Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID wheel
    Posted: 01 July 2018 at 8:12pm
I am hoping to call upon your collective knowledge with help ID'ing these wheels.  they came with my jeep but do not look like the stock rims found here on the forum.  Also, a bonus question, I have read here that radial tires require a Safety Hump or Bead Ridge, I cant seem to find what this is? Does this have one?

Thanks!!

usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 8:22pm
Cj5? It looks like the centers have been ground out...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:25am
IME, CJ-5 rims fit the CJ-2A with zero modification. That makes me think that these might be Ford, Dodge, or International Harvester (IH) rims. Most, if not all of these had a smaller center hole than Willys did. The bolt pattern was the same 5X5.5, or, 5 studs on a 5.5" diameter circle.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:30am
If the centers have been opened up, it's definitely not from a Jeep.  Most likely a Ford truck or something like that.  Same bolt pattern, but it didn't originally have a large enough hole.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 2:24am
Good eye! I did not see the center modification before!
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 8:58pm
IH is the same as Jeep,  it's probably an old ford rim as stated with the hole opened up.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 9:12pm
It looks like the Ford wheels on my 3B.

uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:04am
Ford 4WD wheels would not need to be cut out. Ford 2WD pickup wheels might. There were more vehicles that used the 5-on 5-1/2" bolt pattern than you might think. That could be a '49-51 Mercury wheel, or a Lincoln, or a Chrysler Imperial. Most Ford pickup wheels have a distinctive triangle-shape to the bump between the bolt holes that this wheel does not have.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:30am
Does it look reversed to anybody else or is it just the picture?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:32am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Does it look reversed to anybody else or is it just the picture?

I thought that too..........    BW

Heep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Ford 4WD wheels would not need to be cut out. Ford 2WD pickup wheels might. There were more vehicles that used the 5-on 5-1/2" bolt pattern than you might think. That could be a '49-51 Mercury wheel, or a Lincoln, or a Chrysler Imperial. Most Ford pickup wheels have a distinctive triangle-shape to the bump between the bolt holes that this wheel does not have.  BW

Ford 4c4 wheels do not fit Jeep. The hole is to small. I have a lot of ford trucks. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Heep Heep wrote:

Ford 4c4 wheels do not fit Jeep. The hole is to small. I have a lot of ford trucks. 

I will agree that most 4X4 Ford rims have a smaller center hole than the CJs did. However, I owned a 1959 Ford 1/2 ton 4X4 that had rims that would fit my 1948 2A. No mods were done & they were the original 1959 wheels. My grandpa bought this truck new in '59. My cousin has it now.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Heep Heep wrote:

Embarrassed I knew some did and some don't, and thought that 4X4 or not was the deciding factor.   BW

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 4:41am
I lived in an apartment when I bought Ol' Unreliable and one day I went out to toss some trash and lying there next to the dumpster was a wheel that looked like it would fit the 2A, so I tried it on.  It fit and it now holds my spare tire.  I believe it was relatively new and came from a Ford truck, but I'm not sure.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply