Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner and mystery part

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim in MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner and mystery part
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 4:00am
Hello!  I’ve just purchased a ‘47 CJ2A as a project and am learning my way around these vehicles.  This group has already helped me figure out a lot via search.

I got a lot of random parts with my CJ and have figured most of it out except for this...any ideas?

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 4:38am
Could it be a home made seat frame?
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
stone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 5:02am
I have a 47 cj2a and have not seen anything like that on my Jeep
Stone
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 7:05am
Can safely say that is not an original CJ2A part. 
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Tim in MD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim in MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 1:41pm
Thanks all.  I was coming to that conclusion too, thanks for the confirmation!   
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 2:55am
It looks like someone put some effort into it, so I'd guess it does (or did) something useful.
Looks about the right size for a Jerry can mount.
Does your Jeep have any holes that line up with what might be mounts on the ends?
Might be a brilliant ?????
or it might be random scrap that got tossed in the Jeep to get rid of it.
The two notches seem like they were punched or milled, not hacked out by Bubba.
Do they match something that needs clearance?
With enough guesses, we might find a use for it. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

Could it be a home made seat frame?

This would be my guess as well.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 3:37am
No wonder it's not on the Jeep; it's a left-handed hooyawah from a '52 Hardbargain.  One of the most talked-about vehicles that so many supposedly drive, but nobody's ever seen on the road.  Though it does look kinda handmade, so maybe that's not it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 4:31am
My bet is on a seat mount also....the two channel looking pieces with the punched half moon may be leftover pieces from a set of factory bucket seat mounts, maybe even slider/ adjusters.

They don't appear to be made of the same stuff as the other pieces. Will the whole assembly fit over the gas tank such as an original seat frame would (or maybe even over the toolbox)?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Tim in MD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim in MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 6:04pm
There’s no holes on the body that line up, but now that you say it there’s a couple odd square holes in front of the toolbox that might line up with the short legs.  I don’t have a legit passenger seat frame so that may be it.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 6:40pm
Doesn't look like holes "in front" of the toolbox would be right either though. I see that frame fitting 'across' the Jeep so to speak.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2018 at 2:01am
You have to wonder why so many flatfender Jeeps are missing their original seat frames.  What did all the Bubbas who removed them do with them?  Lots of them got cut down so high-back buckets could be put in their place, but so many Jeeps are missing their originals.  Ol' Unreliable came to me with two M-38 seat frames.  Why remove the originals and then replace them with ones that aren't right??  There I go again, trying to understand Bubba.  I should know better.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2018 at 1:59pm
It's a cabinet doorstop- keeps the dog outta the trash can.😄
Rick Estes
R Hayden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Hayden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 4:47pm
Looks like part of a bicycle rack off the back of a car or a van.

Post Reply Post Reply