Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greasing the bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the bearings
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 5:11am
I haven't been reading about these trailers for long so I really can't say if anyone has tried it.

I would assume that since there's an inner and outer bearing, you wouldn't be able to lube like the back axle with one zerk - unless you filled the entire hub with grease and I don't think that's good. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 3:37am
Sorry for the confusion. It's the T3C so yes the 'only' axel.  I know the correct way is to take apart and inspect then re-grease them but was curious if others just added grease and called it a day.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 12:07am
Mickeykelley,
Your post is in the trailer section but you identify the rear axle where the bearings are.  It sounds like you know the jeep rear axles have zerks where you can add grease (from the comment drill and add a zerk).

Not sure which trailer you may have either but most 1/4 ton trailer bearings are just like the front axle.  The only way to clean/inspect/grease them is to disassemble by removing the nuts and washers to pull the hub. 

On my trailer, T3-C, I use the military manual for the T-3 and noticed the procedure matches the jeep section on front bearings.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 8:58pm
Since the rear axel hubs did not come with grease fittings originally, about how ofter do you guys add grease? Repack the bearings? Or did you just drill and add a grease jerk to the plate?
 Post Reply Post Reply