Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" Brake Upgrade - Tips and Lessons Learned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 10:22am
What Mark said above, the drum just slips over the studs. Much easier! As for pressing in the studs, i just held them in place with my fingers as the ram was brought down, they find their alignment. I seem to recall reading that the spline count is a little different between the original and new studs, but I didnt count them. Regardless, they pressed in just fine - nice and snug. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 3:23pm
Years ago I got the 11" kit from Mile High Jeep in Denver.  Every thing bolted up and the wheels on my 64 CJ5 fit over the drums.  Later the rear line at the frame where it goes to the hose down to the axle broke.  Original master cylinder no brakes at all.  Got the dual master cylinder kit from Herm and a new dual master cylinder from the local parts store.  The 11" brakes stop "Eeyore" with authority and safely with the dual master cylinder. 
At some point "Popeye" the M38 will get the same treatment.     
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 6:13pm
I understand the difference between the 9" and 11" drum position on the drive flange.  Perhaps I am not explaining my concern well.
On page 5 of this thread, Steve posts a great photo of the drive flange, with new studs installed, sitting on the spindle.

It appears the splined area of the stud is sitting a little proud of the flush face of the flange, where the 11" drum will sit.    Won't the splines hold the removable drum off from being flush to the flange?

Maybe he ground that area of the stud back to be flush with the flange face?   Should I use a different stud than the DORMAN 610-032?
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 6:38pm
I see your question now.  I had the same question when I was doing my conversion.  In fact, in that photo on page 5 I had already put the studs in a lathe and turned back the excess splined area a little bit.  However, I later realized this was not necessary.  On the other flange I used them as-is and they worked just fine. The holes in the drum are large enough not to be a problem.  Also the design of the wheel and lug nut allows plenty of clearance. 
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 6:56pm
Smile
Roger that!  Thanks Steve.
I may be back for more advice as this proceeds.  Great idea for a thread.
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2018 at 7:11pm
Glad to be of help. The hardest part of the whole job is the studs. As long as you have a good press, it's pretty straight forward. Just be sure to support the drum behind the stud as you press. I used sockets. Mine is a 20 ton with air/hydraulic jack. They gave my press a workout, but it worked fine. Good luck! 
Donald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 3:06pm
what other ford backing plates work on a CJ2 ?
Donald
Don
Donald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 7:14pm
I have read about the CJ5 and wagoner 11 inch back plate for the CJ2A are there any other vehicle brands that will bolt up and work ? I have struck out in local junk yard.
Don
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 7:37pm
Did you call Woody's 4x4?  They usually have the 11" upgrade kit in stock.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Donald Donald wrote:

what other ford backing plates work on a CJ2 ?
Donald

I bought a set of 11 inch drums and backing plates that I was told were from a Jeep. Ended up being from a 1948-1951-ish Ford F1. Had one front and one rear backing plate. Replaced wheel cylinders with the correct front ones and it worked)

Although finding F1's in a junkyard will probably not be that easy   
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 9:16pm
I have a Bronco as one of my fronts. its slightly different but in no functional way. I have a set of spare fronts I thought about going to the hassle of cleaning up one and painting it but I got lazy. And if any one stands on their head at a car show and castigates me for not having matching front brake backing pads I'll smile and explain about my bad upbringing. No reason my mom should get a pass on this one LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 9:18pm
I want to to give out this info even though most of you know that a 11 inch self adjusting drum backing plate from a cj5 will not fit the front of a jeep with steering arms bolted to the knuckle.  The arm is bolted to the upper king pin bearing retainer.  I don't know when they started casting the arm on the knuckle.
Donald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 10:37pm
well my wife has set her foot on buying anything else for the willys, figured I could seek junk yard back plates.
Don
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 12:07am
Postal jeeps of the mid seventies also are donor vehicles. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Mr. Vic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 4:33pm
Hi guys, I've been enjoying the thread and I'm in the middle of a Kubota swap right now on my 46.  I started considering a dual mc swap while everything is out and accessible which led me here.  
Are the Ford Bronco backing plates as hard to find as the CJ stuff?  When I bought my 46' last year, the guy who had it said the axles were from a '69 CJ5.  The rear looks like an early 44, but the brakes look like they are 9".  I can't determine if the front is a 25, 27 or 30. I read the best way to tell brake size is measure the inside of the drum ( I haven't pulled it yet)  Did the CJ ever have 9"' brakes?  Am I possibly looking at 10 inchers?   Sheesh.  my head hurts!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 11:38pm
All the early Cjs had 9" brakes. Post some photos of what you have. Read back through this thread. There is a lot of good info here.
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 12:01am
Pretty sure 69 CJ5 would have 10" brakes from the factory.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Mr. Vic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 4:13am
I'm not convinced they are from a '69.  Wouldn't a 69 CJ5 have a Dana 30 Front?  I think I have a 27 front (still scrubbing off crud to see if I can find a clue).  
 If I have 10" brakes, Would it be worth the money and effort to add 11" in the front?  Old time sounded happy with his 10"ers, but I've got 31" tires I want to stop.  What do you guys think?
Thanks.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>