Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Security

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:29am
Yeah but I was barely employed then and the $280 the top cost me took a long time to acquire.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 5:31am
[/QUOTE]
Have you looked under the passengers seat? LOL  (it was originally marketed as a small tractor/UTV... my 2A has no more storage than my JD ) 
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its a toolbox! Big smile

I drive my Jeep five times a week to the gym a few miles down the road. With a wallet and cell phone, it would be nice to just stash them in a locked glove box. Instead, I have to bring a backpack and put it in a locker. Stashing it in the toolbox would be a pain with the seatbelts that I keep latch to prevent them from flopping around. I think I saw someone on the list grafted a glove box in.

I was just curious why they didn't since they had all the tooling to do it. Would it have cost that much more?

Micah 

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

With a wallet and cell phone, it would be nice to just stash them in a locked glove box.

I was just curious why they didn't since they had all the tooling to do it. Would it have cost that much more?

In the 40s, the ranchers and farmers that bought jeeps didn't go ranching and farming with their wallets and cellphones! 

How many modern day tractors to you see with lockable glove boxes? Just sayin'...
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 6:29am
Of course not, neither did the GI's but they got a glove box.

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

With a wallet and cell phone, it would be nice to just stash them in a locked glove box.

In the 40s, the ranchers and farmers that bought jeeps didn't go ranching and farming with their wallets and cellphones! 

How many modern day tractors to you see with lockable glove boxes? Just sayin'...

My point exactly... and I would offer that the glovebox on MB/GPWs was a vestige.  They were conceived and built so fast they just did what you do.  Having found them completely useless in a pure utility vehicle they weren't continued when they moved on to the 2A and were changing tooling anyway.

You got a toolbox because tools.  You cant take modern day needs and project them backwards because you choose to drive a "tractor" to go get ice cream
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 1:52pm
The notion that Willys jeeps were all sold to farmers as imitation tractors cracks me up. They were first marketed that way but within a year it was obvious that they were being used for everything from the family car to fire trucks. Why wouldn't the guy who used his Willys CJ-2A as a business vehicle for the dozens of different kinds of businesses that used them have a use for a glove box?

The put the glove box back in in the CJ-5 model

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

Life is too short to worry about scum that would steal from your JEEP. In the universe this is a quite insignificant problem.

Ralph

You are wright, very well said... And if you believe in Karma, those people will get theirs...
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

The notion that Willys jeeps were all sold to farmers as imitation tractors cracks me up. They were first marketed that way but within a year it was obvious that they were being used for everything from the family car to fire trucks. Why wouldn't the guy who used his Willys CJ-2A as a business vehicle for the dozens of different kinds of businesses that used them have a use for a glove box?

The put the glove box back in in the CJ-5 model

The question was why didn't they have a glovebox...and utility is only my opinion.  If you've underestimated your market and branch out, I can't see paying for retooling if you're trying to keep price down if you're at all unsure of the new markets.  Obviously as they morphed back to more everyday and sales were there the glove box would come back.

Again, an opinion.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:02pm
Were the dash panels between the MB and the 2A essentially the same except for the glovebox? I'm curious, I have not spent any time around one. If so, they really would have tooled up NOT to have one. Granted, keeping it would cost a little more.
How far do you take utility? I'm sure original owners had issues with things getting stolen too.

Not looking to fire up a big argument here. I like how this forum does not get nasty. I just could not understand why they omitted it.

Micah

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:05pm
Bolt an ammo box to the floor, put a padlock on it and you have a locked box for your wallet and cell phone.

Pretty simple.

Now, gotta keep up with keys....life is so complicated.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:17pm
I put this in out of an '89 Wrangler I think. It fits just right in between the frame rails of the seats. Lots of storage. The cup aren't exactly flat, but oh well.

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Why wouldn't the guy who used his Willys CJ-2A as a business vehicle for the dozens of different kinds of businesses that used them have a use for a glove box?

Of course he would! But it takes some time for consumer driven demands to filter back to the companies that design and manufacture the vehicles. In this case it took until the CJ5 before this was re-introduced.

One has to remember that these vehicles left the factory with no indicators, no seat belts, and only one tail light! That's the extent to which they were cutting back on "unnecessary extras"! When designers were saving money by only putting one tail light on, who was going to argue that they needed to keep the glovebox? 

Edit to add: The PO on mine had an arrangement to lock the passenger seat down. Apart from stopping the seat possibly jumping around when no-one is sitting in it on a bumpy road, it doubles as a tool box lock! Can't get into the toolbox if the seat is locked down. Not original, but I like it. It's one of the few mods i'm keeping on mine...

Edited by JeepSaffer - 13 July 2018 at 3:30pm
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:49pm

I'm sure original owners had issues with things getting stolen too.

Growing up in suburban eastern MA I don't recall ever locking our front door.  We'd leave and go visit for hours with nothing more than a latched screen door "securing" the house.  Now, some 40 years later I live in a little more rural eastern MA an everything has a lock, and a deadbolt, chains and cables...and floodlights... and my house is alarmed.  I've had ticket items walk from my garage, and lost about 15-$1800 worth of archery equipment out of my truck in my driveway right up next to the house the ONE night I forgot to lock it Angry

When the PD came to my house to take a report on my archery stuff I was the sixth call they had made that morning for autos in driveways... the drug problem has drastically increased the number of peckerheads, and you just can't let your guard down.

"Jeep security" is an oxymoron

Edited by mbullism - 13 July 2018 at 3:51pm
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 6:17pm
Having archery equipment stolen caused me to remember the only time I have had something taken. Broke out the back window of my van and only stole my new compound bow and my BIBLE - Figure that one out!!
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 11:13pm
When we turned a 48 CJ2A into a clone MB we ordered a Glove box door and fastened it to the dash. People would always try to open it. Just told them if they knew anything about Jeeps, they would know how to open it.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by oldracer oldracer wrote:

Having archery equipment stolen caused me to remember the only time I have had something taken. Broke out the back window of my van and only stole my new compound bow and my BIBLE - Figure that one out!!

Stole your Bible? They musta been late for church and forgot to bring their own..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by dandjeep dandjeep wrote:

I put this in out of an '89 Wrangler I think. It fits just right in between the frame rails of the seats. Lots of storage. The cup aren't exactly flat, but oh well.

I have this same console in one of my Jeeps,  now I know what it came from!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:39am

Under the hood ammo can storage.  30 Cal with lock and a WW2 M2 50 Cal can.
Still would need to be mounted.  Modern style 50 Cal can might work better due to how its lid opens.

Edited by Stev - 14 July 2018 at 1:41am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>