Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Camping for Dummies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Camping for Dummies?
    Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:28am
I am planning to attend Jpet's 2nd Rubicon run in a little over a month from now.  It will involve some nights of camping on the trail.  Rather than clutter the Rubicon thread, I thought it might be best to start a new one,  since this is a somewhat universal topic.
I have done some camping,  MANY years ago when my sons were in Boy Scouts,  so have some camping equipment,   but this is different, I think.    My experience is either a jamboree,  where everything you need is brought in a big trailer,   or the opposite,  overland hiking,  carrying everything in your backpack. . .   Jeep camping seems in-between.

What is your list of things to pack?   in the back of a '2A . . Smile

I should mention that I hate packing,  planning on what to bring,  and meal planning.    So I am hoping to make it easier by following the advice of someone more experienced. Embarrassed

edit:  I have an idea of what tools/spare-parts etc.   I am looking for help on shelter/clothes/food/coolers/toilet-paper,  etc.

Edited by JeepFever - 12 June 2018 at 4:39am
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:06am
The Rubicon in June should be pretty nice, cool at night and warm during the day.  I would take a fall/spring sleeping bag, something rated to 30 degrees or maybe slightly less.  Sleeping bag ratings mean that if the air temp drops to 30 degrees and you are in a 30 degree bag you might not freeze to death.  Maybe.  Def get a nice sleeping pad.  Not sure about where you will be camping, but Rubicon Springs was hard and rocky.  Rain shouldn't be a huge issue
, but I still like a backpacking style 2 man tent for solo adventures.  A bathtub floor and rain fly that extends out over the material for the bath tub floor are big deals if it does rain.  Jeep camping means you can bring a bit more stuff, so a cooler is really nice and some "real" food is a nice touch, but I still generally have a freeze dried meal or two.  Camp chair, little Jet style backpacking stove are nice.  One of those light, stackable/packable cook kits are also really handy.

If you don't like to plan or cook, my usual canoe/Jeep camping weekend consists of instant oatmeal packets and some hot chocolate (not a coffee drinker).  Heat a bunch of water in your cook kit, but pour the oatmeal and then the chocolate in a plastic cup and use the remaining water to clean the cup.     Lunch is trailmix/jerky apple.  Dinner is freeze dried meal - heat the water like before and pour into foil packaging (and leave it set in there a good while!) and no clean up - pack out the empty foil, toss it in the campfire and fish it out the next morning if bears or coons are big threat.  

Should be the trip of a life time.  Hope you get to make the Colorado detour, too.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:41am
Bob pretty much nailed it. I more or less lived The wholee trip on oatmeal, pop tarts, freeze dried meals, beef jerky and trail mix. Others got a bit more exotic, but that worked for me.
Last year I froze a bunch of water bottles and filled an entire cooler with them. Then I would leave one out over night and put it in a smaller lunch type cooler along with a few frozen ones. The ones in the lunch cooler would thaw throughout the day and I would have cold water all day. Jeff brought a 5 gallon jug of water last year and carried in his passenger footwell. I think I will do that this year as well. Can’t have too much water.
Since we are going between the two “jamborees” the jamboree folks will have put porta potties in various places along the trail. Last year I did not have to break out my toilet in a briefcase at all. That having been said, the porta potties are well used after a week of 100s of jeep jamboree people using them and you have to have a high stench tolerance to use them. Bring some toilet paper.
I brought a small”2 man” tent last year, but the weather was so nice that I just slept out. I will have my tent again this year, but if it’s nice I won’t bother setting it up. I did bring an air mattress cuz there are rocks everywhere.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:20am
My camping experience is only from setting up drop camps for archery bear hunting on Ontario. Not sure what it is like where you will be but without insect protection in Canada your a dead man. Trying to sleep and be attacked by little buzzing blood suckers is no fun.
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:34am
I'm looking forward to the trip!!! Not sure what the best route is for food. I know that the freeze dried meals are pretty good these days. I like Stans frozen water bottle idea.
I'm sure it will be fun even if we starve!!
Jay

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:47am
Thanks guys . . this gives me a great starting point, especially on food/water ideas.    I need to starting digging out the old camping equipment to see what I still have.  Over the years I have loaned things out,  and not sure what I got back.  I should have decent sleeping bag, pad, 3-man tent (there will be 2 of us in my Jeep), cooler,  small cook stove, cooking set, various camp chairs.

Bob,  you mentioned June,  this will be late-July/early-Aug, will it still be cool at night?

edit:
A couple messages came in while I was thinking about mine.   I was wondering about bug-spray also,  is that necessary?

And yes,  it should be fun even if we starve,  or eat nothing but granola bars and water. 

Edited by JeepFever - 13 June 2018 at 4:51am
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:11am
Put a bottle of Deet in your Jeep. It does not take up any room and will be happy if you need it. The time we are up there should be great for weather but it could be 100 also. I'm only 1.5 hours wast of the trail head.
Jay

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:09am
Tent, sleeping bag and mat, cooler, stove and grill. Steaks, stew, beans or chili. Eggs and ham or bacon., bread. Wash tub to clean up.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 1:17pm
I'd bring one of those 12V coolers and plug it in to my lighter/power outlet in the Jeep during the day while driving. There's just enough room for a power outlet right at the bottom of the dash in front of the shifter pointed down so you can't see it and so it won't get water in it. Also great for cell phone charging and GPS.
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 1:22pm
Because I could not get comfortable sleeping on the ground, I switched to hammock camping 15 years ago. While there's a bit of a learning curve, It's the most comfortable sleep around. Equipment can add up dollar wise. If interested in trying it, you'll need the following items: Hammock with bug netting, Suspension system, Tarp, Under quilt or pad, & Sleeping bag or top quilt/blanket.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:44pm
last year I just slept outside on my collapsible litter and sleeping bag. I had a pup tent with me in case it rained. We did not have a mosquito problem but we were prepared. I have used a hammock suspension system before. I may do that this year to save on space.

Also, If you plan on making a fire, don't forget to get a fire permit. You can do it for free online. California law requires it:

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:09pm
Is a fire permit also required for camp stoves?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Is a fire permit also required for camp stoves?
Yeppers. They are free and you can get one quickly online.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:30pm
I've spent ample time doing every conceivable type of camping that exists  excepting  for motor home.
Everything from long term Wilderness base camping, Jeep camping, Canoe camping, Backpacking,  Pre 1840 Rendezvous,on down to zero gear Survival camps.

Jeep camping is relatively luxurious... 

Figure 1 gallon of water per day for eating and  cooking.
Everything else is just fluff. Ha Ha Ha !

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I'd bring one of those 12V coolers and plug it in to my lighter/power outlet in the Jeep during the day while driving....

I've had several 12V coolers.  Some are terrible and some are pretty good, but none are perfect.  I do use them and really like them.  Just keep their limitations in mind.

They will suck a battery dead if left very long (it takes at least a few hours).  Having them plugged in while driving (as suggested) works great, and you can even leave them plugged in while stopped for an hour or so.  But long stops or overnight you need to shut them off.  However they don't seem to be great coolers when they aren't plugged in.  They're a lot better than nothing, but once unplugged they won't keep stuff as cold as long as most cheap coolers.  So they might not be the best option for keeping meat or eggs or something else that will spoil.

Some make quite a bit of noise, which can be annoying while driving, especially in a small vehicle, or when 'wheeling (I like to just hear nature, the vehicle and my companions when I'm 'wheeling).

And some cool better than others, while others really don't (I had one cheap one that barely changed the temp of a can of pop).

There are also 12V refrigerators.  They are supposed to be a lot better, but at (usually) over $700 they better be!  I have no experience with them.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:27am
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Steak and eggs,  that sounds beyond my capability.  LOL  

I did some quick research on hammocks,  that does sound interesting,  but I am not sure I have time to try something new like that.   I decided to order a camping cot.  Actually, I ordered a couple of them, we can use them at our cabin when we have extra guests. (and get rid of those darn air mattresses, that always seem to leak)

I was wondering about the amount of water,  is that 1 gallon per day,  per person?   (there will be 2 in my Jeep)  I have a filter,  if it still works.  Is there "outdoor" water along the trail?   I know at least one lake Smile,  I saw some swimming last year.

Can Ravioli be pre-heated in engine compartment,  to save stove fuel?

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:44pm
There is water on the trail if you have a filter. Last year, I lived on pop tarts and engine heated Ravioli. You can even cook ravioli on the fire. .... right Wade
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:55pm
 Yes, apparently you have to crack the lid, other wise your campmates wear your dinner. They should put warnings on those cans. Lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>