Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico vacuum wiper rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trico vacuum wiper rebuild
    Posted: 23 July 2018 at 2:55am
I've got a proper vacuum wiper for my 48 2A and I'd like to get it functioning again.

Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for these anymore?

I've got mine apart and it looks like a good cleaning and some fresh seals and I could be good to go.

Let me know if any of you have a source.

Thanks!

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:23am
I think if you do some searching you'll find a pattern to hand cut the gasket, but I believe any kits have become rare... seems I recall the wiperman stopped doing them
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:33am
A quick search shows some finding kits on ebay fairly recently, but still a find, imo
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 10:32am
When I did mine, I too found NOS kits on EBay. They were pretty cheap - maybe $20 a piece. What was interesting though is that they shipped from Greece. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

When I did mine, I too found NOS kits on EBay. They were pretty cheap - maybe $20 a piece. What was interesting though is that they shipped from Greece. 

I always try to search before asking and I came across your post mentioning that you found a NOS kit.

I've been watching ebay without much luck....

Hopefully something will pop up. I can always buy a 6v electric kit from Walck's, that's a pretty cost effective option.

I just love the idea of a vacuum motor. There is something special about that copper tube running up the side of the window, and the way the bellows works.

I love it.

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 2:04pm
A good working vacuum motor is a thing of beauty. But Rain-X is your friend Big smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:11pm
Try Wiperman.com. He rebuilds, but doesn't sell parts to my knowledge.
BOULDER 48 2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I always try to search before asking and I came across your post mentioning that you found a NOS kit.

I've been watching ebay without much luck....

Hopefully something will pop up. I can always buy a 6v electric kit from Walck's, that's a pretty cost effective option.

I just love the idea of a vacuum motor. There is something special about that copper tube running up the side of the window, and the way the bellows works.

I love it.

Steve

I'll take a look. I may have a few new spare parts. I saved the old gaskets as there were not too bad. maybe i can piece a "kit" together for you. 

What parts do you think you need the most? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:28pm

I'll take a look. I may have a few new spare parts. I saved the old gaskets as there were not too bad. maybe i can piece a "kit" together for you. 

I am pretty sure I need the main cover gaskets, the gasket for the on-off switch and a bellows or bellows gasket. (I think that's what you call the main metal flap that arches back and forth with suction?)

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I am pretty sure I need the main cover gaskets, the gasket for the on-off switch and a bellows or bellows gasket. (I think that's what you call the main metal flap that arches back and forth with suction?)

Steve

10-4

I know i have the main metal flapper.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

wiperman.com will redirect to rebuildingtricowipers.com

Here is a list of what we cover...

"Willys  1947-64 Wagon, Truck. Sorry I do not do the CJ motors." (underline mine)

Edited by mbullism - 23 July 2018 at 4:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

I did check here actually. His site is now https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/

He no longer works on CJ motors, only the wagons and trucks.... 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:16pm
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:18pm
I'm glad to see this thread be cause i recently took my Trico motor apart, cleaned it, put new lube in. It worked a little before I did that but not at all now. I think i need to repeat but this time lube with brake fluid.  someone , sorry i dont remember who, suggested that.
Rick Estes
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:32pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by eestes1 eestes1 wrote:

...I think i need to repeat but this time lube with brake fluid.  someone , sorry i dont remember who, suggested that.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 7:36pm
Yes! Thats where i saw it. Thanks.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 7:40pm
Also thanks for the previous link on dismantling the motor!
Great help, as always!
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>