Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam T3-C Serial #24011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 2:10am
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

So my same question as before, now after 5,000 miles, how tge floor holding up?

Floor is fine. I have a piece of plywood over it to protect it- is working well. There are some wear spots in the paint but otherwise good. No sags. One problem- the floor is not welded continuously to the side walls and there are small gaps in spots. I noticed after hauling mulch that dust works down in there and gets stuck. I need to wash or vacuum that out. Overall, really glad I replaced the floor.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 2:46am

Could you use a automotive seam filler to seal those gaps? You might even be able to find a color to match.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:41am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Could you use a automotive seam filler to seal those gaps? You might even be able to find a color to match.
Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about that too. It would have to be pretty flexible but also durable to resist abrasion. I don't have experience with those products to know which would work well.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:17pm

Butyl caulk is a flexible tough rubber sealant that is used for exterior applications like rain gutter, vinyl siding to brick etc. You can get it at Lowes, Home depot, most hardware stores.  For a large color selection it would be better to go to a place that sells mostly roofing and siding.   I believe it is the same stuff that is used on vehicles.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:54pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 4:39pm

Exploring the Superior National Forest this week:

Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 9:35pm
Nice! Looks good behind your camper rig.
1946 CJ2A #75375
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 1:27am
Cool photo, that forest is beautiful. I like the jerry-can holders on the back of your camper.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

Nice! Looks good behind your camper rig.

Thanks for the comment. The trailer is a great camping companion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Cool photo, that forest is beautiful. I like the jerry-can holders on the back of your camper.

The Tacoma has a pretty limited range so it helps to carry extra fuel, especially when we are in areas with no services. Thanks for the comment.
MarkCHI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCHI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2020 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by takesiteasy takesiteasy wrote:

Meanwhile, we did a test fit on the new floor- fits perfect. I got the floor from Midwest Military. They did a one-off for me. Same floor as the MBT without the drain and the flange is bent down at the tailgate end. It fits perfectly. As a result, John at MW said they will offer the T3-C floors as a new product.

do you have any contact details for the company that made the floor?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2020 at 11:04pm
[/QUOTE]

do you have any contact details for the company that made the floor?
[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to the part:

I highly recommend the company- high quality and good service.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 3:12am
I added an ammo can to the draw bars of the trailer to store tie down straps, chocks and what not. I fabricated some concealed clamps to attach the can to the draw bars so no alteration to the trailer.

Camping was diminished this summer due to Covid 19 but we did take a couple of trips. Here is our camp in the U.P of Michigan on Lake Superior. The trailer has become a valued part of our camping set-up.

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 3:20am
Very cool rig and love the restoration and evolution of your Bantam TC3. Thanks for sharing.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2020 at 1:32am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Very cool rig and love the restoration and evolution of your Bantam TC3. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your comments. How's that M100 project coming along?
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2022 at 10:05pm
After your comments on the floor from Midwest military, I have decided to go with his.  Right now freight is a killer, but we are making a trip to see daughter in Milwaukee so I’m taking the opportunity to do a few detours on the way to pick several items to avoid freight and thus pay for trip, one of which is the floor from John.  I’m hoping to start the process this summer.  In the mean time, we will be taking it camping in June so gotta get the tailgate attached with the hinges I got, bearings gone thru, etc.  then later this summer cut out the old floor and move forward.

I see you ended up going flat od green. How is it holding up?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2022 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

After your comments on the floor from Midwest military, I have decided to go with his.  Right now freight is a killer, but we are making a trip to see daughter in Milwaukee so I’m taking the opportunity to do a few detours on the way to pick several items to avoid freight and thus pay for trip, one of which is the floor from John.  I’m hoping to start the process this summer.  In the mean time, we will be taking it camping in June so gotta get the tailgate attached with the hinges I got, bearings gone thru, etc.  then later this summer cut out the old floor and move forward.

I see you ended up going flat od green. How is it holding up?  

Very happy with the paint. It hides defects really well. I bought the 2-part urethane paint from Midwest Military and several rattle cans of matching paint for touch-ups as needed. That is working out well.

I think you will be happy with the new floor from Midwest Military. Something to consider- it would probably be easier to deal with the floor replacement with the tailgate off. You might consider attaching it temporarily in the meantime.

I bought new bearings, races and seals and a hub socket from John also.

Good luck with your project.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2022 at 11:15pm
I’ve been kicking around that exact thing about just tack welding the the hinges to the trailer for this trip.  
Tubby definitely needs some hiding his past as the PO created a bottom flip open like a dump truck and I found quite a few small rocks in it and some bowing in the sides.  So I’m guessing he had a pretty hard life before me.  I’m just not sure on the color yet. Originally I was going to go Presidential Red to match my CJ5 but then the shinny will really accentuate the bumps and bruises.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>