Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa’s Jeep And Friends Hot Wheeling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:39am
The heat is nature balancing out those cool rainy days in the Black Hills last month.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

African Jeeps had a larger radiator, If you look at the SAS jeeps they had a coolant tank on the front

All MB/GPWs had a 4-row radiator and the condensing tank on the grille helped keep the engine cool, but what kept the carb from overheating and losing the gas there?  That seems to be a major problem, particularly at altitude.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:18am
Dave’s CJ2A was having fuel delivery problems so he took his 2 door JK Sport. I thought the JKUs were big, but that thing is HUGE. Wink

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:41am
I've been saying that about the JK since 2007.  They're too darn BIG!  I didn't know they were THAT big, though!  Wacko
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:50am
We decided that today would be more of a sight seeing day so we did the Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners Trail. This trail is a little bit rougher than a dirt road, but not much. The scenery is spectacular.

The Cucken Corners Sung us a bit faded and people have decorated it with rubber chickens and such. Kinda silly, but also kind of fun too.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:57am
Here’s some more poser shots from Hurrah Pass/Chicken Ciorners.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:54am
Stan,

It was great jeeping with you, Mike, and Clay over the past few days.  I will post some photos on this thread over the next couple of days.  The triple digit heat can have impact on these jeeps and the drivers too!  Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider were awesome and I also enjoyed running Fins and Things as well as the scenic run on Chicken Corners.  I have to say I enjoy wheeling in the CJ2A over the JK. 

I worked on the CJ2A last night and it's all back together and running well.  I'm really glad I was able to get through the full Poison Spider trail before the fuel issues became so severe.  Turns out the primary issue was a faulty piece of fuel line from the tank hard line to the the fuel pump - (Crown part number 802040). This small piece of hose was too restrictive and had small pieces of rubber debris inside the hose fitting.  We first thought it was the pump, but I reworked the short hose - now 1/4" of clear flow - purchased a new fuel pump gasket, reinstalled the pump and I am getting 4 PSI from the output side of the pump.  Everything is back together and it seems to be running great.

Poison Spider also gave the '46 a real shake down.  In fact, I found that the PO did not use lock washers on the engine mounts so I lost one of my 1/2"-20 nuts.  I picked up some new ones yesterday and fixed that issue too.  I have a few other items to go over, but I'm glad it's back up and running. 

Lastly, Sydney had a great time riding along in Grampa's Jeep!

More to follow.

Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:11pm

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:27pm

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 1:28pm
The world is your sandbox! Thanks for the pics, I'm more than happy to enjoy the ride without the heat.
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 1:38pm
Dave, your photos are great. I especially like the one of Grampa’s Jeep just hanging on the wall of the Escalator.

I forgot to say that the first HUGE jk picture was from Dave as well.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 1:52pm
Kate,

We beat the heat a bit by getting out early in the morning - about 7:30am.  That gave us a start at about 75+ degrees.  By noon it was about 95 and by 1-2pm we were in triple digits with 107 being the top on the first day.  It was still 106 at 7pm. 

Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:21pm
Here are a couple of quick videos.

Edited by dluber - 11 July 2018 at 2:07am
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:23pm
way to go , Dave!  Making it look easy. 👍🏻
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:37am
Originally posted by dluber dluber wrote:

Kate,

We beat the heat a bit by getting out early in the morning - about 7:30am.  That gave us a start at about 75+ degrees.  By noon it was about 95 and by 1-2pm we were in triple digits with 107 being the top on the first day.  It was still 106 at 7pm. 

Dave
…. and no one held a gun to your head to make you do this?! Well, okay, it did involve a flat fender. But really …..the desert in July ...lol!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 2:31am
Kate,

We've visited Moab in the months of March and October the the temps are definitely milder.  The driving factor in getting out here one more time is that we need to move back to Maryland soon and I'm not sure when we will have the chance to drive these unique trails.  It's hot, but still fun!

Take care,
Dave
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 2:58am
You all think I’m crazy anyway, so this is more proof. 
Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 3:05am
No one thinks you're crazy Stan, you're just a little... unrestrained.  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>