Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I hide....but they find me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hide....but they find me
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 2:16pm
Things are getting strange around here...wait, I live in the middle of Kansas...strange is normal. Twice in the last two days I have been approached by people bearing information about Jeeps they are wanting to find homes for. 

The first Willys, judging by the non-Jeep enthusiast description given, is an "old truck" of some sort. He said it belongs to a friend of a friend and is parked on the latter friend's uncle's property somewhere in a county far, far away...but from what he was told third (or fourth) hand...it's a nice one, and cheap too! Sure....but you know you have to go.  Let's see..the kids moved out long ago..no one ever comes to visit us...that extra bedroom is almost empty..Jeep parts don't take up that much room. Oh wait, the '55 Chevy front clip is already in there. Damn.

The second informant appeared at the back door of my garage yesterday. The conversation began as follows; "Hey, I see you have a couple of Jeeps parked by your house (observant devil)...ya want another one"?  Me; "No...hell no"....why, what do you have"? His wife leans over...while glaring at husband and loudly states "he IS selling his Jeep to make room in MY garage". The husband slouches low in the seat...sadly staring straight ahead. I think I saw a tear. He quietly admits  "I kinda took it apart 'cuz I wanted to build it from the frame up"... He then further admits his primary skills are woodworking and playing music...neither of which are helping him with the Jeep restoration. I am curious now..how bad could it possibly be?  Maybe he took an already nice Jeep apart and the reassembly might be a walk in the park. Sure.

"Kinda took it apart"?  It looks like a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle removed from the box and scattered around a large room. He gleefully adds "it should all be here....somewhere". This probably sounds familiar to many of you..he continues "it ran good before it quit..the transmission seemed OK, I'm sure the title is in the house and I think it's in my name...all you probably need is a body kit..they are only about $3,000. Oh, and the tires are brand new...800 bucks...and only 5 miles  on them!".  He proudly points to the front bumper proclaiming "that is new!".  Let's see...I could find a nice Jeep somewhere...put these tires and the bumper on them and I would be in business.       

This truly was a nice Jeep...sometime around 1976. Yes Virginia, there is rust in Kansas..but this Jeep appears to have resided in the worst of the rust belt states or submerged for an extended period of time in the ocean off one of the coasts. Maybe it was a laboratory experiment titled 'How badly can a Jeep body deteriorate before it actually drops off the frame unassisted?'

Today is another day, I wonder what will magically appear on my doorstep. The third time may be charm..the elusive MB or GPW I have longed for might magically appear.    Have a great Sunday!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 4:56pm
Around here it seams if people have a Willys they try their damest to hide it from the world. Once when I spotted one in an open garage. I stopped a nice gal opened the door and when I asked about the Jeep she let out a little squeal said something about forgetting to close the garage door and to please not let her husband know I knew it was in there, Seams he did not deal well with people asking to buy his Orange Jeep!

They are stuffed in garages piled with cardboard boxes so only someone that could ID a jeep from the curve of a corner could tell that was what was under the pile of junk.

nope no one is coming up to me trying to off load a Willys anything around here.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 5:19pm
You do write well but I can honestly say that there has only 2 that found me. A MB and a CJ 3B. In a DK moment I bought a Commando from a house full of women down around Fluorence CO. Fun bunch, You could imagine the cigarette packs rolled up in shirt sleeves. We believed they were all guards at the womans prison there. My friend and me got the hell out of there fast. It only took about 2 weeks to fix what they did.
uncamonkey
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

You do write well but I can honestly say that there has only 2 that found me. A MB and a CJ 3B. In a DK moment I bought a Commando from a house full of women down around Fluorence CO. Fun bunch, You could imagine the cigarette packs rolled up in shirt sleeves. We believed they were all guards at the womans prison there. My friend and me got the hell out of there fast. It only took about 2 weeks to fix what they did.
We miss Colorado having resided there from 1978 to 1987. We lived and worked in the Arvada area but made sure to spend as much time as possible either in the mountains or at car related events. I made two trips back to the Denver area last year for family emergencies. I have no desire to move back after seeing the changes in landscape and attitudes!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 6:38pm
If I had more room in my garage, I'd sacrifice chickens to get them to find me if that would help.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 9:42pm
The CJ just needed to be 30 years younger. The truck is supposed to be a Willys but haven't found out what year yet. I am not complaining that the offers are coming but I am also suffering from a lack of useable space! I have made calls trying to find a home for the seller's CJ-5 but no takers as of yet.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2018 at 6:47am
   Moonrunner !

i'd iike to party with those women down the street ! and have a few smokes with them :)

I about bust-a-gut when you mentioned the '55 front clip in the spare room.
Hahaha, dang, that sounds like my kinda place.

in February I drug my trailer up to look at a willys, and the more I drooled the more nervous I got, and I finally told the guy " i'm leaving empty handed" !

If I had drug that pile of parts home, my wife would have Skinned-Me-alive.

I did restore and drive a '56 Chevy nomad wagon for 22-years, and sold it when I moved to the Pacific Coast just below Eureka, California. And I still have parts in storage for that. To match the Nomad, I restored a '57 Chevy pickup just following the nomad restore.
   A Buddy of mine and I found the women (25-years ago), and we were both terribly hung-over the next day and my wife insited we load all of the '56 and '57 parts and run them down to the annual swap-meet that afternoon. fenders and front clips and doors and tailgates, etc etc,.   That 40-miles to the swap meet was the longest 40-miles I have ever driven. But the fun we had flirting with the party girls was worth the pain. :-)

So, in conclusion, i'm opting for those cigarette girls in lieu of the jeep parts. Do you think they will be a no-show _ _ _ hahaha

Moonrunner, you think it is strange in Kansas, come to California, and walk over to the local post-office. I mean I never saw the likes of homeless people when I was a kid 60-years ago.

At least Mike (unreliable) has room for Chickens !   hahaha

Remember - it ran good before it quit.     such a bargain :)

Edited by Greaser007 - 28 Sep. 2018 at 6:55am
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2018 at 9:53pm
   Moonrunner:

She Said "he IS selling his Jeep to make room in MY garage"

I see good bargains on Willys stuff quite often here in California.
the miss-fortune for me too, is i just don't have the Room.

And the wife would then say "you ARE getting rid of this JUNK" !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 2:24am
greaser,  I never heard back from the seller so I don't know if she got Her garage back. No more offers have shown up at my door....yet. There are only a few actual Willys here in town and it's been years since anyone has used one as a daily driver.  A couple of them show up at the once-a-year car show the seem to get tucked away for the rest of the year.
 Post Reply Post Reply