Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do on your jeep today? - July 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do on your jeep today? - July 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 12:51am
New carb air filter. It still needs to be painted but put it on just to check the fit.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:58pm
The CJ5 was running poorly yesterday evening.  So this AM I took the top of the carb and found that the low speed jet was plugged.  Sure runs smooth now.  Headed out now in the CJ5 to pick up my oldest grand daughter and take her to lunch.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 5:39am
I bought a can of Dupli-color Black/Gray trunk splatter paint I am going to paint the inside of the Windshield frame with. Its very non reflective.

I unpacked my fancy adjustable Wiper arms that will allow me to use NAPA or other brand Wiper Blades. They came from Speedway motors and appear to be very high quality (and for $30 each should be!)

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 2:03pm
Couple of small things popped up while out for a short drive.  Clutch pedal was moving around a bit and the fan shroud was a little loose.  Tightened up and back in business.
1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 4:45pm
The stuff I ordered came yesterday, so this morning I got the parking lights working! First time since I got the Jeep September, 2010! I don't have the wire terminals yet, but just touched the wire to the bulbs mounted in the new sockets. Then, of course, it started raining so I put him back in the barn. Not complaining about the rain, though. Its another good day!Big smile
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 1:06am
Today in the pouring rain, I brought my '48 to a charity jeep show. They raise funds to custom make hospital gowns for kids with cancer and other serious conditions. There were about 40+ modern jeeps there, and my little CJ2A. Not surprisingly, I won the oldest jeep award. But I was very surprised to win Best of Show also. I got soaked to the bone, but it was for a good cause. They raised over $800. A good day all in all.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:06am
Your photo looks like a family reunion with grandpa in the middle.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:50am
Great pic, showing the Jeep evolution!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:52am
Decided to get the frame ready for the tub since its almost done.  installed the exhaust system and made and installed the rear wire harness sans cable clamps which I'll finish tomorrow.  Will also solder in my wires for my rear turn signals. Rear harness also includes the wires for the trailer socket. Left plenty of loom and wire up front to clamp to the tub and for the dash.

LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 7:27pm
Finally able to work on the Goat today. She got new plugs and plug wires, new shocks, and flushed the radiator with white vinegar and distilled water....drove it for 30 minutes and checked the radiator.....just full of little white beads floating on top. At first I though oil and a cracked head/bad head gasket, think its just mineral deposits getting eaten by the vinegar.
Tomorrow it gets a new thermostat.....

Edited by Cinnabear - 23 July 2018 at 11:44pm
1947 CJ-2A Willys
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Cinnabear Cinnabear wrote:

Finally able to work on the Goat today. She got new plugs and plug wires, new shocks, and flushed the radiator with white vinegar and distilled water....drove it for 30 minutes and checked the radiator.....just full of little white beads floating on top. At first I though oil and a cracked head/bad head gasket, think its just mineral deposits getting eaten by the vinegar.

Nice to see you getting to work! After all it's not the Jeep's fault! I bet she turns out to be a great ride once you're done. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 12:33am
Pulled the oil bath and ran a breather line out the bottom. Ordering the transmission and transfer case on Monday. Also ordered new steel fuel line....I
Tell get there before we get snow
1947 CJ-2A Willys
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 2:15am
I think Ol Un. right, you have the right (stick to it) attitude to turn it into the jeep you wanted burn some circles around the PO. Check on the block towards the back about even with the dist. for 2- 1/4 studs for mounting the coil, it looks like it's mounted to the oil fill tube which will move around might want to look for a better place to mount the coil Good luck! Joe W   I mean nofender is right.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 1:48pm
Had to do some metal sewing on the cob salad...had a hard time getting the transmission assembly out of its resting place....I didn't burn anything down either...waiting to get a quote from the folks at Novak for a clutch assembly....these are the before/during pics...does not look this sad anymore...
I am the squirrel....
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 2:54pm
My '48 was restored (and I use the term very loosely) by a previous owner about 20 years ago, or so the story goes.  New floors were welded in for the driver and passenger's feet.  That was well done.  The rear deck had been painted, and is still original and in decent shape.  But I found that the floor of the toolbox had never been touched.  It is very rusty and has a few pinholes and a little of the hat channel exposed.  

At this point I'm not going to remove the toolbox to replace its floor.  But I am scraping off all the loose rust.  Then I'm going to coat it with rust converter to stabilize it and prevent further deterioration.  Then paint the tool box floor with Rustoleum Royal Blue, which is a pretty close match.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 6:22pm
Set the front axle up on the rack and removed the cover. To my surprise nice clean shiny oil poured out! Maybe the front axle will be easier to rebuild than the back was....
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 6:52pm

Your oil bath is M38 w/precleanerThumbs Up looks like M38 radiator tooThumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 7:05pm

Looks like you have two air cleaners! The one on top of the carb needs to go, there should be a horn that connects the carb to the pipe that goes to the oil bath air cleaner.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>