Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting The 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting The 2A
    Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:38pm
My 2a needs paint. 
1) it have very little rust
2) It runs and works well (I need some brake work)
3) PO filled the center of the hood with body filler and its cracking/ falling off.
4) it is currently red, the interior and frame are black

Can I do a really good paint job and leave the body on the frame? Doing it in Battleship Grey. 
Can I paint the frame from below? Black
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 4:23pm
I’m no paint expert but I would say it depends on your definition of a really good paint job. Yes you can do a good job, but like everything else, the more work you put into it, the better the end result will be. 
I would at least take the hood and fenders off, gauges out, seats and fuel tank out. The more you take apart the better job you will be able to do. But if you disassemble what you can and take care in preparing the body, you can do a fine job. 
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 5:31pm
I can pull the fenders, grill and hood no problem.

The body and dash board have lots of extra holes (drilled not rust). What is the best way to fill them?
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 5:47pm
MIG welder more or less easy for smaller holes depending on your skill. For larger holes find a washer close in size to the hole, weld it in and fill the smaller center hole.

DonH
1946CJ2A
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 5:56am
Have you done this type of work before? do you have small children, Understanding wife?
A lot of time on your hands?
Painting a Jeep takes a a lot of prep time. Prep work can  often seem endless. Good paint usually cost more than $100.00 a gallon plus prep materials. I have seen many Jeeps completely dissembled and the owner overwhelmed and sells cheap.
Just things to consider.
Their are reasons why a good body shop charges more than 5K to paint a car these days.
gearwrencher
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:59pm
Ok lots of work sanding and such. I pull the grill, hood, fender and gauges. Has anyone bed lined their interior? I can get it in light grey to match the exterior
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by jeepcj559 jeepcj559 wrote:

... Has anyone bed lined their interior? I can get it in light grey to match the exterior

please don't LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 12:32am
For the love of all things jeep, don't bedliner the whole interior OR exterior.Shocked
Don't worry, I know that's not what you said you were considering. Big smile

Everyone has their opinions, but I've personally passed on a lot of decent jeeps because some fool went overboard with the bedliner.

Consider that bedliner is intended to be a permanent coating. A very permanent coating. If you coat the whole interior of your jeep, very few body shops will be willing to repair it after a collision.

It's also a very good moisture barrier. While it does a fantastic job of keeping water out, it will also keep it in. Any rust or moisture that's under the paint when you shoot the bedliner will remain there and keep rusting.

I would recommend that you find a reputable collision or restoration shop and go in and talk to them about it. They may be able to recommend more suitable products to address any durability concerns you have.

All that said, I am considering using bedliner as well. I'm thinking about using it in the front seat floor wells.

I want to coat the underside of the fenders and wheelhouses as well, but I'm going to talk to a couple of people I know in the industry before I decide on how I'm going to do it. Bedliner might be the best option, but there are also other types of undercoatings designed for this specific purpose.

One of the tricks used by a couple of overlanding and expedition type Youtube channels is using clear vehicle sign vinyl over the paint. The vinyl takes most of the abuse from driving track that have a lot of close-in brush. If the damage gets too bad or they want to sell off the vehicle, they just remove the vinyl and the damage mostly goes with it.Thumbs Up

Hope this helps,
Les

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 10:14pm

Ok lots of work sanding and such. I pull the grill, hood, fender and gauges. Has anyone bed lined their interior? I can get it in light grey to match the exterior

When I bought my 2A it already had the bed lining in it. It appears to be a professional job, very well done and no rust coming through anywhere yet. I know the bed lining is not to some folks taste but I don't think I'll throw my jeep away because of it. As to whether I would have another one bed lined, probably not, because I could paint it myself. The bed lining is extremely durable and maintenance free, but as mentioned before it is also very permanent. The bed lining sure has worked well in a lot of pickups.
As for painting I would not attempt it if you don't have some experience and good equipment. I would think about doing all of the preparation then pay a professional with the proper equipment to actually spray it. In some areas there are paint and body guys that do extra work after hours. You might get out at a reasonable price this way and still have all of the fun doing the preparation.              
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 11:17pm
Make sure you know what you're in for, you could easily spend $200.00 + on quality sandpaper alone. 
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Make sure you know what you're in for, you could easily spend $200.00 + on quality sandpaper alone. 

I do not have much choose. There is very little rust but the existing paint is pretty bad ( flacking everywhere). For some reason the PO did not like the seam down the middle of the hood and filled it with body putty and it cracked and falling off. I have another hood but it does not say WILLYS on the side so I do not want to use that. The interior floors are all in good shape but have no paint at all on them.

Perhaps I should use PR15 on the interior instead of bed liner? I want something that will hold up under foot.

I'm also going to paint as much of the frame / under carriage as I can without removing the body. 
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 6:36pm
On many of our older Jeeps the seam in the hood will leak - dropping water onto the head where it pools in the spark plug detents. It then rusts and looks like sh!t. It can also travel around the spark plug if they are not well sealed. I expect that your PO sealed the seam in order to prevent this happening.

I used bedliner in my 2A to protect the front floors - a very vulnerable area.

Edited by Mike S - 20 July 2018 at 6:38pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 4:07am
Google "50 dollar paint job" and see what you think.  Prep is the key; actual application of the paint needn't be spray.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 5:44am
I plan on doing the front floor and toe boards with Bed liner as well. But My rear floor and the tool box is JET Black and will have 3/8" x 1 3/8" White Oak strips on it in place of the original rolled ridges. Held in place with 10-32 button head Stainless Steel bolts every 5" recessed into the top of the Strips.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 11:57pm
I'm going to remove the body, fenders grill and hood and have them blasted by a local company that does a lot of classic cars. They also do powder coating. Has any one done the jeep in powder coating?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 1:35am

.....Has any one done the jeep in powder coating?

Ok, I'll be the first......Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!¡

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 2:14am
I'll be the second -----

I haven't, and I wouldn't. I'm not at all impressed with powder coat.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2018 at 2:34am
Please keep in mind that you asked for opinions, I will give you mine & hope it helps.

IME, Powder coating looks good for a short while. Then the coat either peels or gets chipped & the corrosion begins! It can get very bad very fast.

I recommend talking to someone who has had that shop do some powder coating for them around two years ago. Look at the finished product closely. I would also make sure that the rig looked at was not a "Garage Queen" that has never been a daily driver. It may look fine, again IME, it will not.

As I have said in the past, it is your Jeep, do with it as you want.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>