Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crankshaft pulley issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JandB654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crankshaft pulley issue
    Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:50am
Gents, I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my L 134 engine and installed a new sheet metal type crankshaft pulley that rubbed on the dust shield portion of the timing cover, having been a tight fit going on it was destroyed when it was removed. I choose to replace it with a cast iron type,
(gpw), the problem is the length of the bore on the new pulley is 1/4" longer than the original, that  causes the nut to tighten up with nearly a 1/4" of the nut thread hanging off the end of the crankshaft end, I could chuck it in my lathe and cut down the face the nut seats on allowing the nut to cover the crankshaft end.  I wanted to see if anyone has had this issue before. Any help would be very appreciated. Jim W
second king of obsolete
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:14am
I'm with you.  I've replaced all my pulleys with cast versions.  Tried new stamped styles first, but not a single one ran true.  I have not had this issue with my cast pulleys.  Who did you purchase it from?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:51am
I trimmed my cast pulley sourced from Ron Fitzpatrick. Just as you say. I also thinned it down a little bit on the backside.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JandB654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JandB654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:40pm

Gents, Thanks for the response, Mine came from a vender in Grants Pass Oregon as I recall, I will be turning it down on my lathe to get the nut to cover the crankshaft end, I just could not understand why it does not fit better as the pulley is supposed to be a direct copy of a GPW part and I was always of the understanding that all Willys  L134 cranks are the same as far as this is concerned? Well life will go on,

Mark W. did cuts on the backside effect your belt alignment or was this the reason for those cuts?

Thanks to all, Jim W
second king of obsolete
 Post Reply Post Reply