Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crank shaft seal retainer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank shaft seal retainer
    Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 7:52pm
When removing the crankshaft seal the retainer popped off of the timing gear cover. It appears that it was possibly spot welded. Does anyone have experience with rebonding the retainer? Or am i better off buying a new timing gear cover?
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 10:07pm
I believe the seal should have been removed from the inside of the cover..if you pulled it from the outside, you may have to remove the cover, rebels the ring back in place then install the seal.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 2:31am
Originally posted by usmcpmi usmcpmi wrote:

I believe the seal should have been removed from the inside of the cover..if you pulled it from the outside, you may have to remove the cover, rebels the ring back in place then install the seal.

Is this some computer "autocomplete" mistake?  I presume you wanted "reweld" here.  I hate when a computer thinks it knows what word I intend to use.  Sometimes programmers just need to be slapped.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 2:52am
Thank you for fixing my foul up...yes please "reweld" the piece back in place...and yes, I wish I could figure out how to turn off this stupid auto spell on this dumb smart phone. Any ideas? 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2018 at 3:33am
No ideas here... I refuse to own even a dumb cell phone.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wyrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 1:39am
Thanks for the suggestions. I was tapping the seal out towards the inside of the cover when the retainer came off too. I am a little worried about trying to weld it back in and be able to get it perfectly centered. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:45am
The oil slinger runs mighty close to the seal and retainer. If you don't get the retainer exactly where it was, or perfectly straight, it may rub. I think I have a spare cover, you want me to check?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:48am
Take a look at the retaining ring that came off, see if you can line it back up where it was welded on.

Edited by usmcpmi - 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:52am
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:55am
If you can send me the OD of the seal, and the ID of the cover piece, I could turn out a line up tool for you use to get it back in the right position. 
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
 Post Reply Post Reply