Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koenig Hard Top Fitment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koenig Hard Top Fitment
    Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:48pm
Hello All,

Earlier this year I purchased a Koenig hard top which I thought would fit on my 2A but after some work in the garage today trying to install the top, I think it's for a different CJ such as a 3a or 3b.  I have a couple of questions. Has anyone been successful in adapting a top like this to fit on a 2a? Second, if I decide not to keep it, is there a way to ID the model so I can advertise it correctly for sale.  I have the doors for the top as well.  The fitment on the back of the tub seems fine, the issue is in the height of the top at the front of the windshield.  Pictures attached.

Thanks,
Dave

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:22am
Due to the width, it looks like it might be for an early CJ-5. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 1:08am
I was thinking it might be for an early CJ5 too, but I did a little more research today and found the CJ5 has a tub width of 59 1/2" and the early CJ's have a tub width of 57 1/8".  The back of this Koenig top measures 57 1/4" so I think it's within the 3a or 3b family.  More research to do...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 1:45am
How the doors mount may tell you something about the expected use of the top.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 3:56am
I'm with Ol' on this one, some doors have a piece that mounts to the side of the windshield frame that just may fill out the width issue. I have an aluminum top that was used on a DJ3A (shorter windshield height) and they put a filler piece along the top of the windshield frame, fastened the WS frame with one row of fasteners and to the top itself with yet another row. Really looked pretty good.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:55pm
I think I have the fitment figured out.  It looks like this top is for a 3a.  I found a resource on the web that had the measurements for windshield height of the 2A (25"), 3A (27"), and 3B (22 /12") and this top measures just at 27" for the front height.  Also, the doors look like they would mount on the top sides to a flat surface vs. a tube.  I have everything installed to check the fitment and it looks like the easiest solution is to get a 3A windshield for when I want to run the hard top. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 5:05am
Just don't make it so it's more trouble than it's worth to take the hardtop off.  Then you won't want to and you'll never drive it with the windshield down, which is a large part of what makes driving a flatfender so cool!  Thumbs Up
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:46pm
I agree.  We spent some time yesterday riding around in my other '46 with the front window down.  It was a great day to be out in a Willys.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:53pm
Here is a shot from the sides with the doors installed.  I did a quick run through of the windows and was able to get them working as well as the latches.  It's missing the rear latch and there is some more work to be done to make the rear window functional. 

Edited by dluber - 28 May 2018 at 1:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by dluber dluber wrote:

Lemme guess which house is yours...  Smile
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 11:56pm
That's a nice top!  Nice little fleet too.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply