Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO winch cable question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1942gpw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO winch cable question
    Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:52am
Today I'm mounted my Ramsey PTO winch on my 48 cj2a. My questions are this. How much cable can I put on there and what diameter cable? And is there any specific type of cable I'm looking for?

Matt R
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 1:23am
Why not use synthetic line?
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

1942gpw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1942gpw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:13am
would make it lighter on the front. Where can you find it? And what diameter?

Matt R
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:37am
Any 4-WD shop should have it.  If you don't have one nearby, there's 4WD Hardware or 4 Wheel Parts.  As far as diameter, get whatever is strong enough for the load your winch will pull.  Or whichever fits your wallet? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:46am
What, if any, are the drawbacks (positives) to synthetic in the real world experiences?  I know I've read about no sharp area to cut you, less whip if it breaks, less weight, but how about people's personal real experiences. 
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:50am
3/8 diameter seems like the best balance of strength vs durability for most winches. 

I've run synthetic line for years and years now. I will never go back to steel cable. 

The only real hitch is that you don't want to run it over sharp edges. As long as you pay half attention to what you are doing it will be fine. 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:19am
Matt,

We have a 1946 Trail Jeep with a Ramsey PTO that has the Mil Spec synthetic rope (21,000 pound break) that is sheathed.  We have pulled a lot of Jeeps.   The biggest afternoon of winching we pulled over 3,500 feet of cable.   The spool will hold 150 feet for sheathed synthetic rope.  It is wonderful to use.  We are careful with the synthetic rope around shape edges.

We also have a restored Jeep with a Koenig PTO winch that has 3/8" wire rope (steel cable).  It works well but there are some down sides.  It is dangerous if it breaks or frays.  It will kink under load if spooled in off center.  But it works fine - just not as safe for the operators.  

Be Safe Out There 
Stev  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 11:12am
I've been running synthetic on the crawler since 07. I was very skeptical when I first installed it. But i'm a believer now. I did break it once. Dragged it over a sharp rock. But it's fairly easy to weave it back together and make a permanent repair. The repair is still holding. 

negatives - it ain't cheap. There are some "bargain" lines out there. But I'd stay away from those. A good quality rope will set you back quite a bit. Also there is some talk about UV damage to synthetic line. Some say you need to keep it covered. I never have. So I don't know. 

I'll replace mine this year and take the old line and make a couple extensions out of it. It's pretty easy to repurpose.

Now the JK and the new Jeep build both have steel. The infrequent use they will see - steel cable is just fine. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I've been running synthetic on the crawler since 07. I was very skeptical when I first installed it. But i'm a believer now. I did break it once. Dragged it over a sharp rock. But it's fairly easy to weave it back together and make a permanent repair. The repair is still holding. 

negatives - it ain't cheap. There are some "bargain" lines out there. But I'd stay away from those. A good quality rope will set you back quite a bit. Also there is some talk about UV damage to synthetic line. Some say you need to keep it covered. I never have. So I don't know. 

I'll replace mine this year and take the old line and make a couple extensions out of it. It's pretty easy to repurpose.

Now the JK and the new Jeep build both have steel. The infrequent use they will see - steel cable is just fine. 

Agree mostly. 

You can make a simple 'fid' out of an old clicker pen and let it float around in the bottom of the center console till you need it. 

A section of tubular webbing slipped over the line is a great rub protector. There are also velcro versions that help with rubbing. The only real downside is that you have to watch sharp edges a bit more with synthetic vs steel. It isn't really fragile though. I have abused mine a lot without issue. 

As far as the 'bargain lines'. I always wondered, so I tried it. I've been abusing some of the cheapest 3/8 line I could find on Amazon on my flat fender for 6 years now. It ran through two Ultimate Adventures including one with a 4-5 full length winch fest up a mountain. It has gone to moab a dozen or more times. I have never cleaned it. I don't baby it. It has been bomber. What most people/companies don't want to say is that most of this stuff is probably made in the same factory as everything else out there of the same materials. There might be exceptions, but I don't think it is as critical as people think. I'd love to see a production report for all the major manufactures as to where it is really made.....

I would agree that keeping it out of the sun will make it last longer. A simple marine vinyl cover that snaps over the drum wouldn't be a huge deal to make. 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

....As far as the 'bargain lines'. I always wondered, so I tried it. I've been abusing some of the cheapest 3/8 line I could find on Amazon on my flat fender for 6 years now. It ran through two Ultimate Adventures including one with a 4-5 full length winch fest up a mountain. It has gone to moab a dozen or more times. I have never cleaned it. I don't baby it. It has been bomber. What most people/companies don't want to say is that most of this stuff is probably made in the same factory as everything else out there of the same materials. There might be exceptions, but I don't think it is as critical as people think. I'd love to see a production report for all the major manufactures as to where it is really made.....
This is the testimony I was looking for. I wouldn't want to skimp on a winch line, but then I don't want to pay 3 to 4X more for a rope just because it says "WARN". Even if you changed the rope out twice as often, you would save money. Do you remember the exact brand your rope is?

Has anyone here had bad luck with "cheap" synthetic rope other than cutting it on a sharp edge?

A Warn 8000 costs almost 300 bucks more if you get it with synthetic rope. Seems to me that it would make more sense to buy the cable version and then buy a $100 rope..... unless someone has negative testimony.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 5:15pm
I don't think it had a 'brand' name, it's been like 6+ years now too....
The trade name for most of these lines would be 'Dyneema'. That is the fibers that the rope is made out of. I believe the most common reference these days is to SK-75, which is basically the strength classification. 

There are a lot more options these days on Amazon for budget line that is about $100 for 3/8 winch line with a hook about 90' long or so. 

The lack of longer lengths is probably the only bummer, but for what it costs you could spline on another section and still have leftovers to make other stuff. I actually like running a slightly shorter winch line. The 95 feet on my upright Belleview/Warn lets me get down on the wraps a bit faster for more pulling power. Throw a 50' extension or two in if you think you might need to reach out a bit further. Having less line on the winch drum also helps to deal with bunching on the drum when pulling sideways. 

Some notes. Being able to pull sideways is another bonus with synthetic line. It is MUCH easier to move a bunch of line over on the drum if you need to reset. The stuff is just SOOOO much easier to work with in general. You can spool off about how much you need and just toss the hook up the hill to the anchor. If you need more pulling power you can create a singlet type braid to allow you to pull more line off the drum if the anchor is kinda close. 

1942gpw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1942gpw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 12:48am
wow great information guys I really appreciate it. I researched it just on eBay seems like there's a lot of China rope out there. 50 foot and 95 foot really not bad price. But again China rope. I Know I Can Make a cover to keep it out of the sunlight. and I would be using this every once in awhile to winch myself out or maybe pull up another Jeep. I see the max rating is 6500 pounds I should be well okay with that. Thank you again so much for your help.

Matt R 
             Mt.Vernon, MO
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:27am
I broke some synthetic winch line a couple of years ago. It was on a cheaper winch (Smittybuilt, I think). I used that winch a lot on an old CJ7, with several instances where we pulled a bunch of Jeeps one right after another. The problem was the drum got really hot and actually melted the rope. The line broke right next to the drum, and it was pretty tough to get the remaining rope off of the drum.

Having said that, I run synthetic on all my winches.

Edited by bobevans - 06 May 2018 at 3:30am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by 1942gpw 1942gpw wrote:

wow great information guys I really appreciate it. I researched it just on eBay seems like there's a lot of China rope out there. 50 foot and 95 foot really not bad price. But again China rope. I Know I Can Make a cover to keep it out of the sunlight. and I would be using this every once in awhile to winch myself out or maybe pull up another Jeep. I see the max rating is 6500 pounds I should be well okay with that. Thank you again so much for your help.

Matt R 
             Mt.Vernon, MO

You want to use a 5/16 or 3/8 diameter winch line. Strength rating should be about 14,000-20,000lbs for the line generally. 

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I broke some synthetic winch line a couple of years ago. It was on a cheaper winch (Smittybuilt, I think). I used that winch a lot on an old CJ7, with several instances where we pulled a bunch of Jeeps one right after another. The problem was the drum got really hot and actually melted the rope. The line broke right next to the drum, and it was pretty tough to get the remaining rope off of the drum.

Having said that, I run synthetic on all my winches.

Good thing to be aware of for sure....

This is a winch/brake problem more than anything. It is common on planetary winches where the brake is in the drum. It gets worse if you power out the winch and the brake drags on the drum. 

You can get heat wrap for the 1st wrap on the drum which helps. 

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

....As far as the 'bargain lines'. I always wondered, so I tried it. I've been abusing some of the cheapest 3/8 line I could find on Amazon on my flat fender for 6 years now. It ran through two Ultimate Adventures including one with a 4-5 full length winch fest up a mountain. It has gone to moab a dozen or more times. I have never cleaned it. I don't baby it. It has been bomber. What most people/companies don't want to say is that most of this stuff is probably made in the same factory as everything else out there of the same materials. There might be exceptions, but I don't think it is as critical as people think. I'd love to see a production report for all the major manufactures as to where it is really made.....
This is the testimony I was looking for. I wouldn't want to skimp on a winch line, but then I don't want to pay 3 to 4X more for a rope just because it says "WARN". Even if you changed the rope out twice as often, you would save money. Do you remember the exact brand your rope is?

Has anyone here had bad luck with "cheap" synthetic rope other than cutting it on a sharp edge?

A Warn 8000 costs almost 300 bucks more if you get it with synthetic rope. Seems to me that it would make more sense to buy the cable version and then buy a $100 rope..... unless someone has negative testimony.

I have always ran Amsteel Blue synthetic rope. It is one of the few brands that isn't susceptible to light degradation...... and the other 2 main factors for me is 1. no loaded tension to rebound if you sustain a break, the 2 ends will just fall. 2. if you should incur a break, you can just granny knot tie it back to gether and keep going, or you can be creative and reweave the two ends... 
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:42pm
Excellent read gentlemen! I will be shopping for synthetic for my belleview, It had 125' of 5/16 steel on it when I bought it and didn't realize just how much that steel cable weighs until I unspooled it then rolled it up to keep for future use after a winch rebuild. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:49pm
Don't forget to buy a compatible fairlead too.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>