Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Clutch replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahlangupat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Clutch replacement
    Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 6:27pm
Hi Guys i am busy restoring a 49 CJ2A and have started engine since rebuild. The clutch and pressure plate that i installed i bought is according to parts manual, but on starting engine and depressing clutch pedal there is a "clutter clutter' from somewhere and on releasing pedal its quiet. Any suggestions as to cause and remedy would much appreciated
Regards
Pat
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 6:53pm
did you replace the throwout bearing?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 7:14pm
Does the clutch drag?  When looking in the clutch view port does the clutch disk stop spinning when you hold the clutch down?  If no.... the clutch disk could have been bent when you put the transmission back in and it's wobbling in there. (not good).
If the clutch does work well, definitely could be the throw out bearing.  Did that make noise before the clutch work?

BTW - best way for us to help is for you to post some video through the view port of the action and noises.
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 9:47pm
This is posted in the wrong category.
Dan S
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 1:45am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

did you replace the throwout bearing?

And a light oiling of it b4 install?
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 2:00am
Sounds like you have the clutch disk in backwards, it only goes one way. Don't ask how I know... Embarrassed

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 12:12pm
Pat, are you in Sasolburg, South Africa? Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice and good people here. I'm interested in hearing the story of your '49 if you are indeed in SA.

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
mahlangupat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahlangupat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 6:21pm
Hi Guys thanks very much will be in touch
Regards
Pat
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 4:27am
My god ..... isn't that the "luck-of-the-draw"

ON a positive note, I always tell the wife if I have no luck in my repair, I can always take it to someone.
   And too, after re-assembly, they always come back apart easily.

Not to worry, i'm currently on the re-assembly of the 5-speed transmission in my '02 Subaru WRX. Tomorrow, the transmission halves go back together, and the WRX also uses a pull-type clutch too.
   These are a weird transmission with the pinion shaft running through the center of the main-shaft, and nothing like I have worked on other than a Volkswagen Bug transaxle ( very similar ). The stuff we work on. ... right !

I have a ways to go with hopes I don't get any clunk-clunks.

Happy wrenching ! ..... take a break for a cold-pop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahlangupat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 9:34am
Hi Mike , yes I am in Vaal Park Sasolburg
Pat
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 9:55am
Well, welcome Pat! There are a few of us Saffers on the site. Post your questions and we'll see if we can help.

What is the history of your '49, and is it really a '49? Most CJ2A's in SA are '48's because of a consignment of 189 that the Union Defence Forces imported in that year. What are your body and engine numbers? That will give us a better idea confirm the year. There are many jeeps that are not actually the same year as the registration papers (or the previous owners) say. Of course engines can be swapped in and out as well....

How far along in your restoration are you?

Mahlangupat or MlunguPat? LOL

Edited by JeepSaffer - 19 Apr. 2018 at 10:01am
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahlangupat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 5:25pm
Hi Guys with regards to my clutch problem the : clatter clatter when clutch was depressed, i replaced the throw out bearing with a NATIONAL Bearing from Rock Auto and problem solved. The original throw out bearing was also from the USA but probably made in China a load of rubbish.
Thanks 
Pat
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 12:47am
Glad to read that you got it fixed.  How new was the replaced bearing? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahlangupat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 10:27am
Hi yes the bearing was a brand new one a National Bearing made in Mexico. I bought it from Rock Auto in the USA.
Regards
Pat
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 11:16am
I think he means how old was the noisy bearing you took out and replaced with the new national bearing?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahlangupat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 6:04pm
Hi sorry misunderstood. The bearing i took out the noisy one was brand new it was only depressed three times with engine running. It was also chucking grease out whilst in depressed position. When i eventually took it out and turned it by hand it felt like it was full of grit.
regards
Pat
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:13am
How can an outfit in good conscience sell junk like that?  Used 3 times and it dies?  Angry 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

How can an outfit in good conscience sell junk like that?  Used 3 times and it dies?  Angry 

Not that it should matter, but especially a part that is several hours in and out, and so much so it is frequently replaced "as long as i'm in this far" Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>