Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targhee: a Moab/Rubicon flatfender build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Those are some nice looking tires Jack!  Definitely going to be all your Dana 30 wants even with the chromoly shafts. I am looking forward to hearing about your new ideas.

Thanks Brian, yeah, I’m wondering about them a little too. They’re bigger in person than they were on the website. 😉 I think they’ll be okay, we’ll see. I got them for a good price so if I decide to switch to 33’s I should be able to sell them pretty easily. I went with 35’s to get as much clearance under the Jeep as possible. I’m also planning to use the Jeep as a “sand crawler” out on the St. Anthony Sand Dunes where we ride. These should give me plenty of float. 

Edited by jbjeeps - 19 Nov. 2018 at 1:52am
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 3:18pm
I like the way this one is put together. 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 7:51pm
Season's Greetings and Merry Christmas to you all!

I haven't updated this thread in a while so I thought I'd do one more before the New Year.

We haven't done much actual hands on work lately, but there has been a lot going on and I am really pleased with the direction this project is going.  Way different than I had originally thought, but I'm excited to see how it all turns out.

No that's not mine, but I really like the way this one looks (except for those low hanging exhausts) and maybe mine will grow up to look something like it when it's all done.  I've always liked the color orange. A nice paint job is probably not in the budget for this year, but I can dream. Wink

And my thanks to Blueberry for this inspiring look at the "business side" of things.  After lots of reading, thinking and scratching my head about suspensions I've decided to go with a 4 link system front and rear.  Artec Industries makes a great looking kit.  Ours should be here is a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to use the 4 link to stretch the wheelbase to somewhere between 85-90". 

Artec shock towers are already here. At the moment I'm thinking we'll go with Fox shocks, but that might change. 

The rear Dana 44 is all cleaned out and just waiting for us to find some time to fill it with the new parts. Yukon Grizzly locker and 5.38 gears, just like the front. 

We picked up this core TH350 from one of the local shops.  We'll use it to test fit.  I've always been a stick shift driver and it was hard to move away from that, but I think I'll like the automatic. It'll have a D18 behind it. 

Instagram anyone?

I'm not a big social media user, but I decided to set up an Instagram account to post some pics. I've been selling off things I own to help fund this project, so I decided to call the Instagram account:

old_money_2a

Check it out.  Follow me if you'd like.  I've been posting pics a couple times a week.

That's it for now. I'm not sure Targhee will be ready to go by the beginning of the season, but I'm hoping to have it put together by at least the end of the summer.  

I'm going to try to get to Moab for E.J.S. this spring.  I may be looking for a seat to ride along in.

Happy New Year to you all!  

Jack

Edited by jbjeeps - 26 Dec. 2018 at 7:54pm

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 11:02pm
Hey Dylan, If you, your Dad or your Grampa are interested. I would be happy to contribute to your R and D funds to find a EFI for a Dauntless V6. I am considering the same for my 2A . You saw it a little over a year ago after the Fall Willys Reuni

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2018 at 6:32pm
Jack,

You are getting a collection of some nice pieces and have some good ideas! I am not familiar with the aftermarket 4-link kits available, but I assume what you have is a kit containing brackets and joints that gets you started in the right direction? Going to enjoy watching this project go together! This forum and YouTube is about the extent of my social media experience so I am not sure about instagram, but I will look into it.

John,

Thanks for the offer, but don't worry about the R&D funds. We are going to start with a crank trigger and junkyard components and see where that gets us with fuel injecting the Dauntless for Elmo. But if you make your way south into our neck of the woods again swing by and check out the progress so far on the frame and body!
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Jack,

You are getting a collection of some nice pieces and have some good ideas! I am not familiar with the aftermarket 4-link kits available, but I assume what you have is a kit containing brackets and joints that gets you started in the right direction? Going to enjoy watching this project go together! This forum and YouTube is about the extent of my social media experience so I am not sure about instagram, but I will look into it.

Hey Brian, yes, the pile is growing for sure. I'll be using Artec Industries Easy 4 Link Kit B, pretty complete. I took alot of time making the suspension decision, now that that's done I think we'll start moving forward. We actually did some real work last night, got the Dana 44 put together.  Thanks for your encouragement and enthusiasm for my project. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting it done and getting out there with you and the others. 

I'm definitely an Instagram novice, no plans to be a big time poster, but it's an easy way to post some pics and maybe connect with others who have similar interests. My Instagram account is:  old_money_2a

Yukon 5.38 r&p, Grizzly locker

Edited by jbjeeps - 29 Dec. 2018 at 4:38pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:50am
We had a few hours this morning so we finished up the rear axles.  The axle shafts looked good, so rather than replace them we put new bearings and seals on, put them in and added the gear lube.

Still waiting for the suspension parts to arrive.

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 1:25pm
I'm very surprised there'd be any reason to use a limited slip friction modifier with a locker
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

I'm very surprised there'd be any reason to use a limited slip friction modifier with a locker

Does seem unnecessary, doesn’t it? It was in the box so I put it in. It’ll only be in there for a few hundred miles and then I’ll drain and refill. 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 1:13am
A Different Frame

I had originally planned to strip the 2A roller frame and put the "new" axles, engine, etc. on it. But it's such a clean, solid and complete original I decided to leave it the way it is.  So I went looking for another frame.  Found this CJ3B frame over in Wyoming and brought it home today.  The right front frame horn will need a little straightening, but otherwise it looks good.  I think it'll work for us.

Now I just need to decide what to do with the 2A roller.  A future project maybe? We'll see . . .

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 1:19am
Excellent !
I'm certainly a big fan of the CJ3 frames and even the M38 frames in lie of early MB and 2A frames.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Excellent !
I'm certainly a big fan of the CJ3 frames and even the M38 frames in lie of early MB and 2A frames.

Thanks Oldtime, I remembered that you had said that and so I was pleased when we found this 3B frame.  It looks like it was hit on the right front corner at some point and someone did a poor repair job. We'll need to get that corner squared up again. Other than that, it's a good solid frame and it should work well for us. 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 11:00pm
Artec 4 link kits arrived the other day.  Just need a few more things and we'll be ready to start putting it all together. The fun is about to begin!

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by jbjeeps jbjeeps wrote:

Artec 4 link kits arrived the other day.  Just need a few more things and we'll be ready to start putting it all together. The fun is about to begin!

Jack,
I think you’re a little mixed up.
Tho WORK is about to begin.
The fun begins when you finish up and meet me in Moab for a shakedown run. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 2:29am
[/QUOTE]

Jack,
I think you’re a little mixed up.
Tho WORK is about to begin.
The fun begins when you finish up and meet me in Moab for a shakedown run. Smile
[/QUOTE]

Stan, so true! Can't get here soon enough for me! I know I'll need lots of coaching, can't think of a better team to learn from than you and Grandpa's Jeep!

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2019 at 4:44am
   I thought I just heard your mig running !   hahahaha

And that smooth crackle is music to your ears (your fabricator).

As I look at what you have compiled, it is in essence a Defender 90 with a long-arm kit. _ _ a good target for highway and trail.
   That is how I used to think of my '77 with the V-8, 4:10 gears and T-18 transmission, I was shooting for the Defender 90 mix, which was very capable back in 1984. With 3-kids back then I couldn't afford a Defender 90.
    From 'watching' many Jeepers Jamboree's pass by our camp on the Rubicon trail, back through the '90's, I was most impressed with the Cherokee's with the Long-arm kits, tera-low-gears with 5.38's and ARB's front and rear.
Those rigs made the trail look comfy and a pleasure. Ho-Hum

There are so many options with a 'build' that it can be quite difficult to decide on a final compilation of pieces and parts to reach the 'end' product.
And so rewarding to hit the key and have things work as planned.

You are in for some Big FUN.
   dang, I liked that Orange willys with the beard seats, it was Cool.

Len
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

There are so many options with a 'build' that it can be quite difficult to decide on a final compilation of pieces and parts to reach the 'end' product.
And so rewarding to hit the key and have things work as planned.

You are in for some Big FUN.
   dang, I liked that Orange willys with the beard seats, it was Cool.

Len

Len, thanks for the good comments. Yes, lots of choices go into these projects.  Mine started out pretty basic and as you can see has gone through quite a transformation.  I'm an old guy with a battered body and decided I needed something  that wouldn't beat me up too much.  I owe a lot to my good friend and partner in this project, Eric, who is the real brains of this operation.  He's given me good advice and helped me through those choices. I've sold a lot of the stuff I've owned and leaned heavily on the good nature of my wife to help fund this project, and I'll probably have to sell some more before it's done. But I'm really pleased with the way things are looking so far and can't wait to get out there and have some of that FUN you referred to. Stay tuned . . .

Edited by jbjeeps - 25 Jan. 2019 at 7:32pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 8:45pm
Real Work Has Finally Begun!

After months of dreaming, scheming, changing my mind and gathering parts, the job of putting Targhee together has begun.

Eric has the welder and tools we need at his place so we've moved the frame, axles, etc. over there.  

As you all know, finding time to work on our projects is always a challenge.  We're hoping from here on out to be able to work on Saturday mornings and maybe an evening each week. That's not a lot time so progress may be slow, but at least we're underway. 

The CJ3B frame I picked up last month will need a little straightening, but it looks like it will work just fine.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>