Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New tires question/advice wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tires question/advice wanted
    Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:21pm
My trailer needs new tires. I have the original wheels (3). I know the T3-C trailers came with Firestone street tires (that is what was on the trailer when I got it also).

We expect to use the trailer a fair amount off-road for carrying camping stuff. I am considering getting the military-style NDT tires as I expect they are a bit more robust/durable. But I don't really know if that is an issue. I will probably be getting the tires from Coker.

Discount Tire is telling me they can get the tires and install them. They are also saying they won't need to use tubes. I could use some advice on that question.

What are the opinions about which way to go with tires? Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 8:59pm
I don’t and haven’t owned one of these trailers, so you should probably ignore what I say.
If I had a trailer I would try to match the tires and wheels to my Jeep so I only needed one spare.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:20pm
Bias ply TUBE tires do not have a butyl layer called an inner liner that substitutes for a tube.
Your tires May lose 10 PSI per month instead of 1-2 due to permeation.

There are 2 reasons to run the tubes:

1) Air retention
2) If your center disc is riveted in instead of welded. (potential leaks around rivets)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 12:43am
Match your tires to your Jeep so you can swap the spares around easily.
If not matching to the Jeep then I suggest a 6 ply tire intended for trailering like these : 
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 1:06am
Thanks everyone for the advice. Sadly, I don't have a jeep to match tires. It is a good idea but my truck tires aren't suitable for the trailer (unless I really discard keeping the trailer somewhat original).

Those STA tires look like a good solution. I am going to look into those.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:36am
Originally posted by takesiteasy takesiteasy wrote:

Sadly, I don't have a jeep to match tires.

I think you need to fix that!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:49am
[/QUOTE]
I think you need to fix that!  LOL
[/QUOTE]

Ha, One project at a time...

I have definitely caught the jeep bug wandering around this forum. I think trailers are a gateway drug to jeeps, haha.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 6:47pm
Get the 6.50-16LT super traxions, then you can buy them for the CJ when you get it. It's only a matter of time!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:24am
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

It's only a matter of time!

That's right!  Trailers are a gateway drug!  Might as well jump right in, the water's fine!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ANIMALDOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANIMALDOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 6:45pm
I am needing new tires for a cj2a. Looking for a radial mud snow tire for the original 16 inch rims. I need to know what size, brand and where to get them.
God has the only opinion that counts. LD
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 3:09pm
Tire choice is really dependent on what you are going to use the Jeep for and how much money you want to spend. I have the Super Traxion's and they are great if you want a tire that will last forever, look like an old school snow tire, not break the bank, and get a little better traction in the snow than the NDTs. If you are serious about off roading, these are not a good choice unless you really enjoy the challenge. If you poke around this site there are several posts regarding tires.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:50pm
Running around amongst the trees without a spare seems risky; can't leave it on the side of the road as you drop off the flat for a plug/patch at the local service station.

There are several projects where a spare mount is added to the trailer (either up front on the A frame against the front panel or underneath in back). 

Using tubes gives you the ability to patch the tire where otherwise might not be possible.  Plus you may be able to do this on the trail (search bead breaking) with simple tools (like a bike tire-only bigger).
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 10:51pm
I'm not sure, but I was of the understanding that those trailers used the same wheel as the jeep and therefore you could use the jeep spare if you had to.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by binthere binthere wrote:

I'm not sure, but I was of the understanding that those trailers used the same wheel as the jeep and therefore you could use the jeep spare if you had to.

Yes, rims and bolt pattern are the same as the Willys.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 8:29pm
Double check your CJ has 16" rims/tires and then match the rims to the trailer. If you have NDTs on the jeep then use them on the trailer as they are a robust off-road tire for the trailer as well.

Then you can use the jeep spare for the trailer. While the jeeps have very sturdy, reinforced spare mounts and plenty of hat channels to keep the weight of the tire and the flexing of the jeep side/rear skin, the trailers just were not designed to have that kind of weight and flexing which "tears" the metal.

You will need to spread the mounting attachment points and use some steel reinforcement for the thin metal of the tub or you will destroy the tub if not properly supporting the tire and tire mount. This is why you are lucky if you are towing with a jeep that can share the spare mounted on it.

Some have used under-frame mountings but they reduce clearance and unbalance the trailer when trying to hitch/unhitch it. Some use a mount attached to the drawbars which are sufficiently strong to prevent damage.
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
 Post Reply Post Reply