Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is tan an option?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centennial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is tan an option?
    Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:25pm
Hello, I am new to the forum and Bantam trailers.  I purchased 9025 last year and want to paint it, primarily to protect it.  In sanding and prepping, it looks like the original coat was a tan color.  Could that be correct?  As you can see, it's faded red but i suspect that it was not painted this color originally since there are a lot of drippings and a spare tire carrier has been welded on which matches the trailer color.  
Look forward to any expert help.  

Thanks, 
Chip 

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 12:37am
Chip,
I don't see that one in Art's database:

So this will be interesting to see - be sure to add your trailer info for Art.

Right now, the most common theory is there were two colors:  Red and Green.

Mine had multiple layers and I found the original between the assembled parts.  So, I'd suggest looking at the A frame mounts to see what colors you see.  That may help.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Centennial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centennial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:09am
Thanks Rus, ill try getting my info to Art.  I did look at bantamt3c, and other searches, and didn't see any mention of tan which is what prompted my question.  Attached is another picture but i will try getting a couple parts off.  Wasn't able to get enough purchase on the flat head bolt holding on the reflectors so onto the A frame I suppose.  

As for the final paint color, I have had a really difficult time coming up with a color match more specific than just "red" so was going to paint it "Harvard red" since pictures of faded examples seem to most closely match the current color.  If you or anyone else knows what paint codes match, i sure would appreciate it.  

Thanks again

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:57am
I've said it other posts, OD green has come up in very early trailers, then Red or Green was the two choices.

I would suspect that a dealer would paint it any color you like to make a customer happy and get that sale. 

Like Rus said look at the A frame mounts or unbolt a spring mount and look under it.

I've seen some pretty prestine paint on backs of wheel and hub mounting surfaces.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centennial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:59pm
Mystery solved; it's red.  I decided to see if i could expose the logo lettering and the tan was over the white letters.  However, under the letters is red.  There is a thick clear coat there that makes the lettering appear to "float" above the paint.  I couldn't get a picture that really shows it.  

Thanks, 
Chip 

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 5:02pm
Always cool to find the original logo!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:21am
Hi Chip:

Nice to hear you found what looks like to be the original color of Red on your trailer.  Congrats!!!!  Since you mentioned that you were going to paint yours "Harvard Red", I just wanted to show you mine painted in "Bengal Red".  

It came out sweet and I love the color on it.  Enjoy.

b/r,

Joel

Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:01pm
Nice work Chip!!

Joel, that's a good looking trailer!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:18pm
Thank you Rus!!!!! I appreciate the complement Thumbs Up
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centennial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:07pm
Joel,
Your trailer looks great.  I would be more than happy if mine comes out anywhere near that.  Where did you get the new shackle hardware/parts? 

Chip
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:17am
Chip:

Thank you very much for the compliment!  The shackle hardware came from Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts.  I actually had to dig into my files to find the paperwork.  That was back in 2010 and I paid $10 per shackle at that time.  Don't be surprised if the prices have gone up by now.

The funny part about it is that since finishing the restoration on her I have not used the trailer no even once.  It's in an inside storage unit, away from the elements so she still looks brand new.  I don't think I have put 5 miles on those new tires yet.

The only thing not original on my trailer is the safety chains.  I had to improvise and put M416 chains because the originals would not reach my Jeep but I still have the original chains to that trailer.  Another thing is the hitch part.  I had to ditched it, by mistake, the original hardware and sold it.  Again, by mistake.  So, it has a 2" receiver on it.  And lastly, the taillights are not original, as you can see from the picture.  They are from an A-model type vehicle but they were are close to the Arrow type vintage taillight that came originally with the trailer.

I also installed a 1/2" thick rubber mat on the bed of the trailer so that I wouldn't scratch that new powder coat.  It was expensive, if you know what I mean Thumbs Up

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply