Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Flooding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Flooding
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2018 at 10:53pm
On the Colorado Fall Colors Tour the other day, my '53 3b w/Solex carb began to flood out and quit during inclines/declines.  On the flats immediately after,  it would cut out and lunge forward as if recovering.  I would have to feather the choke to keep it going.  On the hills I would have to feather the choke and gas to keep it going but that only worked half the time.  The carb was recently cleaned out and adjusted for the 5500ft altitude of the Colorado foothills.  Otherwise, around town it drives fine.
Any suggestions?  And no, I don't need to hear answers of v-8 or v-6 swaps. Thanks. 
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 2:26am
What's your fuel pressure? Do you have a pressure regulator on the line? I have run both solex and Carter. The fuel pump, I believe, puts out between 3 and 4 PSI. That's find for the Carter. The solex wants like 1.5-2 PSI.
I run the solex both with and without the regulator and have not had issues. Others say you must run the regulator or you will have your overflow problem.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 2:39am
If you needed to feather the enrichener (a Solex doesn't have a "choke") it probably wasn't flooding.  The tiny screen on the inlet of the carb may need cleaning, or possibly you have a weak fuel pump.  Just a guess...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Casey Day View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 6:12am
Regulator set at 4.  Maybe a Weber with an air cleaner that fits under the 3b hood...
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 3:57am
I suggest setting your regulator at 2 and see if that works.  People give solex a bad rap, but they work just fine. I prefer the original WO, but I've run both without issue, assuming the solex works out of the box. They do have a habit of being DOA a bit more than necessary.
Casey Day View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 5:55pm
Thanks. 
notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 8:52pm
I had the same problem with my Solex on my '60 3B, I ended up picking up a fuel pressure regulator and set the fuel pressure to around 1.5 to 2. I'm still not a fan of the Solex, I just picked up a Carter YF and am planning on changing it out as soon as the weather is nicer.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
 Post Reply Post Reply