Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winger’s Kubota Diesel Swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winger’s Kubota Diesel Swap
    Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 6:00pm
Hello to the group. I am new to the page. I have a 46’ that was completely rebuilt by the previous owner with the original engine. After driving it for a few months (I love this thing!) I have decided to do the Kubota conversion. I have bought the kit from Greg at Overland and the steering and brake kits, rebuilt Transmission and transfer case from Herm the overdrive guy and have also ordered an engine from Tommy at  Enginemon, which should be shipped by the end of the week.

I have memorized Larry and Dan’s builds and looked at as many others as I can find. My plan is a daily summer driver and off road trips but nothing to aggressive. 

My build is;

Kubota V2203 DI w/ Greg’s turbo kit
T90 transmission
Front disc brakes w/ dual master cylinder
Herm’s manual Ford steering
Dana 44 rear
Dana 27 Front
32” X11.5 X 15 tires
I also plan on 4:10 gears like Dan’s setup.
A number of family members will be driving the Jeep so I am staying away from an overdrive. 
If anyone has Larry’s parts list let me know and I will forward my email address.

I look for all and any comments on this project.

Thanks for your time. Lenny Wing Morrisville Vermont

Edited by Winger - 23 Aug. 2018 at 12:02am
Winger
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 2:59am
Welcome and Wow, what a nice platform to start with! I have Larry's list around here somewhere, but he was really quick about getting back to me when I started my Kubota swap, so I don't want to steal his thunder. He was very helpful with advice. Likewise, Greg Margison has tons of good info and is also super helpful. He was working out of town/remotely for a couple of weeks at a time, so don't get alarmed if he doesn't answer right back. He has been on me to get back in the garage and get to it. I had Tommy (Enginemon) drill the second hole for the dip stick/ turbo return drain and had him swap the oil pans, eventhough he didn't approve of the turbo. He was great to deal with, but the engine I got was not rebuilt, just painted. With a rig that nice looking, you may want to strip down the engine and repaint it.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Winger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 12:11am
I just checked the differential gear ratio, it looks like I have 4.88’s. I will probably be doing about 40 mph at 2500 rpm! I think I will order 4.10’s from Herm. For my use should I consider a rear or front locker at the same time?

I don’t want to finish the brake or steering updates until I have the engine test fitted so I don’t have to redo anything.

Should I ask Tommy to skip painting the engine and paint it when I get it? 
Winger
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2018 at 2:56am
Awesome! I always love seeing another diesel swap pop up! There are getting to be more and more of us on here! 
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 11:46pm
Lenny,

I was on vacation but I sent the list to you the other day when I got back....keep us posted...looking great so far! :)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Winger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 2:07am
Well things are finally happening. While I was waiting for the engine I went ahead and finished the steering and brake upgrades. My engine arrived from Johnny on Sept 6th. Unfortunately it didn’t have the oil pick up tube. Johnny didn’t think the Carrier one would work with the new oil pan, Greg said get it from Johnny, it is the right one. It finally showed up last Friday. I put in a new o-ring andinstalled the tube and oil pan. Saturday morning I installed the fly wheel, clutch pressure plate and bolted up the new bell housing and transmission. My son in law came over at noon and by 4 PM we had the engine in place, (mounts not welded yet) with the rear cross member bolted in. Only had to take the engine in and out 3 times. We got pretty good at it by the third time! We had to cut a pretty good hole in the firewall to have enough room for the engine to move around. Greg from Overland Diesel is the best, having someone with that much experience to guide you along through the build makes the job go so much better. Larry sent me his parts list and has been very helpful as well.
I have a welder coming by later in the week to weld the mounts and help patch up the hole in the firewall. Today I took the radiator to the shop to have it cleaned and have the lower hose outlet moved so that it clears the new steering box. Now I’ll try to attach a couple if pictures. 

Winger
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 4:24am
Wow, you work quickly! Very nice.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 8:05pm
Looking very nice!
My recent Kubota swap:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-h22jCvQ8   ;
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by greenlakesgary greenlakesgary wrote:

Looking very nice!
My recent Kubota swap:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-h22jCvQ8   ;

WOW! That is sweet...kind a looks a lot like mine...Wink

Very nice!
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 9:49pm
Larry,
You were a big help with your list, it saved me a lot of leg work!!! The Jeep drives like a dream, I'm very happy with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply