Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targhee: a Moab/Rubicon flatfender build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by geasson geasson wrote:

Why are the post 1949 frames better.  I have the original frame under my 1948.

As I understand it, the CJ2A frame was changed at about midyear in the 1948 model year.  The biggest difference was a change in the frame thickness from 12 gauge to 11 gauge steel.  I think this change was made in preparation for the new CJ3A model. This new frame eliminated the gussets used to attach the front bumper used on the earlier frames. 
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 3:57am
We had another good workday today.  Started at 8:00 a.m. and finished up about 4:30 in the afternoon. Eric and Bobby cut, shaped and welded all day and when the dust settled the front truss was done, the steering ram was attached and most of the 4 link set up was tacked on. We've got another workday scheduled in a couple weeks, should have a rolling chassis when that's done.

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 4:41am
You guys get stuff done and with full hydro steering Targhee is getting serious!  Nice fab work Thumbs Up
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

You guys get stuff done and with full hydro steering Targhee is getting serious!  Nice fab work Thumbs Up

Thanks Brian, I'm feeling good about our progress, these guys are great to work with, very talented. Yes, I think my old arms are going to like that steering. Wink

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 2:48am
It rolls!  Great work today.  Eric, Bobby and John were hard at it.  Eric and Bobby worked on the frame and John got started on the body work. Center crossmember designed and built, rear truss done, rear 4 link in and the body is getting closer to paint.

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2019 at 3:16am
Any updates?
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Any updates?

Hi Brian, thanks for checking in. No progress recently.  The guys who are helping me have several other projects related to this fall's SEMA show they need to get finished so we've put this one on hold for a while. We're hoping to be able to get back on it after SEMA wraps up and have it ready for EJS 2020. 

After I picked up that 3B body I told you about I briefly considered using it, but I've decided to stick with the 2A body. So the 3B body is now another "future project". :)

But, there have been some pretty cool things going on in the background during this build that I'm looking forward to telling you about, so, stay tuned!

I've been following Elmo's progress, nice work there!  Glad you found a good grill. I still haven't heard back from the guy with the 3B parts, I'm hoping he's okay. 

Edited by jbjeeps - 30 Sep. 2019 at 1:53pm

Seagimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2019 at 8:12am
I haven’t noticed what width of axles you are using. Wheel-face-mounting-surface to wheel-face-mounting-surface.
Also what offset the wheels are.
I’m not sure but is that ram steering street legal?
I’m thinking what would be better, power saginaw, power rack, or would electric be strong enough.
If I go with the power rack could I possibly add a ram to steer 37” tires and be street legal?  

Edited by Seagimp - 05 Oct. 2019 at 8:22am
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2019 at 3:51pm
I can see you cut your front crossmember out.  If you are interested in selling it, I need one!  
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 9:08pm

This project, and I, are both still alive and well here in eastern Idaho. Unfortunately the guys who have been helping me have been swamped with other things, so we haven’t made too much progress this winter.

However, the good parts have continued to arrive and we’re still hoping to get back to work soon, although it doesn’t look like we’ll make EJS this year. 

Santa was good to us last month and brought boxes full of stuff including a fuel tank, fuel pump, filter, radiator, and a Painless wiring harness.  The engine wiring harness arrived from Howell Engine Development, Inc. this week.  As previously mentioned, the engine is a GM Ecotec LV3 4.3 V-6 out of a 2016 Silverado.  Howell is also reprogramming the computer, that should be here in a week or two.

So, even though we’re not making the progress I’d hoped for, we’re still moving forward, sort of. :)

Edited by jbjeeps - 26 Jan. 2020 at 9:20pm

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 9:31pm
Santa didn't bring me ANYTHING last month.  I need to find a new Santa!  Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 9:20pm
Just a quick shout from the distant past.  It's been over three years since I started this thread and more than a year and a half since my last post, so here's an update.  This build is still alive and well and slowly moving towards completion.  There's been a lot of water under the bridge, many changes, a few surprises and some very talented guys to thank for helping me get to this point.  I should have time this coming weekend to post more pictures and give some details, but for now, here's how it sits.

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 10:29pm
Good to see that Eastern Idaho is still well represented here Jack.  Thanks for checking in..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 12:42am
Do you collect chainsaws or do you just need to cut down a lot of trees?  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 9:29am
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Good to see that Eastern Idaho is still well represented here Jack.  Thanks for checking in..

Thanks Rick, this has been an on again/off again project for sure, it's great to finally get to this point.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Do you collect chainsaws or do you just need to cut down a lot of trees?  Big smile

Well, yes and yes.

I started collecting old Homelite chainsaws about 15 years ago. I really like the Super EZ, XL12 and SXLAO models from the 60's and 70's.

I also do a lot of fence work and firewood cutting on our son-in-law's farm, so those old Homelites get used often.  And I have a couple of modern Husqvarna saws that get plenty of use too.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 12:56pm
Here are some pics of recent progress.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112