Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targhee: a Moab/Rubicon flatfender build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 2:13am
Mounted a tire on one of the new Dirty Life beadlock wheels, cleaned and inspected the TH 350 transmission today.  Tire and wheel went together nicely, transmission checked out well,  it'll get a new manual valve body, gaskets, bushings, filter, etc. and should be good to go.

1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 4:37pm
Looks like you are nearing completion on rebuilding drivetrain pieces and getting ready for some fabrication. Following this project along as all the ideas start getting crammed into a short wheelbase crawling machine is going to remain exciting!
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Looks like you are nearing completion on rebuilding drivetrain pieces and getting ready for some fabrication. Following this project along as all the ideas start getting crammed into a short wheelbase crawling machine is going to remain exciting!

Hey Brian, yes, we are at that point and, yes, I'm pretty excited about it.  Transfer case just arrived from Herm today, D18, tera low, tapered bearing. Picking up some steel tomorrow. It's looking like the wheelbase will be somewhere between 90-95. I decided to give up some of the advantage of a short wheel base to have a bit more stability when the nose is up in the air. From here on out we're hoping to work on it most Saturday mornings.

Edited by jbjeeps - 06 Mar. 2019 at 3:47am

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2019 at 2:32am
Got started mounting the engine into the frame today.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 7:30pm
Life has been getting in the way recently, but we've made some progress.  After putting the transmission together we decided to put in a heavy duty sprag, so, trans came back apart, new sprag installed, trans back together.  Trans and transfer are now back on the engine.

Next up, put the body on and decide where the engine needs to be.

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by jbjeeps jbjeeps wrote:

Life has been getting in the way recently...

I know what you mean. Why does it seem like the Jeep project has to take the brunt of the time shortage?  Feeling the same way about “Elmo”. 

Is your plan to scoot the drivetrain to the driver’s side and squeeze a small diameter front driveshaft by the TH350?  
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 11:52pm

I know what you mean. Why does it seem like the Jeep project has to take the brunt of the time shortage?  Feeling the same way about “Elmo”. 

Is your plan to scoot the drivetrain to the driver’s side and squeeze a small diameter front driveshaft by the TH350?  

Yes, never enough time. I'm still hoping to have it ready for a first drive around mid-summer, but we're going to have to step it up to get there.

Looks like we'll have some time this weekend to put the body on and get a better idea where the engine needs to be.

We'd hoped to be able to use a 3 1/4" yoke on the front of the transfer, but it wouldn't clear the transmission, went with a 2 3/4".

Edited by jbjeeps - 09 Apr. 2019 at 11:55pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 4:44pm
Made a little progress last night. Finally got around to mounting the rest of the tires.  These are Milestar Patagonia M/T 35 x 12.50 x 17 tires on Dirty Life beadlock wheels.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 10:55pm
Worked on getting the engine lined up yesterday.  Looking good so far.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2019 at 12:36pm
We made good progress yesterday. The engine mounts are built and installed. The engine is now in the frame, no more engine hoist holding it up.  I put a few more pictures on the Instagram page for those who might be interested.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2019 at 6:01am
Finally got time to do get some work done.  Three of us had a good work day today. Started out to set up the shock towers, but then decided to attack the frame. Body and engine came off, cut off brackets, filled holes, boxed the frame, ground it all down and finally cut off the front frame horns.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 1:06pm
Two days in a row! We were able to reschedule some things and spent a second day working on the Jeep yesterday.  Made good progress. Finished cleaning up the frame, boxed the front end, put on some 4 link brackets, the front shock towers and put the engine back in. We'll be doing some more work in a couple weeks.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 3:55pm

A Recap on the History of this Project.

It’s been almost a year since this project began.  I’ve been doing a little reminiscing and decided to write up a short summary for those who might be interested.

There are now two rather lengthy threads related to this project.

It all began late last summer.  I was perusing You Tube and found some videos by Jeff, Stan, et al., on their trips through the Rubicon and Moab.  Up to that point I hadn’t ever had much interest in rock crawling, but after watching those videos a few dozen times I quickly moved the thought of building something to run those trails to the top of my bucket list.

I found a nice clean late ’48 CJ2A down in Utah, made a quick afternoon dash down there and got home with it just after dark. I’d hoped to stop in and meet Stan, but we weren’t able to make the connection.  Still looking forward to that meeting.

I imagined a mostly stock flatty, maybe some different gears, springs and tires.

I started the first thread in the “Discussion” forum and got lots of good suggestions and advice. Once I had a general idea of what I wanted “Targhee” to be I started this thread in the “Projects” forum.  I’m grateful to everyone here who has contributed to these threads.

At about the same time I sent my good friend Eric a short text telling him I decided to turn an old Jeep into a rock crawler.  Eric is a talented technician and craftsman who’s built more than a few very capable off road vehicles. He quickly replied: “OMG! You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for you to do this! You’d better not wus out on me . . .!”

Eric and I had some good talks on how Targhee should go together.  I’ve always been a “mostly stock” person and so I leaned that way, Eric definitely leans the other way. I eventually saw the wisdom of his advice and we started to move away from “mostly stock”.  

Stock springs and shocks got replaced by 2.5” Fox shocks with massive shock towers and a 4 link suspension.  Then the little L head was changed out for a late model 4.3 V-6. The standard transmission went away and a TH 350 with manual valve body took it’s place. Behind it will be a Herm built D18 with Tera Low gears. Manual steering became a full hydro system. Corbeau high back seats with modern belts will sit inside a full roll cage. Tire size grew to 35x12.5x17 on bead locked wheels. The wheel base will end up at about 93”. The whole thing will have a nice coat of satin black paint.

Along the way I switched frames.  I had started out with the late ’48 2A frame. But it was so clean, complete and original that I couldn’t talk myself into tearing it all apart.  I found a bare 3B frame over in Wyoming, the owner and I met in Jackson Hole, had a good lunch together and I brought that frame home.

I’ve spent most of the past winter gathering parts.  Work has been slow but steady as we both tried to find time to fit it in with the rest of our lives. 

Bob has recently joined our little team.  Another talented technician and craftsman, his help is definitely appreciated.

The pace of the work has picked up, but we’re not going to make the mid-summer deadline I’d hoped for. Maybe early fall.

And there’s more. There’s some very cool news I haven’t said anything about yet.  So stay tuned.

ghamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:59am
just read the whole thread....

talk about scope creep!  lol

looking forward to see the results!
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 4:39am
Originally posted by ghamer ghamer wrote:

just read the whole thread....

talk about scope creep!  lol

looking forward to see the results!

Ha, yeah, a little bit of mission creep in there. Thumbs Up

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 10:55pm
Awesome to see the progress you are making    A little mission creep is nothing to worry about and is definitely a lot cheaper to accommodate when you are still dreaming vs after it is complete like most of us encounter.

Do you have some design parameters to follow on your suspension system? Particularly the 4-link geometry, spring rate, and ride height.   
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2019 at 3:40am

Awesome to see the progress you are making    A little mission creep is nothing to worry about and is definitely a lot cheaper to accommodate when you are still dreaming vs after it is complete like most of us encounter.

Do you have some design parameters to follow on your suspension system? Particularly the 4-link geometry, spring rate, and ride height.   

Thanks Brian, always feels good to be making progress.  We wanted to increase wheelbase and keep center of gravity as low as possible. My friend Eric has been using a suspension geometry calculator and an excel spreadsheet to come up with the design. That, plus some experimentation should give us a pretty good setup when done.

geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 7:23pm
Why are the post 1949 frames better.  I have the original frame under my 1948.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>