Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Security

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Security
    Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:13pm
Hello All - When parked in public areas, how much do you worry that someone is going to steal something out of or off your rig? I like to place trust in my fellow humans and know there are bad people everywhere, I'm just wondering how common it is for a tool bag, hi-jack, toe rope, etc. to walk away? Do you guys lock things up? (I hope to be driving to work someday soon where it will be parked out of my eye site and in public view.)
Thanks - Geoff
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:20pm
I have padlocks on the release pins for my 1919a4 mounted as well as the jerry can.  No harm in being safe rather than sorry.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

I have padlocks on the release pins for my 1919a4 mounted as well as the jerry can.  No harm in being safe rather than sorry.

Yeah, it would just be so easy for someone with bad intentions.... Thanks!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:40pm
I go with the "locks keep the honest people honest" mentality.  In today's world of 18v power tools nothing is safe.

That said, there is also such a thing as making it TOO easy (aka a tempting crime of opportunity and I simply don't leave stuff out if I can help it, certainly not anything of serious value

(Coming from someone that has had things stolen out of his garage and out of his truck in his driveway...)

People suck.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:19am
I don't leave things like a hi-lift or tow rope in my Bronco normally, only putting them in when I'm going out on the trails.  Otherwise I try not to have things be too obvious, but I don't lock anything.

When I'm on vacation and it's loaded with recovery gear, tools, an electric cooler and packs with lunch and alternate clothingI pretty much go by the Luke Brian song ("I believe people are good").  So far it hasn't bitten me on vacation (although I have had a couple pairs of sunglasses, a flashlight and the removable faceplate for my radio taken from my driveway).

Well, there is one thing I lock, because it's valuable and easy to lock.  When i have my receiver-mount winch on I use a locking hitch pin to keep it from growing legs.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:12am
Lock things up.  Stow gear that is attractive and put a had full of spent 45 ACP shell casings on the drivers seat and floor.  A empty CCW holster on the dash is always a nice touch.  Make it look like you might have just stepped away.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:27am
This is half the reason I will be building an insulated aluminum hard top for CHUG. When I was a kid driving CHUG on dates and to work I had a foot locker in the back that I put anything of value in when we got out of it.

Pioneer tools etc will be securerly locked to my tire swing.

I also have a number of anti theft methods that will be part of Chugs electrical and Mechanical systems. They will have to drag it off to get it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:09am
I always wondered, why didn't we get a glove box and storage boxes like the military Jeeps?

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

I always wondered, why didn't we get a glove box and storage boxes like the military Jeeps?

Micah

Have you looked under the passengers seat? LOL  (it was originally marketed as a small tractor/UTV... my 2A has no more storage than my JD ) 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:33pm
I like the idea of a secure foot locker type storage container (and the empty holster LOL (LOL)).... I was brainstorming last night ideas for locking down a couple ammo boxes for my tools and spare parts.. The tool box under the seat is a good hiding spot, if you have floors Confused I guess for my small personal items, like the vintage fire extinguisher, I will leave at home.   
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:51pm
I worry a little about it, but try not to carry anything in sight that's easily grabbed in the cj. Things I have in the yj , a large ammo box for a center console that locks and a bicycle lock for my tool kit. I just carry a old scissor Jack for DD so if they really want it I guess I'll have to pay $4 for another lol.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:05pm
ggordon49,

Under the hood security storage box idea - There is a spot in  the engine compartment that with a little work could probably take a 60mm Mortar Can (like a M2 50cal can but taller).  Along the passenger side behind the battery and in-front of the oil bath air cleaner across from the distributor.  It might require relocating the voltage regular some.  The Hotchkiss MB (M201) 24 volt jeeps had their second battery located there against the passenger fender mounted to the frame rail in that spot.

It is pretty easy to install a hasp and lock to those style boxes so it can even be locked closed.

If I have a moment this weekend I will do a mock up of this and post a picture.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

ggordon49,

Under the hood security storage box idea - There is a spot in  the engine compartment that with a little work could probably take a 60mm Mortar Can (like a M2 50cal can but taller).  Along the passenger side behind the battery and in-front of the oil bath air cleaner across from the distributor.  It might require relocating the voltage regular some.  The Hotchkiss MB (M201) 24 volt jeeps had their second battery located there against the passenger fender mounted to the frame rail in that spot.

It is pretty easy to install a hasp and lock to those style boxes so it can even be locked closed.

If I have a moment this weekend I will do a mock up of this and post a picture.

I like this idea!!! I did not think about under the hood! Ermm Now you got me thinking LOL
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:03pm
I added an eyebolt in the floor, just in front of the tool box lid and pad lock the lid closed.

Also bolted a Jerry Can in the rear and modified it to have a lockable lid. Usually used as a cooler.
Dave
44 Willys MB
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Hello All - When parked in public areas, how much do you worry that someone is going to steal something out of or off your rig? I like to place trust in my fellow humans and know there are bad people everywhere, I'm just wondering how common it is for a tool bag, hi-jack, toe rope, etc. to walk away? Do you guys lock things up? (I hope to be driving to work someday soon where it will be parked out of my eye site and in public view.)
Thanks - Geoff

I no longer keep much of anything in my 2A after some fantastic humans needed my stuff I had in it more then me. It was also parked right in front of my apartment at the time.    
(Live in a house now and I park the Willys behind it, next to my bedroom window. It is also out of public view)

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:42pm
Unfortunately, from the stories here, my stuff will ABSOLUTELY be locked... Sucks!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 1:57am
When I lived in an apartment, someone used to come around frequently and take stuff from my YJ.  This is an '89, that never had locks on the doors, so I keep nothing of value in it.  I have lost a couple small containers of Tums and a pad of paper and a cheap pen, and stuff like that.  Of course, there was the time another YJ owner stole my new replacement top...  I knew which Jeep it was on but I couldn't prove it was mine so the police wouldn't do anything.......  Angry

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 13 July 2018 at 1:59am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 2:53am
Life is too short to worry about scum that would steal from your JEEP. In the universe this is a quite insignificant problem.

Ralph

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>