13pm
 I used NAPA 37132 left rear, 37133 rt rear. 1" bore, angled port which required slight tweaking of the stock steel lines.  The trick to getting the line to thread into the cyl is leave the back plate loosey on the axle housing for wiggle room. Once the coupler is well started into the cyl tighten the plate to the axle housing.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 3:47pm
Thanks Rick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>