Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - June 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - June 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:46pm
Mark, get you an old socket and cut a decent sized slot across it (to slip the cotter pin through) and squeeze it with a c-clamp enough to slide the pin thru the hole.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:21pm
I had the same issue with the shocks. Someone on the forum posted using a PVC sprinkler pipe connector with a notch cut out for the pin. Use it with a C clamp to compress the bushing.

They do sell later versions with threaded studs.

There is a special Monroe tool for this:

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:18pm
Put a little wiring on the farm jeep untill it started to rain again lastnight, so worked on cleaning the fuel tank.
Weather says 20% rain so I drove the 46 to work this morning with the windshield down.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:23pm
Hmmm...Rain? What's that?
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 2:11pm
Took it to a shop and said fix it!
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 5:22pm
Bought a rebuild kit for my steering gear box for it.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 11:30pm
I hit a semi-local salvage yard and picked up a new air cleaner. I want a Donaldson style unit so I can fit a snorkel, but I don't have the room in the engine bay for one.

A week or so back I remembered that my mom's old beater "The Beast' had a canister-style air cleaner. It was an 88 Dodge Colt Vista. God, I hated working on that thing...

Anyway, this is the 'proof-of-concept' mockup. The cleaner is 88 Dodge Colt Vista, the hose is RV furnace ducting, and the 'carb bonnet' is from a TBI Magnum V8 Dakota. Total cost including a new filter was $31

I'm going to cut welds on the canister to remove the factory brackets and the oval inlet. I'll fab up new brackets and a 3" round inlet and get it mounted up. I'll likely hit the salvage yard again and see if I can fabricobble ducting from the air cleaner to the carb bonnet.

The eventual snorkel will be in the same location as on an M38, but I'm going to build a free-standing mount for it so I don't have to take it down to drop the windshield. We fold it down any time we can get away with it.

Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

Well, I figure that if it was an issue with right hand lug nuts coming loose, all the cars on the highway would have right and left hand studs and nuts...I've been bending wrenches for almost 40 years...and only seen wheels come off a few times...everytime it was because of human error...MG

I had the same question a few years back and went digging for the answer.

It turns out that RH threads on old wheels will back off driving down the road and LH threads stay tight.

The Lamp moment in the industry was actually a change in the rim design.

If you look at the lug hole in a stock KH Willys rim, you'll see that the steel around the hole is flat. The edge is beveled to accept the acorn nut, but the metal around the hole is flat.

In fact, if you look at the back side of the rim, you'll notice that the stud hole is mostly unsupported. There are a pair of ridges or rings located inside and outside the radius of the bolt circle that take the load of torqued lug nuts, but they don't provide enough clamping force to actually lock the lug nut down.

Contrast that to a modern steel rim. It has a convex cone pressed into it and that the area where the lug nut torques down sits directly against the drum/flange. When you tighten a modern acorn nut against this cone, the compression of the rim against the drive flange prevents the nut from backing out all by itself. It's essentially a permanent, built-in lock washer.

So if you're going to use modern rims, you can use all RH wheel studs. If you're going to use period correct rims, you should use LH wheel studs on the left side of the vehicle.

And now I need to step out and properly torque the transmission drive gear nut down and take the kids out for ice cream. Big smile

Edited by LesBerg - 16 June 2018 at 12:23am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

Finally got my Westinghouse t-1 compressor rebuilt and mounted late, late Monday night for a show early Tuesday morning. Therefore, I was afraid to run it. Another show Sunday, so I will try running it after that. Amazing how much attention is attracted yesterday. Big thanks to Sandusky here for casting the strainer for me. A local guy made the bracket for me.

Bill
           Thanks for sharing the pic's, first one I've ever seen, nice restoration job! It seems like the belt would wander off the tapered pulley( I've seen a gen run that way and it didn't). On an unrelated question, I plan on plating my 48 soon, Where did you find a plate in that good of condition? Do you buy the plate first then bring it to the sec of state? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 12:00pm
Painted the wheels, put on new tires and added new wheel bearings

T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 1:23am
A couple weeks ago I picked up an original, but rusty horn and mount. I finally got it cleaned up and painted. Nothing fancy, just semi-gloss black. After the paint dries well, I'll send it off to my friend who repair/rebuilds auto-lite horns. I'll let him put it together with new bits and pieces as needed and get it adjusted, tuned and beeping. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:55am
I had a thought I was going to flat tow my salad to my work and then drop it off with the fellow who is going to get it running for me....but the daily driver S10 sits just a little too low for the jacked up Willys Jeep...so we are hiring a flatbed to pick it up instead...I also learned you cant back it up when it is on the end of the tow bar....it does tow ok around the yard tho...so took it for a walk around the yard....
I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:53am
@mikec4193, did you get five of those wheels?  What brand are they?  They are aluminum, aren't they?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 3:58am
  I unloaded it from the trailer, with the same mileage on it that was there when I loaded it Friday.........Cry          BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:05am
Remember Bruce, Mother Nature is IN CHARGE! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:41am
Not much today. Figure out about buying gas. oh yeah master cylinder is out.

Jus another hurdle.
uncamonkey
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:52am
Topped off the fuel tank. Added a touch of lead substitute and fired it up. The Jeep gods smiled upon me and the fuel gauge randomly started working. 

Need to do the final bleed on the brakes later today.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:14am
Drove it, between the rain spells, and got the mail.
Rick Estes
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:42pm
Hey ole unreliable

Yes they are aluminum wheels ...not sure of the make...they are 15" wheels and the tires are 31 / 10.5 ....not sure of the brand on them either...I will be selling them as soon as I get the stock ones back on it...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>