Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some verification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some verification
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:36am
In the back of my mind I remembered there was a Ford OD 4 speed that might fit that 250.
Did a quick search and found the RTS.
Should bolt up to your bell housing.
Very short.
3.25 first gear.
OD 4th gear.
 Uses a shift tower, so if it is close to the right place, it could look original from the top.
Was used in Broncos, so even though it would need an adaptor, it is no stranger to having a transfer case behind it.
Might be worth looking into.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:13am
As you get it sorted out and start driving it, you will find which things it needs now and which can be put off.
1946 CJ2A 14098
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:07am
thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Mike S, I’m super glad you chimed in here!  I was looking thru your threads the other day looking for picures of your build!  I almost replied to your thread trying to sell super swampers TIL I realized it was from last month... two years ago haha.  If I can get the tranny and brakes cleaned up I’d love to meet up with you in SC sometime, I really like your Jeep!

Mark, thank you for the reality check, I’m not goin down the road of resto anytime soon again.  This is my first Willys or Jeep but I have restored a bunch of cars, and houses for that matter (contractor) so I know all about the rabbit hole lol.  If you want something nice and cheap you should buy it done, am I right? Lol.

Color sanded and Cut the thing today, got all the fluids swapped and have it running off it’s own tank.  A little confused by the clutch and the brakes, haven’t taken pictures but think there is some serious bubba work at play as you guys would say. Anyhow here’s some pics, cleaned up pretty good!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:44pm
TJ -- nice looking Willys. If your need them, I may have various parts that could help you out. I am in Palo Alto, but come over the hill to Santa Cruz often as my daughter and my warehouse are over there. Right now my Willys is also in Santa Cruz, as my mechanic is over there.

PM me if I can help out.

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:40pm
The gear drive is the improved version of the engine. It would be from early 47 through 64 when they stopped using the 134L

The ends of the frame can be restored a good welder would be important (as in the person not the equipment)

I personally would advise you to get what you got road safe and trail happy then do a lot of research and learning before attempting any sort of restoration. Yes it would be good to have another early 2A back to stock condition. But should you venture down this path from your starting point. Plan on at least a couple years of work as well as many thousands of dollars. All the time no fun seat time.

You can figure out what you need to restore you can buy up parts and pieces and keep driving your jeep. Buy a couple of sturdy metal shelves to organize and store your parts and when you can find no more to buy THEN start tearing things apart (at which time you will find a couple thousand dollars of more things you need).

That Ford 6cyl is an excellent engine and should you decide to run with it for a while I can send you a list of things you can do to it to greatly improve its performance and economy without ever removing the head. We had one in a 67 Mustang that I got up to 26mpg commuting.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:10pm
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:00pm
thanks for all the kind words guys.

Dragged this guy home yesterday, going to clean it up this weekend and hopefully get it running, my plan for now is remove all the crap additions, just leave it as is and head in the direction of correct parts over time.  It’s pretty cool to know it’s a good candidate for resto in the future.  The only thing that’s a bummer is the hack job to the front end

So a few more questions if y’all don’t mind because I am pretty new to workin on these things, especially new to caring about stock.

looking In the data archives, it seems I’m looking for an MB style windshield.  What does that mean? No Willys script or just mb style hinges with the script? If anybody has one in NorCal they want to trade for a fairly good 3a let me know. Haha.

Seats, I need seats, assume correct is just normal 2a but if not please advise, again if you got some in NorCal lmk.

Tires and wheels,  if there is one sketchy thing about flat towing this baby 30 miles yesterday it is the amount of rot in the sidewalls after sitting in an orchard for 20 years.  Here I don’t want to go full blown stock, at least right now but would like to get away from wide.  Something tall but narrow, like tsl 29s or something

Other thing is engine, I see a correct block for sale not far from me but it is a gear drive and I am Leary about that, if anyone has a gear drive can you let me know how that has been for you? Obviously I will use the search function too.  

After this weekend I will start up a project page but it is going to be extremely slow going, I wasn’t looking for a project this just fell in my lap, pretty stoked about it tho!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:13pm
I was hoping you were gonna find an acm in the low 500's Smile... the 530th 2A deserves better, lol.

If you cant consider a return to original, id rather see it as is or passed on than modded out but thats me... and still, your jeep your rules, its just you have the opportunity that some of us would die for, lol...

Nice find!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:59am
Body looks straight.
250 is an interesting choice of engines.
Since it looks like it got some mods to make that happen, it may be much easier to restore around it.
Should be plenty to use an overdrive with.
If you keep it, I have some Clifford headers left from a long gone Falcon.
1946 CJ2A 14098
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:47pm
You have one of the rarest and most valuable CJ2a jeeps. The body number and serial number indicate it was built in 1945. The body number tag on the firewall is obviously wrong. Harvest Tan was one of two colors, the other Pasture Green, available in 1945. Only 1841 were built in 1945. I hope you will eventually be able to restore it.

DonH
1946CJ2A
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:30am
some more
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:17am
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:14am
So spent some time on the cj today and fired right up!  Clutch is stuck and brakes are on the floor but I am optimistic about getting the thing back up fairly easily.

Found the ACM#. 512, so I guess from looking at the data page the 10530 number is correct and the body number must have been used for registration.  Also figured out that it was originally tan and it has either a repop or Donor tailgate.  I need to figure out why, I would much rather use the correct numbers when I have to deal with the dmv as opposed to what is or was being used last time. Any help on that would be great.

At some point I would like to restore the vehicle but right now I am just going to get it on the road.  It could use an entire new floor and whoever put in the engine hacked up the front end pretty impressively. Appreciate the help everybody, I will start another thread elsewhere to show my progress and maybe lend some help to someone else at some point.

Ty

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:59pm
Welcome to the madness!

You do not have the Jeep disease too bad yet. If you did, you would have seven Willys' in your driveway. I know that I would!

If some one swapped out data plates so that they could have a clean title, they would not announce that fact to the world. Since, as you say, you, "Didn’t pay attention to the history of it much throughout the years", some one could have swapped out the data plates & you would not know.

Heck, that scenario has happened to me with my family. It was an old Chevy truck that got swapped. There were 15 of them in our private junk yard. The one I chose to "rust-o-mod" had the wrong data plate on it. It turns out that one of my cousins needed the clean title that came with my truck, so they just swapped out the two data plates. This was in Northern California, so DMV was a major hassle, even for a 45 year old farm truck. I ended up swapping data plates again. I swapped with a different truck that also came with a good title. Only, I actually scrapped the other one out.

Please take some more pictures.

Edited to fix an "auto correct" spelling error.

Edited by cpt logger - 23 May 2018 at 11:02pm
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:03pm
I didn’t take the pictures I have, just enlarged them and tried to make sense of it.  Today I am going to drain all the fluids and try to get it started, I will check for ACM numbers.  There were 7 Willy’s on the property at one time, and I know they were painted there sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, probably need to check all the other body plates too and make sure there wasn’t a mixup but there is red paint on these plates. 

I will report back this afternoon, Appreciate all the input!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:07am
I'm not convinced that is 10530.....under magnification that doesn't look like a 1.

I think more cleaning is in order.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:58am
”...but I know nobody swapped a data plate on it...”

I wouldnt bet the farm on that... something seems amiss.  If the SN tag is hard to read id remove it and try to read the stamping from the back.  Maybe make a rubbing.  There’s no way 196331 had tool indents, but 10530 all but definately would have.  ACM numbers would go a long way... Does it have a glove box?  Any evidence that it used to be a column shift?

Edited by mbullism - 23 May 2018 at 9:17am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:14am
BTW, welcome to the page, TJRad!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>