Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tires Deestone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires Deestone?
    Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 4:08pm
Has anyone tried Deestone tires?  Need to get a complete set and price is a pretty big factor.  Link below

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 5:23pm
I like the tread, at least with 10 ply tires you probably won't need any air in them!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 5:27pm
X2,  the tread pattern looks like the old Firestone Town and Country.
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 5:57pm
I had load range E tires on my CJ5 (235/85-16 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains, 32" dia, 9.25" wide).  They were OK , but the ride sure improved, especially off-road, when I switched to 33/12.50-15 load range C tires (also BFG M/T).  Something to consider.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 6:06pm
7.5 x 16 might be a bit big for a stock flattie. I run 7.00x16 NDTs and they do rub in turns. 

I see they have a 7.00 x 16 8 ply in that tread.

Never tried the brand.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 10:46pm
Where are they made ?..... 10 ply tires on a 2500 lb rig doesent sound like a good ride IMO.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 11:11pm
Yea I didn't see the 10ply part, probably a little to much.I think I saw that the tires are from Thailand. I  know I should just suck it up and get the sta traxion 16x650's. But $800 hurts a little on something I won't be driving very often. Thanks for the replies 
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 11:37pm
Well not only the 10ply part but Load Range E......that's a hefty tire.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 12:48am
I know I sound like a broken record, but 10 ply RATED does not mean 10 ACTUAL plies.

It's more than likely 2 or 4 ply, and possibly polyester instead of Nylon.

They look nice, but the section width on a 7.50 is ,,, 7.5 inches, not NINE.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 1:11am
Tires used to need a certain number of plies to get the desired strength.  So they described tire strength by number of plies.  Then with different materials and manufacturing methods they could get the same strength with less plies, so they switched to load ranges, letting the manufacturer use however many plies they wanted, as long as it had the strength.  Load range E was the name used for what used to require 10 plies.

But people don't like change, and no one knew what "load range E" meant, so they often included the old number of plies rating as a reference (often in parenthesis, which are used to differentiate a reference from a spec on prints).  So as Joe Friday said, these tires likely do not have 10 plies.

But still, they are load range E tires, which means that only one is needed to support the entire weight of a Jeep (with safety factor!).  Stronger is often good, but these tires are going to be STIFF on a lightweight Jeep, which, as already noted, will mean that they will not ride well, no matter how many plies they actually have.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 1:59am
I’m going to go ahead and disagree with most everybody else here. 
I’ve got a set on my jeep and really like them. Mine are the 700x16 ones. Yes they are load range E. I run about 15 psi in them, but you can run them with almost no air and still don’t get much sidewall flex. The air is mostly there to keep the tires on the beads. They ride just fine though, I noticed no real difference in ride between these and the fully inflated nondirectionals they replaced. 
Yes they are made in Thailand, if that matters to you. I had two minor issues with them, both related to install. Because they are stiff they are hard to mount. I wouldn’t recommend trying to hand mount them, but a good tire shop shouldn’t have a problem. The other issue was that they would have taken a lot to balance. I didn’t want weights all over my rims, so I tried running them unbalanced. I’ve had no issues with them this way. There is no shake, no shimmy, no death wobble. I’ve run them at over 60 this way, and have had them on for the last 4 years. I dare anybody to drive my jeep and tell me they can feel the tires are unbalanced. 

My favorite part of these tires is that almost nobody else has them. When I wore my nondirectionals out I wanted something different, that wasn’t on every other jeep, but still had the old school look. On road they ride fine, and overall perform much better than a nondirectional, especially in the wet.  They do good off road, the only drawback is the lack of sidewall flex, but most of the time you’ll never notice it. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 6:01am
As a matter of taste, I wouldn't put those tires on my Jeeps.  Ugly as homemade sin!  But there's no accounting for taste, is there?  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 1:42pm
Hey Guys,
I just put new shoes on Triple X, I used Hankook 215-85 R16 in the Dyna Pro ATM.  The 215-85 is a nice fit on the rims, thats why I chose that size, they are a 10 ply tire as that size is used on the rear of dually pickups.  The ride is not so bad, better than the NDTs I had originally and the price was $135 ea.
http://www.hankooktire.com/us/transporter.html

Several years ago I bought a used set of 215-85 R16 light truck tires, 10 ply, I put about 5000 miles on them and never had an issue.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 6:14pm
Thanks again for all the replies.  I know tire choice can be a tricky subject.  Of the jeeps running modern radial tires on the stock rims, are you using a tube also?  I searched around and saw some with tubes some without.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 8:01pm
I am not, although I've read that some of the guys that are out doing major off road stuff do have tubes in them.  Most of my travel is on tar, but when I go off road there is usually not a road.  Has not been a problem yet to not have a tube.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

I’m going to go ahead and disagree with most everybody else here. 
I’ve got a set on my jeep and really like them. Mine are the 700x16 ones. Yes they are load range E. I run about 15 psi in them, but you can run them with almost no air and still don’t get much sidewall flex. The air is mostly there to keep the tires on the beads. They ride just fine though, I noticed no real difference in ride between these and the fully inflated nondirectionals they replaced. 
Yes they are made in Thailand, if that matters to you. I had two minor issues with them, both related to install. Because they are stiff they are hard to mount. I wouldn’t recommend trying to hand mount them, but a good tire shop shouldn’t have a problem. The other issue was that they would have taken a lot to balance. I didn’t want weights all over my rims, so I tried running them unbalanced. I’ve had no issues with them this way. There is no shake, no shimmy, no death wobble. I’ve run them at over 60 this way, and have had them on for the last 4 years. I dare anybody to drive my jeep and tell me they can feel the tires are unbalanced. 

My favorite part of these tires is that almost nobody else has them. When I wore my nondirectionals out I wanted something different, that wasn’t on every other jeep, but still had the old school look. On road they ride fine, and overall perform much better than a nondirectional, especially in the wet.  They do good off road, the only drawback is the lack of sidewall flex, but most of the time you’ll never notice it. 

I’ll agree with NCtoy.  I’m running the Interco narrow super swampers in 34x9x16, tho and they are rated at 6 ply.  Essentially no sidewall flex even with 0 psi.  I run 10 psi to keep them on the rim because the original KH wheels have no safety hump to help keep the bead set.  I run on the highway WOT at about 50-53 mph and can tell no difference at 10 psi vs say 25 psi.  In reality, if I ran 35-40 psi I might be able to run 55 mph, but I’m speculating.  Also, I did not balance my tires.  I asked the guy to just see what it would take to balance one and so he put it on the machine and it was going to require 1lb of weights to balance!!!  So I’m running them unbalanced.  Point is, I can certainly tell no difference in tire pressure or balance on the street at Willys speeds.  It doesn’t ride any different either way.  The BIG issue is no sidewall flex for off-roading. I’m going to be working on that , however.

And, btw, I like the look AND price of those tires.  Like Stan said, I might go for the smaller tire, tho.  

Rick
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 2:42am
My Swampers are the same way Rick.....and the weights are very unsightly.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply