Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust routing with PTO Winch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust routing with PTO Winch
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 9:09pm
Ok jeep Gurus, looking for some input on the exhaust routing with a front PTO winch, pics, thoughts or other info as to the best way.
I have a Ramsey single stick PTO with the front and back outlet on the same shaft and a baby king Koenig on the front. I plan to mount a rear PTO gear as well with this setup.
I have the standard exhaust set up and routing and I have flex pipe to add if a have to cut into the exhaust pipe in where there is PTO shaft conflict, mainly at and around the transmission. I don't have the PTO shaft installed yet as I'm waiting to get a carrior bearing and most likely build my own adaptor to the bell housing.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 10:14pm
Run the exhaust under the crossmember?
BOULDER 48 2A
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 11:30pm
I have a lot of Ramsey and Koenig literature.

The Koenig CJ5 instructions show to bend the down pipe and reshaping the angle in the intermediate pipe going back to the muffler to allow the exhaust to run under the cross member.

I can't find anything showing then CJ2/3 instructions other than bumper spacers and and bell housing support bearing.

The Ramsey installation shows a drawing with the exhaust going thru the crossmember.

You might check and see if Hermtheoverdriveguy has anything.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 11:35pm
my 56 CJ5 had the pipe running under the crossmember for clearance, also had a chain clutch linkage setup so it really had to go under.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:14am
I installed a Koenig PTO and ran the exhaust  pipe over top of the crossmember.
Under the crossmember seems like a very bad idea to me.

That one was a complete stainless exhaust system that I hand fabricated.
Sorry but the pics are on photo bucket so it's a no show.
And sold that Jeep.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:32am
On mine, I did not use a carrier bearing. i sliced the stock header and moved it to the left so the shaft could pass by. I welded up the slices. Then had a exhaust shop make a new intermediate pipe which passed under the crossmember on the highest point or just left of the crossmember. It's not hanging lower than the crossmember. Then back into the stock muffler set up. The catch is to install a spacer between the front rubber bumpstop and frame to stop the front differential from coming up too far and hitting the PTO shaft. The winch kits came with cast iron spacers to do this. I used square 1/4 inch tubing, drilled and tapped the holes for re installing the rubber bump. Works well. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:54am
Install a MB/Early Cj2a side exhaust.  It crosses along the inside of the front edge of the skid plate and under the passenger seat.  Very easy to install.  Works well with the PTO drive shaft.  In expensive.   Great off road.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:42am
X2.  Thats what I did.  It works well and only required a minor bend to decrease the curve in the down pipe coming off the manifold.  I used a small pillow block on the shaft and ground off all unecessary material before bolting to the bell housing.   Only problem is that when my tranny leaks, it drips right on to the exhaust pipe,  causing stinking burning gear oil. I keep cleaning it away and its manageable.

Edited by Qcanuck - 02 May 2018 at 4:14am
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:24pm
When I built Kate's Karriage with her Koenig front PTO winch, I ran the exhaust pipe under the cross member very close to the frame.  Still higher than the skid plate by a little bit.  Behind the cross member it comes back up inside the frame and connects to the muffler in the stock location.  We had to bend the short first exhaust pipe slightly to the outside to get a good alignment for the second, longer exhaust pipe.  Then it took a couple of slight bends on the second pipe to get it under the cross member and back up inside the frame.  It all works well, and so far no dents in it from rocks or roots.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:31am
Thanks, everyone, I’m really trying to get this jeep done before the CFCT, I had forgot about the bump stop. So I’ll work out something there. If needed.
Thanks for the replies
Cary
 Post Reply Post Reply