Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico vacuum wiper rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 1:19am
The original bracket was the "spacer" and looking at you pictures, I can't tell if you have the bracket installed or not. I try ed to take a couple pictures, but they're not that great...

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 1:30am
Yes the bracket is installed. While I did not try to flip it over, it doesnt look like there is enough clearance for the top frame tube. I may take it off tomorrow and check for sure.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 10:02pm
Well, much to my chagrin - it does fit 
Embarrassed I just had to rearrange the vacuum line. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 2:57am
Looks great! Much better right side up...Big smile
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2018 at 7:05pm
Well I ordered some kits without fully reading the title on ebay...  Didn't realize the listing was for a pair, so now I have 4 kits for my 2 motors even though I was only planning on using one.  Doh!  Oh well, I'll have a few back ups that I'll probably be selling.  Looking forward to this little project though.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 3:35pm
Jeepsafer your How To guide is helping preserve history! Thanks for such level of details. 
I did repair mine. It just works. Although I still hear some air leaks while driving. Not sure where this air comes from. Sometimes the wiper stops on one side and will not come back unless helped with the lever. The other side always return easily. 
Any idea what can be wrong? I will try to post a video. 

Thanks!
Chris 
Chris

1943 Ford GPW (located in Argentina)
1944 Willys MB (located in Argentina)
1948 Willys CJ2A (located in Mexico)
1956 Willys CJ3B (located in Mexico)
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 8:09pm
Hey Chris, 

Glad to hear some of my posts are still helping people years later!

You don't say if you have just completed a rebuild on this motor? Or is it untouched?

Remember, these things are driven by vacuum, and air from the outside is pulled into the motor in tiny amounts as the paddle moves back and forth. To hear some air noise is normal, as long as it is not the gaskets themselves that are leaking. 

A paddle that goes in one direction only could be caused by many things. Are you sure the reverse rocker bracket is not hanging up? Is the tiny spring on the bracket in good shape? Maybe one of the valves (or guides) are worn and the other side not as much? If new guides were pressed in, did you make sure the slots in the guides line up with the ports in the motor body?

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 8:15pm
It could also be possible that a gasket is damaged in just the right place that it does not allow a vacuum to form on one side of the paddle, but the other side is good, hence it would move in one direction only...
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 2:49am
Hi Jeepsaffer! I didn’t notice you are from South Africa. I visited your country some years ago and it is on my top 1! I look forward to visiting again. Smile

I did rebuild the motor following your How to guide. I did chance both valves but not the guides as they fit well without too much play. Here is a video of what is happening. 

Spring is also new. I suspect about the rocker arm. I will replace it for another one with less wear where it pivots. It seems too much effort is required when it travels to the left. I push slightly and it comes back. 
When it is switch off you can see who good the paddle comes back to the off position. 

Thanks for your help
Chris 

Chris

Dale Campbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 2:45pm
Where can kits be purchased?
1941 WLA
1942 WLA
1942 GPW Script
1943 GPW
1943 MBT
1943 Conv Dump Trailer
1944 Conv T6
1945 MB
1945 CJ2A
1947 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
(2) BT3C
1958 Hotch M201
1962 DJ3A
1978 C
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 2:59pm
Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345