Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

turn signal lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: turn signal lights
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2007 at 3:43pm
My 2A has a turn signal kit on it.  The front lights are two 4" round lights mounted on top of the front fenders.  These lights need replaced.  I found some similar round lights at Tractor Supply Company, but before I buy those I was wondering what other folks are doing for front turn signals.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Post up some pics if you got them.  Thanks.
The Jeep Family:
2003 KJ - wife's daily driver
1997 XJ - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig - - -> FOR SALE
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1946(ish) CJ2A - my new project - - ->FOR SALE
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2007 at 7:25pm
I converted my grill lights to operate as my front signal lights.  They pull double duty as they are also my running lights.  Mine is a 46 with the bullet style marker lights.

Jeff
46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 8:22am
Jeff,
  What flasher did you use?  Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for your setup?
Jack
1949 CJ3A
1951 M38
stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 8:32am
Did you just use the bullet covers and replace the rest with a different light of some kind?
The Jeep Family:
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 11:35am
the wiring diagram came with the turn signal kit.  The flasher is a typical 12 volt plug type (yes, I did convert to 12 volt but that should not matter with regards to wiring).

I replaced the guts of my bullet lights so that a dual filament bulb would work.  It was a bit of a pain but all in all not too bad.  Beachwood Canvas sells a dual filament bullet light, they may sell just the guts.

hope this helps
Jeff

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 1:06pm
I'm curious what you did on the back end of your CJ2A.  Do you have two tail/brake lights?  Did you use them or did you add a separate signal light?

Thanks.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

I'm curious what you did on the back end of your CJ2A.  Do you have two tail/brake lights?  Did you use them or did you add a separate signal light?

Thanks.

I know some flat fender purists will hate me for this, but I got some round trailer lights.  They have two bulbs in them.  One is the turn signal, so it flashes when you put the signal on.  They look a lot like the early CJ5 lights.  Not exactly "original", but they look okay and they almost look like they belong on the Jeep.  Only Jeep people would know they aren't the right lights.  The average guy on the street would have no idea.
The Jeep Family:
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 6:21pm
For the rear of my 46, I went with two Naco reproduction lights from Northstar Willys.  Of course it is not to original specs which would be one brake/tail light, but I wanted turn signals for the rear as well as the front.  While our state motto may be live free or die,  I enjoy living and I don't think many folks know what a right hand turn hand signal even looks like.

Jeff
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 6:29pm
I've a question, I thought that the right taillight was an option on a 2A, but looking at the parts catalog it lists the turn signal kit as being for a 3A, was this ever offered (officially) as an option for the 2a, or was it something the owners and dealers just decided to to on their own?
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
stick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 9:30pm
Everything I've ever seen has had a tail light on the driver's side and a reflector on the pass side.

Edited by stick - 25 Apr. 2007 at 9:16pm
The Jeep Family:
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2007 at 12:41pm
Passenger side tail light was offered as an option beginning at s/n 45723, same time they switched from black to chrome bezels.  According to the parts lists, it was the SAME unit as used on the drivers side, including the license lens.

AFAIK, turn signals were never offered for CJ2A.

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply