Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel stud bushings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel stud bushings?
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 1:56am
So, I just removed the flywheel, and the 2 studs with the taper that is supposed to fit into the flywheel, doesn't fit so well. I mean, like not even close. The holes appear to be about 5/8" and the studs look to be about 7/16"? Is there a bushing that is supposed to be there?
MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:09am
No bushing.  In the old days there was a bulletin about drilling out the tapered 2 tapered studs and using straight bolts.  However, today through the magic of the internet, the tapered studs can be sourced so they can be replaced with NOS tapered studs.

Yours may have been drilled or reamed.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:12am
You have the early style taper dowel crankshaft, and the later straight dowel flywheel.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:14am
ok, I guess I've just never seen the larger dowels. Anyone know where to source the large dowels?
Thanks.
MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:22am
Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

ok, I guess I've just never seen the larger dowels. Anyone know where to source the large dowels?
Thanks.
MG

I do not think you want to go that route, reqires removing the crank from the block to do it correctly, much easier to install the correct flywheel. I have a very nice 2A flywheel that was resurfaced and a new pilot bearing installed with less than 100 miles of running time on it I'd sell.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:36am
Thank you Lee....if I didn't already have the engine in pieces on the bench I would probably take you up on the offer. Let me see if I can find the right ones first. If I don't,  I'll let you know. Thanks again!
MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 7:11pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 7:12pm
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 7:14pm
Ok...so instead of a new flywheel, or replacing the tapered studs, I made a couple bushings to match the taper and larger I'd in the flywheel. 
MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 8:33pm
Now that is the kind of thing guys did before the internet!  Back when we were just guys trying to keep old Jeeps working.  When we could not find replacement parts.  Shows an ability to get it done!

Are you going to Loctite the bushing to the fly wheel?  What is the bushing made out of?  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 9:47pm
I don't think there is a need to loc tite them. They are machined "On size" and require a small amount of pressure to install. I machined the taper to match the dowels, so they should stay in place once installed and bolted into place. Made of brass. 
MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 12:11am
I have a couple NOS straight dowels over here....
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply