Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 1947 CJ2A a DIY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 1:23am
I'm staying out of this. I started bumping tires when I was 14. I do know a lot about tires as they were back then. Things have changed...
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I'm staying out of this. I started bumping tires when I was 14. I do know a lot about tires as they were back then. Things have changed...

Why not share your knowledge?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 2:29am
Having never heard of these tires I just did a Google search and there is a BUNCH of info, videos from forums, etc on Treadwrights.....trouble balancing whatever.

Here is the FAQ page from their website....other stuff on YouTube as well.
                https://www.treadwright.com/pages/faq

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 2:44am
I've heard good and bad about Treadwright.  Good: price, traction, looks, quality.  Bad: quality (balance, separation).  With "quality" being in both the good and bad columns obviously people have different experiences.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 12:28pm
as to the clutch - did you use a clutch alignment tool when bolting the clutch in place? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

I've heard good and bad about Treadwright.  Good: price, traction, looks, quality.  Bad: quality (balance, separation).  With "quality" being in both the good and bad columns obviously people have different experiences.

Let's hope everything holds together long enough to get it running down the roadway...and not cause me ill handling either...the look is spot on for a 70-year-old Jeep and that is half the battle right there in my book...

And yes nofender...I use the alignment tool that came with the kit...I did have to sand the ID on the pilot bushing to get it to slip over the input shaft on the transmission tho...

Never been a good mechanic but more of a parts replacer as my dad use to call me...I can do "Righty tighty / Lefty Loosey" really good...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2018 at 12:47am
Got the transmission and the transfer case back from the mechanic who separated everything so I could install them...

2 days ago we did this....Sitting on the cart waiting to go back in....

So the transmission is back in the Jeep as is the crossmember....hoping this weekend to get the transfer case back in/on it....the book Jeep calls for 150 ft./lbs of torque on the rearmost nut on the transfer case....any hints on how this is accomplished sitting in and under the Jeep??? I have the torque wrench that can do it...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 02 Sep. 2018 at 12:50am
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2018 at 7:25pm
Spent the last 2 hours wrestling with the transfer case...the drain plug kept falling out of...the 4th time the transfer case fell off the jack one of the ears broke off on it....still kept trying to get it to go on...we get within .25" and it comes to a halt....if I clock it just a little bit clockwise it set right down on the back of the transmission...gonna have to get the mechanic to stop over and maybe with his expert eyes and my grunting we can get it to bolt together again...

another 2 hours laying on my back sweating like a stuff pig...time I won't ever get back again....hmmm

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2018 at 10:19pm
had to take it back out again...taking it back to the mechanic...something wont line up...

Transmission too....ordered a new transfer case gasket set because it look like I will have to swap out the casting as I broke an ear off the the one that came with it...

thought I had a handle on it....I am sadly mistaken for sure....

Thank GOD for Walcks 4wd...they have everything I need to get this cob salad back into one piece.....

Anybody have any tips to installing a transmission and a transfer case into a 1947 Willy Jeep???

I insight would be a wonderful thing...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2018 at 1:02am
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

...insight would be a wonderful thing...

Two words: transmission jack.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 11:24pm
Got the tab welded back onto the transfer case....sent the transmission  and transfer case back the mechanic to marry the two of them back together...hoping to try and put it back into the Jeep maybe towards the end of the week...gotta seal / gasket kit from Carl Walck too...

so then I went back out to the garage and did some poking on the right rear of the tub...found some wood from 1947...found some fiberglass holding some stuff together first...
yea ole pile of 1990's fiberglass matting...

I had some 18 gauge from the last project laying around....a little cuttin and fittin...then some wire feed welding and we now have this where the wood and fiberglass once resided....

another view shown here...

the rear panel needs some help next.....

that is next on the docket while we wait for the transmission/transfer assembly to be dropped back off at the compound...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 1:01am
Man, you are having a hell of a time with this thing! If you were closer, I'd come out and give you and hand. 

Be not dismayed though. My Jeep literally fought me every step of the way. I didn't even document all the BS I went through to get her all together. 

It'll be worth it. Stay with it.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Man, you are having a hell of a time with this thing! If you were closer, I'd come out and give you and hand. 

Be not dismayed though. My Jeep literally fought me every step of the way. I didn't even document all the BS I went through to get her all together. 

It'll be worth it. Stay with it.

Hi Nofender

These old vehicles they always fight me....but I do love the history of them and looks of them too are spot on...

Hoping to get it up and running and then someone else can take over for me from then on....I don't keep any of my projects once I get them running...my ADHD kicks in and we are off to find something else to tinker with... 

Thanks for the insight....would love to find a Willys guy around here to show me the ropes again...

so...next stop rear panel cuttin & fittin & weldin...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 12:45am
Had a couple hours of free time...raining like crazy outside...so a little bit more skin grafts for the rear panel....

this is the after shot....after lots of cuttin & fittin and weldin too....gotta love rainy days for sure...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 11 Sep. 2018 at 1:19am
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 11:52pm
Someone said on here two words for what I need to put the transmission/transfer case in the Willys Jeep...."Transmission Jack" ......So I got the assembly back from the garage...

Spent about 1 1/2 hours under and inside and all around the Willys...I thought this would be easy....I did find out even tho we had a tranny jack...I still had the assembly fall on my arm...

So I am going to try and get the mechanic friend to give me a hand...cus...working alone on a 1947 Willys Jeep is not safe at all...not sure how the folks in the past did it but I am not having any luck with it...so have been using a cherry picker from the top side...a tranny jack from the bottom and also a floor jack to move the motor up and down to line stuff up...no luck...hmmmm

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 20 Sep. 2018 at 11:55pm
I am the squirrel....
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 12:11am
Hint make two guide bolts...  6" long bellhousing bolts cut the heads off and cut a slot for a screwdriver to remove them. 
Remove transmision top cover install cardboard cover, wiring mainshaft to housing to keep it from slipping back and causing more work for ya!

Install them in lower two bellhousing bolt holes, install trans onto bolts to begin process slide trans up the bolts while supporting the back. guides the input shaft into the clutch disc with a bit of wiggling and turning the main shaft it all lines up and then install upper bolts, remove lower bolts.

Edited by jeeper50 - 21 Sep. 2018 at 12:31am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 12:24am
Thats a cool old school transmission jack!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Hint make two guide bolts...  6" long bellhousing bolts cut the heads off and cut a slot for a screwdriver to remove them. 
Remove transmision top cover install cardboard cover, wiring mainshaft to housing to keep it from slipping back and causing more work for ya!

Install them in lower two bellhousing bolt holes, install trans onto bolts to begin process slide trans up the bolts while supporting the back. guides the input shaft into the clutch disc with a bit of wiggling and turning the main shaft it all lines up and then install upper bolts, remove lower bolts.

My arm only bled a little bit...was not sore at all either...so thankful for that...the transmission/transfer case is up about 12" in the air...I strapped it to the tranny jack too so it won't fall off again...

I redid a 1953 Chevy truck 2 years ago and I had to do the same thing to get the head one after I wrecked the first shiny copper head gasket trying to hoist it up on the block alone...I will make up those parts today...I hired the mechanic and his son for next week to help with this fiasco...I have had this thing since June and I never heard it run yet...I wanted to drive it before snow flies...I think I have more fun finding them...arranging to ship and then selling them than anything else...I always get a little giddy when they first show up and then when they leave...I do love the aftermarket availability of parts..same with the old Chevy I had...

If I do another Willys Jeep...first thing...yank the tub off...this has been going on way longer than it should...

thanks for the tip...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 21 Sep. 2018 at 12:48pm
I am the squirrel....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>