Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help wanted for safety chain hook question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help wanted for safety chain hook question
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by PackRat PackRat wrote:

The one on the left in your photo.

I should have known- that's the one I'd like to match also. Well, let's see if anything turns up.
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 6:26pm
The one on the left in your photo.
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 1:31am
Originally posted by PackRat PackRat wrote:

I'm kind of in the same boat, my trailer had some chain mounting wedges still bolted on, but one was torched through and the had no chain on it at all.

I have one original chain/wedge/hook. If you are going with some aftermarket chains, I would be interested in the HOOK you have as I would then only need some chain and the one good wedge on the trailer to make up the pair I need.

Let me know by text if you will part with just that hook.

Chuck 415-793-4262

I'm not ready to part with the hooks yet- hoping one or the other will turn up. Which hook are you interested in?
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 6:51pm
I'm kind of in the same boat, my trailer had some chain mounting wedges still bolted on, but one was torched through and the had no chain on it at all.

I have one original chain/wedge/hook. If you are going with some aftermarket chains, I would be interested in the HOOK you have as I would then only need some chain and the one good wedge on the trailer to make up the pair I need.

Let me know by text if you will part with just that hook.

Chuck 415-793-4262
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:26pm
Art, thanks for the suggestion. I will post a wanted ad. I saw a set here that was listed for $100. That is too rich for me. I have been lurking on the G503 site and see I am not alone in looking for chains. I'm not in a hurry so we will see what comes up.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:24pm
The chains and hooks pop up so I'd place an ad in the Bantam Wanted area and frequent eBay and the G503.com 1/4 ton trailer area too.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:07am
Rus, thanks for your comment. I appreciate the link to Art's post. I agree, the hook looks bent compared to the other linked image. I will look for replacement chains. Would be nice to have the correct ones but I haven't seen that older style in my rummaging around the internet. Anyone out there have some?

I fixed the link- thanks for noticing the error.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:23am
takesiteasy,
That first http:// isn't needed in your link.

Art posted here what the chains look like: 

Your left image looks more correct than the right.  However, it is bent and is it possibly stressed?

You may want to locate a pair of replacement chains/hooks (military vendors have them) and have a matching set.  I am guessing that it would be difficult to find a seller with just one chain like you want.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:14am
My Bantam T3-C (#24011) has safety chain hooks that do not match. They were both connected to original chains that I cut off before I knew what I had because they were too short (sorry I did that now). I posted a pic below. I am wondering if the trailer possibly came this way (seems doubtful) and if not, which of the hooks is a correct original. I am guessing the trailer was made in 1946 based on the serial number. What are the chances I can find a matching hook for the correct one?

Edit: here is a link to my original trailer post with photos: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/new-to-me-trailer_topic42731.html

Edited by takesiteasy - 09 Oct. 2018 at 3:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply