Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trico S-Series vacuum wiper motor rebuild guide
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trico S-Series vacuum wiper motor rebuild guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trico S-Series vacuum wiper motor rebuild guide
    Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:46am
When I originally wanted to rebuild my wiper motor, I could not find much info out there. Most advice seemed to be to send the motor away for a rebuild. This wasn't an option for me in my current location. I read up as much as I could, bought a rebuild kit, and was able to get my motor back to good working condition. 

I decided to write this rebuild guide to further the body of knowledge on this forum, and help others that might want to give this a go, but who might not know where to start or what to do. I found it fun and completely do-able. Big smile

Here is the guide rev 1, edited to include comments from forum members who have replied with comments after they used it to rebuild their own motors:

Let me know if you have success in returning your old motor to life!

If you need new gaskets, the pattern for you to cut your own is a separate post on the "How to" forum.

Good luck!

Mike

Edited for clarity and to remove Rev0 and upload Rev1 of the guide

Edited by JeepSaffer - 03 Aug. 2018 at 9:17am
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:44pm
Thanks Mike, this will be a great help to many jeepers!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:49pm
Excellent! Thank you for putting this together.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 4:37am
Mike -
  Where can one purchase the repair kits?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 4:53am
I purchased  a set of  n.o.s. Trico kits off eBay a couple of months ago . I believe they shipped from Turkey.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 7:12am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Mike -
  Where can one purchase the repair kits?

Hey Mike,

Yes, I also found mine on eBay. They are hard to find but they are out there.

Good luck!

Mike
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 12:29am
Hi Mike!
Great job putting those instructions together. I followed them step by step to repair a SF616-1. I did the test by sucking through the vacuum connection and it works. Final touch would be to paint it black. 

I did find easier to install the rocker reverse bracket (step 6) before putting the halves together (step 3) since in the SF616 the axle that holds the helper is longer than in the SF634-1. 

I found on a junkyard one SF634-1 that needs repair too but it seems the main body is cracked. Have you tried repairing the body?

Thanks for your work and useful guide. 
Regards
Chris. 

Edited by ChrisP - 22 Mar. 2020 at 12:32am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2020 at 1:10pm
Hey Chris,

I'm glad the guide was helpful, even for a different wiper model, and well done on a successful rebuild!

I have no doubt that some steps in the guide could be completed in a different order, and this may in fact be required for different wiper models. Thanks for posting your experience with the SF616. Others may find it useful. 

I have not tried repairing a cracked body. The key thing would be to obtain an airtight seal within the body and hence maintain a vacuum to drive the paddle, and for the inside wiping surface to remain smooth so that the paddle itself does not have resistance or get damaged over time. I don't think that the bodies take much stress. You might have luck if you can find a glue that would penetrate and fill the crack and then harden and remain in position, rather than trying to weld or fill the crack with molten metal. A thin epoxy might be able to be forced into the crack and then smoothed out on the inside before it can harden? IDK. Do you have access to an industrial adhesives company and see what they can offer you?

All the best,

Mike
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

... You might have luck if you can find a glue that would penetrate and fill the crack and then harden and remain in position, rather than trying to weld or fill the crack with molten metal. A thin epoxy might be able to be forced into the crack and then smoothed out on the inside before it can harden? ...

I think I'd be inclined to drill both ends of a crack to check it, then chase the crack with the dremel to widen it enough to get an epoxy putty in to fill the crack and the drill holes... form it to fit and then sand or grind to suit (and chasing the crack with the dremel has the added benefit of making it easier for me to see LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2020 at 9:35pm
Hi folks,
I am ready to paint the motor black. I am concern if by sprying over it I could clog some air passages. Any recommendation?

Thank you and stay well
Chris
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2020 at 12:12am
Any suggestion to do the painting? Thanks!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2020 at 1:28am
  The air inlets are under the tin cover behind the helper handle. You should be fine. Don’t forget to mask off that pretty chromed handle! BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2020 at 6:18am
I always like to paint the individual parts separately before assembly, but that's just me. 

As Bruce says above.

There is a small hole in the on/off control lever cover that you might want to temporarily plug before painting, so that paint does not get inside the control. I have previously used a broken off toothpick to plug these kinds of holes. Works well if it fits. 

Mike
ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 11:02pm
Hi guys, so I took this weekend in confinment to progress with the paint job. 

I covered with masking those areas that shouldn't get paint

And this is the finish job!

I hope it works well. I tried sucking into the inlet tube and it moves on one direction. Once it gets to one side I need to blow for it to come back. Not sure if this is correct and if once with the engine vacuum it will work better.

Thanks for your help
Regards,
Chris
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2020 at 2:18am
Lookin good
Mike in AZ
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2020 at 8:11am
Nicely done Chris.

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

ChrisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 5:46pm
Thanks guys. I just need to find the ball for the control knob that is missing. 

Regards,
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by ChrisP ChrisP wrote:

...I tried sucking into the inlet tube and it moves on one direction. Once it gets to one side I need to blow for it to come back. Not sure if this is correct and if once with the engine vacuum it will work better....

Originally posted by ChrisP ChrisP wrote:

.... I just need to find the ball for the control knob that is missing.... 

Nice work!

The suction only goes one way on the vacuum hose.  You'll probably need a lot more pressure to see the wiper switch on its own.

I didn't know the knob was threaded.  I'm sure you can size the threads and hopefully have a bit of luck here:
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>