Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power loss, in high RPM.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:36am
To answer a question with an opinion.

If you have to crack the engine the smart move is to do a complete total rebuild. Other wise you are just going to have some other problem show up.

Do it once and do it right.

Do it half ass and that what you get a half ass engine.

JUST MY OPINION.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

To answer a question with an opinion.

If you have to crack the engine the smart move is to do a complete total rebuild. Other wise you are just going to have some other problem show up.

Do it once and do it right.

Do it half ass and that what you get a half ass engine.

JUST MY OPINION.

X2... "pennies" now is "dollars" later.  You'll probably spend ten years chasing the weak links out

Back in the day I honed and re-ringed an F head.  Within a year I dropped a wrist pin and lost the engine Confused

Edited by mbullism - 10 June 2018 at 11:48am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:17pm
I have honed and replaced rings on a L-134 and had success.

Just wanted you to know it doesn't always turn out bad...or expensive.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:40am
My L head was acting up. I was worried I needed to do a rebuild. Luckily it was just a bad carb and  some adjustments. 
A full overhaul kit is $600-800.  Not sure how much work you do yourself, but having a professional do do it is probably an additional $1000-1500 depending upon what all the engine needs. So you're probably in for a Max of $2k.  But that gets you a 0 miles engine with warranty that should last you another 50 years depending on how you treat it.
Whoever does it, make sure they do it right. I've had it in this experiences some self-inflicted others sloppy job from an otherwise good mechanic I no longer use.

Let us know what ends up happening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123