Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front wheel bearing cj7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 12:18pm
Got the socket, worked great. Learned I had the wrong bearings so I repacked the old ones. Also had the wrong retainer ring ( C clamp? ). But I put it all back together and after a short test drive nothing fell off!
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:44am
Waiting on a 2 and one-sixteenth inch socket needed to remove the axle (spindle? ) nuts. This might be a tool for the loaner program-could not find one locally!
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 11:37pm
Well, got the wheel and brake pads off, bought seals, then "Up jumped the Devil." Hope to get back to it tomorrow.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 9:09pm
Yeah, that was my thinking, and mine is an 85, not early. Great pun. Wish I had thought of it!😂 Thanks a bunch!
Rick Estes
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 8:40pm
I really doubt the trans has any "bearing" on that (pun not really intended, but noticed and not avoided).  The only exception I could see is that early on I think that CJ7s with autos might have had QuadraTrac full-time 4WD, and possibly the front axle could have used different wheel bearings if it did or didn't have locking hubs.

But then again, manual trans CJ7s that long ago had 3- (or maybe 4) speed trannies.  So I think it comes back to using the same bearings regardless of transmission.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 4:39pm
I need to replace them and found Timkens at a good price on eBay. Detail says for 5-speed trans. Mine is a 3-speed auto. Does that matter?
Thanks
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12