Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO winch u joints????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO winch u joints????
    Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:54pm
Jay,

You sound like me.  I think really like the Ramsey PTO1 to run a front PTO winch. I also have  twin stick Ramsey running a front PTO winch and Standard rear PTO gear box. 

Stev 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:07pm
Stev
I think I will be running the Ramsey up front with witch ever PTO fits the best. I have both ramsey pto's as well as the two Keonig.
Thanks
Jay

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 1:08pm
Jay,

Which winch are you mounting?

Are you planning on using one section Pto drive shaft or a two section Pto drive shaft?

I have been using the two section with a pillow block on the long section mount to the engine oil pan bolts.  I have also been mounting a MB style side exhaust.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 6:52am
Old-time
Is there a catalog that I may be able to look a selection of U joints? Website?
Thanks
Jay

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:55pm
Joints will depend on the PTO shafts, the shaft  yokes and the shaft idlers that you may plan to use. you plan to use.
The primary consideration is that the specific PTO output shaft and also the specific diameter and index for the winch input shaft. 
Yoke indexing implies use of shaft key sizes etc.
After the winch and PTO are in position you need to determine the exact shaft routing and possible use of idler or else a split shaft joint.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 5:15am
I'm getting ready to install a PTO winch on the front of my 2A. What are you guys using of U joints? Not sure yet on what set up I will use, I have a few winches and PTO's to chose from.
Thanks
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply