Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original '47 2A Color - Picket Gray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original '47 2A Color - Picket Gray
    Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:15pm
I plan to have my 47 in paint this summer and like many of you, I'm struggling to decide on a color. Harvest Tan, Olive Drab, Pasture Green or Normandy Blue.
Now I'm thinking to also look at the original factory color of this 2A. In the attached photos, it sort of looks like Manila Blue to me - which is not listed as a 2A color for 47, but was for other 47 Willys vehicles. Either way, the original color seems to be obscure for typical 2A's. Was hoping the experts here could tell me the original color so I can add to my list of choices. If I can't decide, I figure I can't go wrong with the original color of this jeep. I also have a steel Keonig 1/2 cab to paint the same color. In some places there was a pale blue sprayed over a darker blue/gray color. The lower fire wall and trans tunnel looks like the original color. Let me know what you think! Thanks, John

Edited by JohnB - 13 Oct. 2019 at 5:43am
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:20pm
Looks like Potomac Gray or Picket Gray, the darker Gray of the two options... I believe Potomac?
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 9:00pm
Manila Blue?  I don't know this color. 

Could be my computer screen, but I'm seeing Picket Gray.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 10:13pm
That is UNDENIABLY PICKETT GREY. You can take that diagnosis to the BANK!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 10:38pm
Agreed,  My 47 is that color and it's Picket Grey.  On a side note, my 46's original color was Normandy Blue which is very very close to my 2017 Silverado's Deep Ocean Blue. 

Tim
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 12:39am
I was trying to look at the color as one of the grays, but it seemed to have a slight blue tint to it. Of course all the color samples are off a little (or a lot) so it's hard to match up. Would anyone happen to have a current paint formula they feel is a good match for Picket Gray? Everyone's help in the forum is greatly appreciated!

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:33am
That grey has the slightly greenish look of Potomac Grey to me.  Picket Grey is a more definitely grey.  It looks like Potomac Grey to me, but it might be my monitor, too.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:31pm
Pickett Gray is the color with the slight greenish tint. Although listed on paint charts as a 47 color it was introduced late in the 1946 production. The wheel color with Pickett Gray is Harvard Red with an Americar Black stripe.

DonH
1946CJ2A
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:43pm
Thanks for the responses. Really glad to nail the color down as Picket Gray. I will be painting this color. I have been searching the internet for a current formula and can't find anything except the PPG/Ditsler code. Does anyone have a current formula they think represents Picket Gray? I have some old metal floor pieces with pretty good color I had to cut out so I will probably try to do a color match to the original paint samples.

Edited by JohnB - 04 June 2018 at 12:52am
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:50am
Originally posted by DonH DonH wrote:

Pickett Gray is the color with the slight greenish tint.

Why did the grey colors both have to start with "P"?  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:02pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:08pm
I searched my garage and found a Picket Gray paint can. The paint is a BASF product under the LIMCO brand name. It is Supreme Plus Urethane Single Stage paint listed as an AMC product under the name Picket Gray. My preference was to use single stage as being more traditional. For what its worth the formula, partly obscured by paint, is as follows:

LA1201    146.90
LA1242     294.90
LA1237     310.80
LA1265     52*.*0
LA2999     1010.**

Their website is http://refinish.basf.us/brands/limco/ and there are several distributors in and around Saint Louis. They can also supply Harvard Red.

On a side note, plan on removing every trace of the red oxide primer as the new paint won't stick to it. Blasting is preferable, sanding and paint removers are horrible, guess how I know.

Hope this helps,

DonH

1946CJ2A
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 8:31pm
Don, thanks for the help and advice. It took me longer to get to the paint stage than I planned!Confused I have been sanding down to bare metal and have painted all the parts except the tub. Hope to paint the tub in the next 10 days / 2 weeks - before it gets too cold to paint. I'm using epoxy primer and acrylic urethane Picket Gray. The more I look at the color the more I like it. Lastly I'll paint the wheels Harvard Red. Can't wait til it's done. John
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2019 at 5:20pm
Lot of hard work but worth it, congratulations! Hope to see some pictures when you are finished. Don't forget the Americar Black stripe on the wheels.

DonH
1946CJ2A
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2019 at 6:47pm
Don't worry, the red wheels with black pinstripe will be the icing on my Willys cake! I will post photos of it.
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 4:14am
Hey John, did you came up with a formula for picket gray or are you using Dons suggestion? 
Max
CJ2A 110861
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 5:17am
Max, I ended up ordering from TCP Global out of San Diego. They have the Willys colors and I'm happy with the Picket Gray from them. I ordered their epoxy primer and acrylic urethane. Check them out online. John
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 1:18pm
Thanks John, I am living abroad, so importing the paint is not an option, I will check if I can get paint chips from them, Max
Max
CJ2A 110861
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>