Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:28am
Hey guys, new CJ-2A owner here......need some input. I bought it yesterday, its been rebuilt from the frame up, really nice Jeep. Guy I bought it from lives at 4000ft, I live at 6500ft.

Fires right up, idles fine......get it moving and as soon as it gets up to operating temp it sputters like crazy and wants to die....strong gas smell. If I pull over and let it cool down, it runs fine for a few minutes, then starts sputtering again under any load.

I spent all night here reading, I've pulled the carb adjustment screw and its not damaged in any way. I put it all the way back in and brought it out 1.5 turns...idles fine, until its under load then sputters and dies. I've tried 1/4 turn each direction....no affect.
I then tried timing. It was at 5* BTDC. The idles is ok, but moving to 8-10* BTDC brings up the idle a bit......but again as soon as its warm and under load it sputters and dies. I checked the carb and the fuel is moving, doesnt look to be the issue.
The air intake/oil filter isnt tight on the carb, its kind of just sitting on top...the clamp wont hold it down at all....but to me that doesnt seem like it could cause this issue. I cant find any vacuum leaks, and the engine was recently rebuilt (last year) with minimal miles.
Guy I bought it from says hes stumped, he didnt have any issues at all and hes sure its just the altitude I live at....He seems to be a straight up guy and is trying to help.....but I need your combined genius to get this baby on the road. I appreciate any input and you guys trying to take the time to help.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:36am
My first thought is vapor-lock....but the previous owner said he drove it 25 miles the other day without an issue, and hes never had it vapor-lock before. I see the fuel line isnt insulated at all....but its been in the 30s and 40s the last 24 hours....would that prevent vapor-lock?
1947 CJ-2A Willys
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:17am
This is the answer I give a lot, but many of us have had issues with the condenser. Even brand new ones out of the box have been bad. With mine the Jeep would start and run but had no power and cough and sputter under any kind of load. Swapped out the condenser and good as new.
Might not be the problem, but it’s easy and cheap to swap it out.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:31am
Thank you so much.....any chance a NAPA/Autozone/ETC might have one? I'll swap that out tomorrow and take it from there.

I was trying to find a vacuum port to find the sweet spot for my elevation, but I cant seem to find a port on the intake. Any recommendations?
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Baker6x6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baker6x6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:34am
Pull/read the spark plugs.. will help decide whether it's electrical or fuel related.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:59pm
Sure sounds like you may have a dead cylinder to me. Without load, the energy in the flywheel is able to smooth/cover up a dead cylinder to the point you may not notice it.
I would start by pulling off spark plug wires while it is running to see if you indeed have a dead cylinder. If cylinder is producing power, the engine idle will change (slow down and stumble) when wire is disconnected. If no change in idle, then that cylinder is not producing any power. Caution... put on a heavy leather glove to insulate you from a possible uncomfortable zinger from crappy wires.

If you do indeed have a dead cylinder, then your next step is to determine if it's electrical, fuel, or a mechanical problem. More on that later if you need to take that step.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:07pm
Here is a simple thing to check.Check if the needle valve in the float bowl of the carb is free and working properly.  If it is of the rubber tip variety, change it - they get dried out.
Perhaps it is sticking open and flooding the engine.... hence the "Strong gas smell".
Check the float level whilst you're in there.

Related, is the fuel pump pressure too high?
Best, Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:47am
.Its a fresh rebuild, so the cylinders are good. Took it to an old time shop and they told me the carb needs a new jet. Said that he had to take his down two sizes to get it to stop dumping fuel. Also said vapor lock is a pretty big issue up here.....hopefully this will get me going.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Baker6x6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baker6x6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 2:21am
If you are having trouble with vaporlock.. there is a very thick carb base gasket and you could possibly make a heat shield for the carb.
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 2:24am
thank you, that was my next question. I was looking to insulate the fuel line all the way to the tank....it seems too close to the exhaust in a few places.  

What are your guys thoughts on a Solex carb to replace the original
1947 CJ-2A Willys
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:38am
I'm with Stan.  Sounds like a crappy condenser to me.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:05am
Montana,
Your fuel line should not be close to the exhaust. Is it a homemade replacement?

I had one in mine, too close to the exhaust and not secured. Omix makes a pre-bent replacement. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. Kit included flexible line to the fuel pump, the hard line to the carb an three retaining clips.

I have a Solex and have no problems with it.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:34am
  Your "Old-time Shop" is full of it. There are a bunch of us here who live at elevations of anywhere from 5,000 to 9,000 ft, and all are running the stock jet and metering rod. Mostly because there are no other jets or rods available. We commonly run to 13,000 ft and more with no problems. This time of year at your elevation, you should not have any vaporlock problems. If you are, too bad, your jeep will not run at all come summer. I would be looking elsewhere.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:00pm
The original Carter WO is a far better carb than the Solex.  I know that a lot of folks run a Solex and are satisfied with it.  When I bought my '48 it had a Solex and it ran ok.  But I replaced it with a completely rebuilt Carter from Scoutpilot and it runs MUCH better.  It starts easy, plenty of power and no hesitation or flat spots.  
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Montana Mountain M Montana Mountain M wrote:

What are your guys thoughts on a Solex carb to replace the original

Personally I would take the money that I would use buying a solex and send your carb to 'ol jeep carbs for a rebuild, scoutpilot here on this forum provides an awesome service to all of us willys owners.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

... There are a bunch of us here who live at elevations of anywhere from 5,000 to 9,000 ft, and all are running the stock jet and metering rod. Mostly because there are no other jets or rods available. We commonly run to 13,000 ft and more with no problems. This time of year at your elevation, you should not have any vaporlock problems.   BW

X2Wink
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:54pm
I see a lot of back and forth over the elevation thing. Whats crazy to me is it run perfect for 5 minutes, then stats sputtering worse and worse until it dies.....and smells of gas. I'll replace the condenser today and see what that does.....
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:12pm
"....and smells of gas."
If for any reason the fuel in the cylinder is not being burned, what do you suppose the exhaust will smell like?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>