Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WW2 Petroleum spirit can

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WW2 Petroleum spirit can
    Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 4:03pm
Found this nice WW2 petroleum spirit can at a  Fleamarket . It’s in really good shape,the army paint still on it.

Giles

1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 4:39pm
.Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 5:14pm
Nice find.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 5:30pm
Interesting!, must be a Canadian thing "EH", never seen one here!..... What fluid was in it! ?.... Canadian Club!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 6:02pm
I sort of wondered what spirits are as well. The best I could come up with is it is white gas, "Coleman fuel" for use in gas lamps and such.
uncamonkey
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 6:51pm
It is a gasoline can, petroleum spirits meaning it is distilled (petrol) and therefore not oil. This is the standard container for gasoline until the jerry can in WWII replaced it due to the physical weakness of the design.

DonH
1946CJ2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by DonH DonH wrote:

It is a gasoline can, petroleum spirits meaning it is distilled (petrol) and therefore not oil. This is the standard container for gasoline until the jerry can in WWII replaced it due to the physical weakness of the design.

DonH

So this was a British/Canadian item or US or both ?....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 7:04pm
It's probably worthy of a research study. Not for me to do. I know that later in the war they preferred the captured German gas cans over the GI cans.
uncamonkey
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 7:27pm
The US used similar tin cans but call it gasoline rather than petrol. The US military still uses the acronym POL to describe storage and production facilities and the class of products derived from oil. This stands for Petrol Oil Lubricants and is taken from the British descriptive term. The term petrol is mostly used in countries the were under the influence of the British Empire and the term gasoline in countries under the influence of US oil companies.

The tin cans themselves were an oil industry standard container and used throughout the world. The cans are weak being made of tin coated steel and subject to crushing and puncturing when shipped in large quantities making them unsuitable for large scale military use.

DonH

1946CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 7:41pm
Thanks DonH. but it still looks to be a mighty small container if you are wanting to fill up a vehicle.
uncamonkey
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 8:01pm
Well, there's that plus the fact the cans are not easily refillable. In US use the cans were thrown away which is why the Allies started to manufacture the the stronger wider mouthed jerry cans that could hold either gasoline or petrolSmile
1946CJ2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 6:18am
My understanding is that those pictured cans were called "flimsies".  Is that correct?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

My understanding is that those pictured cans were called "flimsies".  Is that correct?

I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 2:55am
Thanks, Rick!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply