Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can a CJ2A be a Class II UTV?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a CJ2A be a Class II UTV?
    Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 3:10am
I am contemplating registering my CJ2A as a 'Class II" UTV. I wonder if this will give access to more trails or just be additional governmental PITA?

Here is how Oregon defines a Class II UTV...

'Class II ATV, as defined in ORS 801.193 means any motor vehicle that weighs more than or is wider than a Class I all-terrain vehicle, is not a Class IV all-terrain vehicle; Is designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain; and is actually being operated off a highway or is being operated on a highway for agricultural purposes under ORS 821.191. Most riders refer to a Class II ATV as a Truck or Jeep (SUV), Dune Buggy, or Sand Rail. "

It's been a slow day...
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 3:18am
You wouldn't license it as a UTV but that is the Off road permit you would have to have if your going on a recreational area like Sand Lake and various other areas. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PERMIT to operate in these areas. This has nothing to do with registration to operate on the road.

There are pages and pages of explanations on line
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 12:00pm
Yes, what Mark said. In most states this is the case. To drive the Jeep to your destination, you would need any on road registration that the state requires. To use the CJ off road in the designated area you need this permit.

Now I do not know if this is legal, but I have put a "Slow Moving Vehicle" triangle, or 'farm triangle device', on the back of my CJ-2A & drove it below 30 MPH with no plates in many states, & gotten away with it. Again, I do not know if this is legal, but it has been done.

If I wanted to get to Sand Lake this way I think it would be OK. A very long drive, but OK, I would still need the 'Class II" UTV permit though.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 11 Aug. 2018 at 12:03pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 5:56pm
Registering as a class II UTV will get you LESS access as you will forfeit on road use. Just get an ORV sticker in addition to your license plate. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 8:39pm
The Willys is licensed in California. It seems that more and more trails are "ORV only", and I am thinking that I could register for both on-road and off-rapod use.

Seems that each state has varying regs regarding ORV licensing. Mybe it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 11:53pm
Your license plates are good for all roads, including gravel forest roads. In Oregon you will need an ORV sticker for trails and recreation areas. It’s a $10 item separate from your plate and available almost anywhere. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 10:02pm
I looked into this in Idaho, and basically I was told that I could either register normally as an on-highway vehicle and have access to 'jeep' trails or I could register as a UTV and not be valid for use on-highway and have to trailer it to the trails.

There are 'exceptions' where you can license a UTV for on-road use, but you're limited to under 45mph and cannot drive on roads where the speed limit is over 50. This would effectively trap me in the Athol to Coeur d'Alene corridor. With work, I could make it as far north as Priest River, but could no cross the bridge over Lake Pond Orielle into Sandpoint.

Likewise, getting west towards Spokane or east to Pinehurst would be difficult.

I bagged the idea. Maybe someday I'll pick up a cheap Rokon to strap on the back.

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 11:48pm
I was up at a hunting camp I had helped a friend set up. I got back to camp (I don't hunt) and a ranger is there trying to bust some butts on a couple of guys because their ATVs did not have a valid OHV sticker on them. I took it for about 10 minutes and then I pointed over to my dirt bike. "Nope, you are fine as you have a valid state plate on it". I suppose some states have different rules.
uncamonkey
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

I looked into this in Idaho, and basically I was told that I could either register normally as an on-highway vehicle and have access to 'jeep' trails or I could register as a UTV and not be valid for use on-highway and have to trailer it to the trails.

There are 'exceptions' where you can license a UTV for on-road use, but you're limited to under 45mph and cannot drive on roads where the speed limit is over 50. This would effectively trap me in the Athol to Coeur d'Alene corridor. With work, I could make it as far north as Priest River, but could no cross the bridge over Lake Pond Orielle into Sandpoint.

I bagged the idea. Maybe someday I'll pick up a cheap Rokon to strap on the back.

Les - this is why I asked... lots of trails (in Idaho and elsewhere) are 'UTV only'. They are certainly wide enough for my 2A. There are several trails on the North Fork of the Clearwater that I would like to explore for fishing, but run into this problem.

I plan on towing behind my F350 and won't have many problems that are related to highway use.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 11:29pm
I believe some states will allow you to run an ATV on the roads as long as they are running DOT marked tires. I'm pretty sure that WY and AZ allows them.
uncamonkey
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Les - this is why I asked... lots of trails (in Idaho and elsewhere) are 'UTV only'. They are certainly wide enough for my 2A. There are several trails on the North Fork of the Clearwater that I would like to explore for fishing, but run into this problem.

I plan on towing behind my F350 and won't have many problems that are related to highway use.

You might have luck getting it tabbed as a UTV in Idaho. I had the option as long as I was willing to accept the highway restriction and could shed enough weight to hit the magic 2000 pounds.

I would recommend getting friendly with a local dealer selling the Mahindra Roxor. Mahindra is a huge company with lots of money to throw around and they're trying to get the Roxor accepted across the US as a UTV. If anyone knows how this is going locally, it will be the dealer.

By Idaho code, the Roxor too heavy at just over 3000lbs. If they're successful in getting the laws changed to accept it, we may have more luck lobbying to let us register the smaller CJs as dual-purpose vehicles, both on-highway and as UTVs.

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I believe some states will allow you to run an ATV on the roads as long as they are running DOT marked tires. I'm pretty sure that WY and AZ allows them.

To my knowledge, this isn't the case in Idaho. If it is, they aren't concerned with enforcing it. Either way wouldn't surprise me. I don't know enough about UTVs to know if it's common for them to weigh in over one ton. If it is, they're not enforcing that law in any regard either.

Edited by LesBerg - 20 Aug. 2018 at 7:35am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply