Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounting a CJ3A eng in a CJ2A Frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting a CJ3A eng in a CJ2A Frame
    Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:01pm
I rebuilt my engine using a 3A front Plate but my frame is a 2A.   The driver's side motor mount is front facing on the 3A plate and seems to be a bit wider than the original CJ2A.

Has anybody figured this out yet????  

DocHill
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:18pm
Numerous times LOL

There do exist motor mount adapters... no idea how rare, but the next step is either fab or 2a plate

Edited by mbullism - 15 July 2018 at 8:23pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
DocHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:48pm
I Have a full shop.  I was just hoping someone had done this.  The two options at this time are adding a extension to the motor mount on the frame or adding a tab to the back of the front plate making it have a mounting tab on both the front and the back of the front plate.  I guess I could cut the front facing tab off if all seems well with the back facing tab.

Thanks

Doc
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:03pm
If you do an "advanced search" here you likely can track down pics of the adapters or what others have done in the past...

That said, 2a plates are not hard to track down, and pretty easy to swap out.

(and welcome to the2apage Smile )

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 1:54am
Welcome to the page, DocHill!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:02am
Why not just swap th front plate for the correct one!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 4:26am
This is the official adapter.  It was only designed to install a CJ2A, MB, GPW engine in a 3A style frame. It does not work when installing a 3A engine on a 2A frame.  The spacing is wrong.

I'm with the others that suggested you get the correct front engine plate.  I think you'll be happier in the long run.  

Edited by athawk11 - 16 July 2018 at 4:28am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:40pm
Definitely put on the correct front plate and save yourself a lot of trouble.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:48pm
DocHill,

Welcome to the CJ2A page!  I would recommend as others have  -Change to correct front plate.  Get it done.  It is not that big of a job and the jeep will be "correct".

Do you need a 2A front plate or did you just put the wrong one on?  I am sure you can get one from Harry Sheets used in Crawfordsville, Indiana or from someone on the CJ2A page.

Again, welcome!

Edited by Stev - 16 July 2018 at 8:50pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Dancoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:03am
This is a picture of my 3A engine mounting plate (original) put on my 2A frame. This engine comes from one of the first 3A of 1949 (serial 10547) 
Dancoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:13am
Second picture. Maybe this can help.
DocHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:10pm
That is exactly what I made yesterday afternoon.  I will probably try to find a 2A front plate for sometime in the future, but taking off a fiber cam gear is iffy at best.  I took my 2A apart in 1968 and sold the engine when Uncle Sugar told me he had made career plans for me for the next couple years.  I really want to get to drive it in the next few years.   Thanks for the response.

DocHill
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 9:07pm
I can't say for sure that your plan won't work because I have never tried it.  I do know that the 3A motor mounting plate attached to the frame is different than the plate mounted to the 2A frame, both in angle and of course, position.  This can be demonstrated by the photo shown in this link below.  The bottom right corner is a 3A plate.  It reaches out much further than the others pictured.  If you leave the modified 3A plate on and install the engine on a 2A frame, I think the engine is going to sit crooked.  Again, I might be wrong. I've never tried it.

Edited by athawk11 - 19 July 2018 at 9:09pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 9:27pm
Also, I'm not convinced that the photos posted by Dancoul are showing a 3A plate that was modified to fit a 2A frame.  It appears to be a 2A plate with an extra flange mounted on the front side.  Perhaps the prior owner tried to do the reverse of what you're  doing, but found out it wasn't going to work. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 2:55am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Also, I'm not convinced that the photos posted by Dancoul are showing a 3A plate that was modified to fit a 2A frame.  It appears to be a 2A plate with an extra flange mounted on the front side.  Perhaps the prior owner tried to do the reverse of what you're  doing, but found out it wasn't going to work. 

X2, I agree with Tim. I have spent some time looking at 2A/3A engine mounts, simply welding an ear to the rear of a 3A front plate may work, but the actual 3A front plate is higher than an actual 2A plate due to the curvature of the frame ahead of where a 2A frame mount is positioned. Were it me I would set the engine in the frame and level the engine right to left, and fab up the bracket and tack it in place by welding, then double check and permanently weld into place.

Lee

BTW, I may have a spare 2A front plate if you would like to do it correctly!

Edited by Lee (MN) - 20 July 2018 at 2:57am
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
DocHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 12:44pm
That is my plan.  I have the tab cut but have not yet welded it in.  I am waiting on a couple parts for the front shackles and am using my engine lift to hold the frame in the air so I can't set the engine/transmission in the frame for a fitting.  When I do that I will make sure it is straight and level.  
I am also still trying to locate aan original 2A front plate.

Thanks

DocHill
 Post Reply Post Reply