Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help with hub id and knuckle puddin’ questi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with hub id and knuckle puddin’ questi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with hub id and knuckle puddin’ questi
    Posted: 21 July 2018 at 8:13pm
Working on a 62 Willys Wagon and I’m wondering what lockout hubs I have. Also, the axles are both Spicer. Is knuckle puddin’ necessary since they are sealed or do I need the lubrication for the external seals?
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 2:17am
I'll not guess on the hubs - more knowledgeable folks can identify them.

The later CJ's came stock with Cardan Cross (Spicer) joints and that manual, SM 1046, identified SAE 140 for the knuckles.  The No. 0/1 grease or CV lube was designed for a CV joint, i.e. Rzeppa or Bendix (I suppose that's what the "pudding" was supposed to replicate).  I can only guess the wagon/truck manuals  indicated the same SAE 140 for their Spicer axles. 

Regardless of lube you use, the pivot bearings need to be lubricated.  My own preference is to pack those bearings like a wheel bearing.  Hopefully, that will be good.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 2:37am
Stev replied earlier that he thought the hubs were Sears or inexpensive Warn hubs. I have everything apart again and I’ll look for any identifying clues. They look like Warn but don’t say so anywhere I can see.

Rus, the wagon had been sitting in a garage for the last 25 years or so. When I got it running and took it out for its maiden run everything sounded good. When I got home I noticed oil dripping out of the hub, this after repacking the wheel bearings and draining and refilling the front dif. When I pulled the hub 80-90 gear oil started running out. I am waiting on parts to replace the inner seals but there was no grease in the knuckle chamber when I opened them up. Right now I’m thinking corn head grease is the way to go, but I’m open to other opinions.

Rick
RWILLYS (Space R)
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 7:31pm
They certainly look like WARN locking hubs.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 7:36pm
I've watched videos on cornhead grease.  Fascinating stuff.  If I still had my original Bendix axles, I'd probably be using that stuff.

I believe you'll need a thinner lube (140wt) to penetrate into the smaller passages to get to the roller pins.  I've read multiple times that 90wt could leak but the thicker 140 doesn't.  I will find out for myself on that.

Again, the pivot bearings are there.  They must have something to keep them lubricated.  In the old days, the constantly spinning axle did the job.  With modern lockout hubs, the upper bearing can sit dry for some time.  That's why I personally pack them like wheel bearings in an attempt to ensure they have lube. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 8:29pm
I have Corn Head Grease in mine. Probably not a bad idea to engage 4wd every once in a while to move some of it around again. Unlike a wheel bearing, the knuckle is not rotating at high speed all the time. If anything it is probably just making half rotations but mostly none at all when you drive straight ahead.
When I cleaned mine out, someone had used wheel bearing grease. It had hardened up like clay at the bottom of the hub around the bearing. Don't know how long it had been in there but it sure wasn't lubricating anything anymore. Corn Head is classified as a Number 0 grease like the book calls for in the winter. I like how it liquifies while in use but does not flow out of the joint later on.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 11:44pm
I have been using Lucas hub oil in my Ross steering box, which I believe is 140wt. In conjunction with that I use two seals on the sector shaft and install a zirk between the shaft bushings, which I then pump a couple shots of grease in. No leaks yet in several years. If I use the 140 wt. in the steering knuckles I will take extra care to polish the external exposed portion of the knuckles and put a light coat of grease on the seals. Makes sense that oil will more easily lubricate the upper king pin bearing, but that would be true no matter what axle was used. Now my head is starting to hurt thinking about options. 140 wt, corn head grease, custom puddin’ mixture? I feel lots of discussion coming up.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 12:19am
When I did the knuckles on my 3B I cleaned out the grease somebody pumped in there, replaced the bearings and seals. I got it back together and gave them about 15 pumps of cornhead and topped off with some 80-90-140. Ran with the hubs locked in for a few miles. No leaks and no failed bearings.
uncamonkey
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

I have been using Lucas hub oil in my Ross steering box, which I believe is 140wt. ... Now my head is starting to hurt thinking about options. 140 wt, corn head grease, custom puddin’ mixture? I feel lots of discussion coming up.

Knuckle lube has certainly been discussed (argued?) enough on this forum. like you, I opted for Lucas Hub Oil. Certainly not the only correct answer. Lots of people read the CJ2A-CJ3A manuals and stick with the standard GL-1 mineral oil. I liked the idea of something a bit thicker, but fluid enough to lube all the bearings.

When I change over to the two hole knuckle and flipped tie rods, I'll get a close look at the inside of the knuckles to see how well my choice worked out.

In my Ross steering box I have been using some stuff I got from JeepRoger.

Edited by Mike S - 23 July 2018 at 1:26am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:22pm
Not a Jeep, but I've been using cotton picker spindle grease 00 in my Farmall Cub steering box.  $5 a quart at Tractor Supply.  From others use of it in various types of gearboxes, I believe it would be of good use in old Jeeps as well.  If you go to find it at TSC, look on the tractor parts shelves.  They don't put it in with the lubricants for some reason and I played heck trying to find the stuff. 

The red plastic centers on those hubs look like the ones that were on my old Bronco II years ago.   

Edited by Willy M - 23 July 2018 at 4:28pm

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:53pm
Rick R.

Hubs - My guess is cheap version of the Warn or Sears - I have that exact pair on my 1946 trail jeep and love them.  I have had them into the rocks - ugly - and they keep on working.  I turn them with my Leatherman.  If they don't want to turn dont force them - back up and let the from end get unwound / bound.  I have a Powerlok in the Dana 25 so things can sometimes get loaded up - I have had no issues with the hubs.  They do have some plastic parts in them so make sure you line everything up when you are installing them.

Sorry I know everyone covered this. - I have been using Corn Head Lube the steering knuckles - the lube does two things - lubes the kingpin bearings and the second is to lube you axle joints.  If you have sealed Spicer joint you still need the Corn Head Lube for the Kingpin bearings.  

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:48pm
You really can't go wrong with corn head grease in the knuckles, and it's pretty cheap and easy to find.

Also the spicer joints in these knuckles typically don't have the inner oil seal in place. this allows the lubricant to get to the needle bearings. You can see how the rubber seals are missing in this picture.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply