Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New windshield glass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New windshield glass
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:11am
I see that there are lots of threads about the difficulty in getting new glass into the frame with the rubber glass seal that Walcks sells. That's what I have.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/windshield-glass-seal_topic35286.html

The advice seems to be to get a local glass shop to do it so that if they break it on the install they have to replace it, which seems good advice.

However my question relates to whether it is a best option to use the old style rubber seal in the first place. It would seem that the very reason that so many innerframes rusted out in the first instance was that the inner seals dry out and crack over time, and water seeps into the channel from which it can't get out - and rust is the inevitable result.

Is there any distinct advantage to using the old style rubber seal over black silicon? Or to be more blunt, is there anything I am overlooking if I am tending towards using black silicon in place of the old style seal? Yes, you lose the "original" look. But you might have 20 years of motoring without worrying about water sitting in the channel and rusting the frame. It just seems that if we have more modern materials available today, which they didn't have back in the '40, should we not be using them? It sure would make the installation a little easier. 

I have the Walcks seal already, by the way. Just researching the best option to use before I go ahead with glass in 2-3 weeks time.

Thumbs Up
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:09am
Silicon gets my vote.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:23am
Mine, too.
Rick Estes
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:06pm
What I did to install my glass in the windshield frame I used Gorilla tape around the glass to have a  snug fit instead of the rubber seal and after the glass was all in place I trim the tape at the frame and applied a fast cure urethane auto glass adhesive / sealant.You can check it out in my build in Your Jeep Project .
“Restoring cj2a into MB tribute WWII “. Page 6. Hope this helps.

That is what the glass shop told me to do after the rubber glass seal did not fit.They told me to use a tape around the glass. I used Gorilla tape,that’s what I had and it work really good.

Edited by Gil - 23 May 2018 at 1:13pm
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Baker6x6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baker6x6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:58pm
Glass shops use a "glass-setting-tape" for flat glass and other antique glass installation. It comes in different thicknesses. It feels like cloth infused with a tar-like substance. They put it around the glass- so it fits snug, but you don't have to "drive" the glass in. Then, they wet it with a solvent (might just be water). It swells, and the coating gets "gooey"... and seals itself to the channel and glass.

Take the glass and the channel to the glass shop- and either have them do it... or ask them for the correct size tape.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

That is what the glass shop told me to do after the rubber glass seal did not fit.They told me to use a tape around the glass. I used Gorilla tape,that’s what I had and it work really good.

That’s  the type of tape name I was looking for “Glass setting tape “ the shop did not have any so I snug fitted with the Gorilla tape and sealed it around. Water can’t get in .Over one year now with no problem.That the way I did it, doesn’t mean it’s right .
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:40pm
It should be noted here this discussion only pertains to the CJ-2A windshield. The 3A windshield so common on 2A's is a completely different type of glass to metal fit it uses a double slotted rubber gommet like gasket with a shaped bead inserted into the inside face to create tension against the glass and the metal flange it fits over. The 3A style should be an easy install for most restorers. t
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:43am
I find the 3A style w/s frame just doesn't look right on a 2A.  Also, the glass doesn't tilt out.  The little vent doesn't vent all that much in comparison.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I find the 3A style w/s frame just doesn't look right on a 2A.  Also, the glass doesn't tilt out.  The little vent doesn't vent all that much in comparison.

Well from the outside the only real difference between a 2A and a 3A if you swap the windshield are the Top bow pockets So you saying you don't like the looks of a 3A which is fine. But the thing is a LOT of 2A have 3A windshields on them cause the originals went to crap.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:03am
Thanks for the comments and feedback. It seems no one is voting for the original style sealing rubber on a CJ2A windshield - no apparent advantages and lots of potential hassles! I'll check in with my local glass place and see what tapes and sealants are available on this side of the pond.

Thumbs Up
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:59pm
Thanks for starting this thread Mike, been getting my head ready for this job for a week now (even asked the wife for possible assistance). I have the glass setting tape like Baker 6x6 is talking about, thought about gluing the tape to the glass first, Rock & Roll and Gill sound good too though! Anyone actually used the glass setting tape and install it themselves? what about the solvent Baker6x6 mentioned? Thanks in advance Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:36pm
No problem Joe. Your and my project have always been at about the same stage of development... I think we have had many of the same questions at roughly the same times!

I went to the paint shop just now to finalise my Normady Blue colour. I hope to be ready for paint in about 2 weeks! Very exciting step! While I was there I found this stuff...

SikaTack Go! Windscreen Adhesive - sure sounds like the right stuff hey?

So in the absence of any good reasons to install the original style rubber seal, I think I will be following Gil's method - enough friction tape on the edges to get a snug, even fit, then seal up the remaining gap with this stuff.

I got a quote from a local glass place for 1/4" thick double layer safety glass at R390/pane for supply only, which is around $30 per pane. Seems reasonable to me. Then I can fit and seal at home in my own time.

The guy giving me the quote looked at me funny and wanted to know why the windshield was so small. Then I told him it was two panes in a split windshield. We had a good laugh... LOL

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:30pm
I seem to have a habit of breaking windshield glass using many different and unique methods. So I have been getting good at swapping it out. I know that most of you won't be as clever as I am at finding different ways to break your glass, but if you do, that silicone glass setting stuff is a pain to get out of the channel so that you can get the new glass in there.
What I have been doing is get a roll of glass setting tape from the glass shop where  I buy my panels. I then put a little dish soap on the tape to help it stick to the glass and to help it slide into the channel. I wrap the tape around the glass with the seam at the top and slide it in. you have to trim the corners to keep it from bunching up there. Then I bolt on top piece of the channel and don't worry about anything else except trimming any of the tape that hangs out and cleaning up the glass.
Now when I break I can just pop the top channel off, reset the tape and slide in the new glass. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:28pm
Thanks for the info Stan. The tape I have is 1 1/2" wide, Think I should cut it in half before wrapping around? I was patting myself on the back for successfully removing 4 pieces of original glass intact, when going into a dark shop the next day knocked over 2 panes, I now have 3 pieces of original glass and know one to blame but myself, Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Thanks for the info Stan. The tape I have is 1 1/2" wide, Think I should cut it in half before wrapping around? I was patting myself on the back for successfully removing 4 pieces of original glass intact, when going into a dark shop the next day knocked over 2 panes, I now have 3 pieces of original glass and know one to blame but myself, Joe W

Well, I haven't used that clever method of breaking the glass yet. I did break a piece while trying to slide the inner windshield frame into the outer one time. 

My experience is not extensive in the least, and may not in fact reflect "best industry practices" as they say, but I have found that the wider the tape is, the easier it is to keep wrapped around the edges of the glass and not have it slip off as you slide the glass into the frame. It's easy to trim the excess off with a razor blade when it's all buttoned up.

Once again, none of this I learned from anyone that knows what they are doing. Just from a guy (myself) that tries not to make same mistakes twice. I do often make different mistakes doing the same job multiple times though. Ouch

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:23am
I had my windshield all glassed and painted - ready to go on the Jeep. Then someone SAT ON IT. fractured the nice original glass (with correct maker's mark). I took it to a glass shop and had them replace the panes with correct safety glass. PITA.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:30am
Sounds like that COULD have been a literal PITA!

Rick Estes
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

So you saying you don't like the looks of a 3A which is fine. But the thing is a LOT of 2A have 3A windshields on them cause the originals went to crap.

Yeah, I don't really like the 3A w/s frame.  It is certainly true that there are MANY 2As running around with 3A frames.  I guess I just prefer a w/s frame that gives the impression of an MB w/s frame.  Just to demonstrate my peculiarities, I am perfectly okay with an M-38 having the correct w/s frame.  It's just a personal issue.  Wacko

I have also used the window setting tape to put the glass back in my w/s frame.  The tape I used was about 1-1/2" wide and pretty thin with no adhesive.  I wrapped the edge of the glass with the tape and stuffed it into the inner frame, then trimmed it with a razor blade.  Easy as pie--except for the part where I knelt on the driver's side pane.  That one is now on the passenger side, with the big crack out of my line of sight.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>